2009 Releases

The new TV on the Radio is so so so good.

edit: just realized that's a 2008 album I didn't get until this year. *shrug* Only album I'm sure came out in 09 that I really liked was The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and the new Animal Collective.

Not a great year so far in my opinion, although admittedly have not checked out a lot of releases this year. U2's new album was excellent, and I was pretty surprised by the strength of Lily Allen's new album so I bought that was well.

Looking forward to Rye Rye's debut album 'Go! Pop! Bang!' which will be released in a couple months.

Only non-metal album I have from this year is Diana Krall's new one

You really had me interested in checking her out & I never got around to it...

Dream Theater are not washed up. They're still going strong & playing strong, they've just had some misses on their last few albums. I don't think they're done with their groove yet. I believe the next album will be pretty damn cool, so long as they don't let Portnoy sing on it. True, last good album they did was "Scenes II", which there is no denying is a great album, but they had good moments after that here & there.

Not a great year so far in my opinion, although admittedly have not checked out a lot of releases this year. U2's new album was excellent, and I was pretty surprised by the strength of Lily Allen's new album so I bought that was well.

Looking forward to Rye Rye's debut album 'Go! Pop! Bang!' which will be released in a couple months.

Lol.

The new TV on the Radio is so so so good.

edit: just realized that's a 2008 album I didn't get until this year. *shrug* Only album I'm sure came out in 09 that I really liked was The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and the new Animal Collective.

Aren't The Pains... just another hyped-up fuzz pop group?

TV on the Radio rules.

The Pains was a grower for me...at first it kinda bored me, but after a few listens I was hooked. I dunno what it is that makes it so awesome...catchiness, maybe? In terms of the genre it's probably dream pop/shoegaze.

Also, anyone hear the new Dredg album? Leaked yesterday so I downloaded, and it's fantastic. If you enjoyed El Cielo, I suggest checking it out.

I think Bat For Lashes's Two Suns is a good album. It sounds brilliant and it has good composition + arrangements

I think you are right. Something about her voice reminds me of Bjork, who I could never get into, but I much enjoy Bat For Lashes.
Anyone into the new Grizzly Bear and Camera Obscura albums? Both brilliant.

Electric Seas Spider - In Lucid Dreams
Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
Zion I - The Take Over
Eluder - Eluder
Gareth Hardwick - Aversions
Infinity Window - Artificial Window
Mountains - Choral
Rusuden - Death By Din Sync
Sunset Rubdown - Dragon Slayer
Emeralds - What Happened
Snailface - Snailface
Kyle Landstra - Recurring Dreams
Titus Adronicus - The Airing of Grievances
William Basinski - 92982
Jacaszek - Pentral
Celer - Capri
Stendeck - Sonnambula
Pan.American - White Bird Release
Lukid - Forma
Preslav Literary School - Beautiful Was the Time
Ethan Rose - Oaks
Failing Lights - Combat Stance

I think you are right. Something about her voice reminds me of Bjork, who I could never get into, but I much enjoy Bat For Lashes.
Anyone into the new Grizzly Bear and Camera Obscura albums? Both brilliant.

Yeah that's the Point. In some way she recalls Bjork, but I think she's got enough personality not to be just a sort of clone