2009 Recording Journal

Saturday April 18th

After a long day of tracking, the drums are 100% recorded for the full length. The final count... 9 original songs, and one cover were laid down. We're all impressed with the speed and accuracy at which Sasha knocked out the entire CD today. I can tell you, the aggression he hammered it all out with today built an incredibly strong foundation for the CD. Old school Chicago death metal with a modern feel. Even with a simple scratch guitar track, this material is beginning to take shape, and it's HEAVY.

After a long day of tracking, I had more them my share of drinks to celebrate the end of the day. Pain killers and beer kill much more then just the pain. METAL!

Weekend 1.
Friday night began the recording process with the drum set-up. Not much else was done as we got to the studio in the evening. So it was talk about the plan forward, take some pics and kick back til Sat Morn. Sat began at Noon with the Mic ups, Drum sounds, cymbal and head changes. Then we moved on to setting up all the click tracks and a scratch guitar set-up. Guitar was run straight to the board and a guitar sound was taken from one of Chris' programs. Then began a marathon session of anywhere between 3 and 5 takes of each of the 10 tunes, depending on the "Nailing" down of the best takes. Was a little chilly in there, so warming up was essential to getting the best tracks. By 10 PM we were rapping it up with drums done and it was time for some beer and mayhem. Sunday came and we got a sneak peak at the Novembers Doom acoustic set for Powerfest, as they practiced at the studio since Sasha's Drums were there and Paul and Chris were there too of course. Don't ask, I keep secrets very well.
Next weekend the Guitars, Bass and hopefully vocals will bring the true feel of the recording to life. I say "hopefully vocals" as Paul is sick all of the sudden. Hopefully he's well by the weekend. I'm very excited to hear the Guitars take shape. The equipment I will be using is:
My Marshall 410H Head thru a variety of cabs for the Right guitars and for the Left Guitars I will use a Peavey 6505 Plus. Big Thanks goes to Vito Marchese of Novembers Doom for the use of the Peavey. My ESP LTD Viper Baritone will be the Guitar on 95% of the recording. This Guitar has seen it share of Chicago Metal usage, as it is Larry Roberts old Baritone. I believe it's the one Larry used on the Pale Haunt Departure Video and it also was once owned by Chicago Metal Legend Shaun Glass of Dirge, Soil, Sindrome and Terminal Death fame. Otherwise I will use my 02 Gibson Worn SG or my Old Novembers Doom 86 Gibson Explorer for some solos and the cover tune we are doing.
Stay tuned next week, same TAT time, same TAT channel.

Any hints as to what song you are covering?

Very good studio report guys.
I haven't been in a recording band for MANY years.
I forgot how long a weekend in the studio can be.

Any hints as to what song you are covering?

We're waiting to see how it comes out before we decide what to do with it... Internet only release, bonus track... We'll see. Unless it comes out awful (and I can't see that happening) and it never sees the light of day. haha

Put it this way... It's not an obvious choice for a death metal band. It's from a very popular American band in the 90's, but it fucking heavy. Think west of the mississippi. :loco:

I can only think of Pantera or Metallica right now. I can't think of a Pantera song that references that time period, but Metallica has "Don't Tread on Me."

My first thought was Iced Earth too. :lol:

When you said 90's, 1776, and west of the Mississippi, the first thing I thought of was "The Rooster" by AIC, then I said, "Jasonic you big DUMMY, that song was about Vietnam" :lol:

I suppose you guys maybe covered a song by a popular 90's grunge band, but I can't think off the top of my head any songs about 4th of July, 1776, Declaration of Independence, etc.......

WAIT!!! I may have it....... Philadelphia.......
You are covering Boys II Men's "MOTOWNPHILLY"

I suppose you guys maybe covered a song by a popular 90's grunge band, but I can't think off the top of my head any songs about 4th of July, 1776, Declaration of Independence, etc.......

That was my other thought, that they're probably covering something that's not too metal to begin with. I'm not a grunge fan, aside from AIC's Greatest Hits, so I don't know what band or song it could be.

THESE ARE THEY IN STUDIO - WEEKEND TWO
Weekend 2:
Friday came early and off to Wisconsin we head. Once settled in the studio, we got out the Marshall and Peavey and tried some Cabinet combos and arrived at using 2 cabs, full stack. One was a Randall 4x12 and an older Marshall 4x12. Combined, the warmth and growling tone I was seeking was obtained. Then once again, a marathon session of Guitar tracks were layed. All the left Guitars (Marshall) were done late Friday night.
Sat morning after breakfast and hearing a Ghost walking down the stairs when Paul and Wiley were still asleep, came the right Guitars (Peavey). Tracking into the evening found us finished with the rythym Guitar tracks and on to the Bass tracks by Wiley.
Bass tracks led into the early morning hours but were done by 3 am thanks to Geetus' Jolt. Sunday came and once again after The Park Inn's great breakfast, we got back in for Vocals. Paul's growls are returning to the old Doom/Laceration style of just pure massive power. After Vocals came the solo's and licks thrown in to add life to the already BADASS Riffing tunes.
Solo's were varied between fast blazing shred and deep melodic smoothness. Ha Ha. You can hear Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy and Ufo influences eminating from every turn. Combined with the BoltThrower, Obituary, Mercyful Fate influences, this is sure to take many Metal Fans by FORCE.
Next is some final additions and mixing. A couple weeks and were done.

Stay tuned.
P.S. The EP WHO MAINFEST is available for Pre-Order NOW!!!
CLICK BELOW TO ORDER YOUR T-SHIRT/CD BUNDLE TODAY. BE PART OF THE FASTEST RISING MOST DESTRUCTIVE METAL BAND IN YEARS.
http://www.theomegaorder.com/These-Are-They
TATAD.jpg