2012 half year list

That good, huh? I'm a big fan of the genre and have heard good things about these guys, but i've never gotten around to give them a serious listen. Methinks i'll change that immediamente.

Yeah I think it's that good. All of their stuff is killer IMO. While there are similarities to Fear Factory, Meshuggah, Mnemic, et al; they always manage to sound like Sybreed. I think vocally Ben took it to another level on this album. Death metal vox? Check. Black Metal vox? Check. Depeche Mode style vox? Check. Just killer all the way around.

1: Damnation Angels - Bringer of Light
2: Orden Ogan - To the End
3: Huntress - Spell Eater
4: Be'lakor - Of Breath and Bone
5: Sabaton - Carolus Rex
6: Ex Deo - Caligvla
7: Xandria - Neverworld's End
8: Liv Moon - Symphonic Moon
9: Burning Shadows - Gather, Darkness!
10: Wintersun - Time I

Lot of competition for those top 3 spots, it was tough to make an order for those, but I think I'll let it stand there. All three are exceptional releases that I can see myself listening to for years to come. Overall, a good year, although a few established bands underwhelmed me. Honorable mentions go to Lanfear, Lamb of God, Eihwaz, In the Silence, and Pellek's solo album.

Barring any late arrivals, this is where I'm at this year:

1. Witchcraft: Legend
2. Orange Goblin: Eulogy for the Damned
3. Eclipse: Bleed and Scream
4. Angel Witch: As Above, So Below
5. Magnum: On the 13th Day
6. HEAT: Address the Nation
7. Borknagar: Urd
8. The Reticent: Le Temps Detruit Tout
9. Clairvoyants: The Shape of Things to Come
10. Iron Fire: Voyage of the Damned
11. Circus Maximus: Nine
12. Accept: Stalingrad
13. Icarus Witch: Rise
14. Kamelot: Silverthorn
15. Sunstorm: Emotional Fire
16. Green Day: Uno
17. Xandria: Neverworld's End
18. Soundstorm: Immortalia
19. Jaded Heart: Common Destiny
20. Candlemass: Psalms for the Dead

Honorable mention to The Sword, Testament, Forte, Iron Savior, Fatal Smile, Dogbane and Graveyard.

Does anyone else think that this year's been really, really weak? Probably the lamest year for metal in at least 5 years, which is odd since 2011 saw 4 or 5 records come out that I still listen to ALL THE TIME and will likely keep a place in my top-20 of all time. Strange.

Does anyone else think that this year's been really, really weak? Probably the lamest year for metal in at least 5 years, which is odd since 2011 saw 4 or 5 records come out that I still listen to ALL THE TIME and will likely keep a place in my top-20 of all time. Strange.

Nope. I had at least 30 candidates to choose from this year, a lot of which would have been top 10 in any other year. There were a lot of really good releases in 2012.

I think it's a pretty good year actually. However, I will say that there are PLENTY of good and great releases, with very little mindblowing releases. For me, honestly the only thing that really got me was The Sword, Gojira and possibly Meshuggah.

Yeah, I have a hip hop album in my top 10. That pretty much says it all.

Nope. I had at least 30 candidates to choose from this year, a lot of which would have been top 10 in any other year. There were a lot of really good releases in 2012.

It's not like this year's been exceptionally BAD. It's just been exceptionally mediocre. The past few years have all seen some really great albums come out but that number is too low for my liking this year.

I didn't think it was a bad year, but I don't think it was as strong as other recent years we've had.

My favorite discs of the year so far are these, not yet in order:

Damnation Angels - Bringer Of Light
Seven Kingdoms - The Fire is Mine
Kamelot - Silverthorn
In the Silence - A Fair Dream Gone Mad
The Reticent - Le Temps Detruit Tout
Gloria - (Re)Nascido
Katatonia - Dead End Kings
Reinxeed - Welcome to the Theater
Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent
Andre Matos - The Turn of the Lights
Ihsahn - Eremita
Dark Empire - From Refuge to Ruin
Rush - Clockwork Angels
Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline
Circus Maximus - Nine
Kreator - Phantom Antichrist
Oddland - The Treachery of Senses
Soulspell - Hollow's Gathering
Wintersun - Time I
Suspyre - Suspyre

I'd give this year a solid B. I think the more extreme genres haven't had a lot of exceptional output. Then again, I haven't been on top of the extreme genres as I've been in passed years, so perhaps I missed a few gems.

Mgla's record is probably my favorite of the year. Degial is good if you wanna hear well executed FL death metal by Swedes. Genocide Shrines is crushing, Elysian Blaze is good, the Teitanblood EP/song/thing is, well, Teitanblood, and Ostots is good, solid black metal, nothing new to the table, but very good songs. Overall, you're completely right. Not a lot this year. 2013 and the new albums from Cultes des Ghoules and Vassafor will likely make up for it.

I really, really want to... but I won't.
Get your mind out of the gutter.

Mgla's record is probably my favorite of the year. Degial is good if you wanna hear well executed FL death metal by Swedes. Genocide Shrines is crushing, Elysian Blaze is good, the Teitanblood EP/song/thing is, well, Teitanblood, and Ostots is good, solid black metal, nothing new to the table, but very good songs.
I love Mgla, but the new one just never hooked me. None of the others have I heard. I will investigate. Thanks for the recommendations.

It's been a mixed bag. There were a few phenomenal albums that came out, especially from new or new-ish bands. But some veteran bands put out pretty mediocre albums too. The new Mob Rules does nothing for me, which is surprising since I've liked everything from the speedy "Savage Land" to the proggy "Ethnolution A.D", and considered "Radical Peace" to be their finest release yet. Paragon, Grave Digger, Cloudscape, Dragonland, Spheric Universe Experience, Fear Factory, Machinae Supremacy and Secret Sphere underwhelmed me too, despite being excited about all of them before they came out.

Does anybody have an actual list of albums that came out in 2012 or know of a way I can look this up?

I think #1 in my top of 2012 would have to be Tetrafusion's Horizons album.

The transition from this track

to this

Just wow'd me when I first heard it. If not number one then top three easily but I think its gonna be hard to knock this one off my top list.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't a bad year for hip hop. New Mellowhype, Death Grips, Vince Staples Domo Genesis. It turned out great.