2010 Dual Recto or Roadster?

grindchord

New Metal Member
Feb 2, 2011
has anyone tried the new revoiced 2010 Dual Rectifier? i was thinking of getting one...or maybe a Roadster! not sure what to go with...need a pretty decent clean but mostly play balls out heavy stuff.

i do plan on using a boost to get more juice and harmonics...

what do you think?

My vote would be Roadster, as having Lone Star cleans is a really nice option. As most will tell you, they're slightly different beasts for the gainy stuff. The Roadster is voiced a little darker and is smoother on the top end, whereas the Dual Recto has a more fizzy/presence vibe. Try em both.

I was actually reading on the boogie forums recently that even though the Roadster's marketing says that it has Lone Star cleans, the Roadster users feel totally opposite about that and say it's just marketing bs from Mesa. Either way I'm sure the cleans are solid anyway, just putting that out there. For the options I would go with Roadster, can probably get more tones out of it than the standard Dual Rec.

I was actually reading on the boogie forums recently that even though the Roadster's marketing says that it has Lone Star cleans, the Roadster users feel totally opposite about that and say it's just marketing bs from Mesa. Either way I'm sure the cleans are solid anyway, just putting that out there. For the options I would go with Roadster, can probably get more tones out of it than the standard Dual Rec.

I have a Roadster and a Lonestar.

I believe that Mesa has used the Lonestar circuit in the Roadster, however it's not voiced identically. They made it better suited to the amp's market for lack of a better way of putting it. The Lonestar's clean channel is better suited for dialling in a range of mild to heavy overdrive, probably because they expect that's how the typical Lonestar user will use it, whereas the typical Recto user will likely use it for cleans with little to no overdrive, and Mesa has tweaked the channel to work better when used that way.

I was actually reading on the boogie forums recently that even though the Roadster's marketing says that it has Lone Star cleans, the Roadster users feel totally opposite about that and say it's just marketing bs from Mesa.

I don't own the amp, nor have I played one in some time, so I can't confirm that. But you may be on to something. Quoted from Mesa's site (http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadster/roadster.html):

"Reverb is paramount in an amplifier this versatile and the Roadster gets the best! We’ve taken our all-tube circuit from the widely acclaimed Lone Star and the result is lush, ambient Reverb that blooms with sweetness as it bathes each note in old school glory. And because the Roadsters’ modes offer such a wide range of gain levels and sound styles, each Channel is fitted with a dedicated REVERB mix control located on the Rear Panel so Reverb can be optimized for each sound."

The only mention of the Lone Star sound is in the paragraph about the reverb. Not the clean channel itself. Interesting...

The only mention of the Lone Star sound is in the paragraph about the reverb. Not the clean channel itself. Interesting...

They don't mention it in the Roadster's copy, but it is in the RoadKing's copy;

"Improved Channel 1 & 2 now features CLEAN and FAT from our acclaimed LoneStar® - our best clean ever - along with incredible new TWEED and BRIT modes. These two channels alone make a mighty amplifier."

And, since the Roadster is a RoadKing without Progressive Linkage, it's natural to conclude that the remaining Roadster features are the same.