2020 musical releases to look forward to

It wasnt all in vain, thanks to Katatonia youtube recommended me this:

Pretty fucking solid

45 minutes before the new Katatonia album is released, my top list for 2020 looks like this:

1. Dool - Summerland
2. Soliloquium - Things We Leave Behind
3. Testament - Titans of Creation
4. God Dethroned - Illuminati

Stuff I've enjoyed this year...

Metal (or metal adjacent):
Amnutseba – Emanatism
At the Altar of the Horned God – Through Doors of Moonlight
Couch Slut – Tae a Chance on Rock 'n' Roll
Cryptic Shift – Visitations from Enceladus
Cult of Fire – Moksha and Nirvana
Dragged Into Sunlight – Terminal Aggressor II
Drown – Subaqueous
Lychgate – Also sprach Futura
Mamaleek – Come and See
Oranssi Pazuzu – Mestarin kynsi
Sightless Pit – Grave of a Dog
Sweven – The Eternal Resonance
Ulcerate – Stare Into Death and Be Still
Wake – Devouring Ruin
Mourning Beloveth/The Ruins of Beverast – Don't Walk on Mass Graves

Everything else...
Agnes Obel – Myopia
Bohren & der Club of Gore – Patchouli Blue
Fiona Apple – Fetch the Bolt Cutters
Helen Money – Atomic
Insect Ark – The Vanishing
Self Defense Family – Leeds and Jesus of Nazareth

I've only given the latest City Burials a single listen, so far too early to pass any judgement there, and I'm waiting on listening to Old Man Gloom's Darkness of Being until Light of Meaning comes out.

Super curious to hear how the Bell Witch & Aerial Ruin collaboration album is going to turn out, same is true for the next Pyrrhon album.

45 minutes before the new Katatonia album is released, my top list for 2020 looks like this:

1. Dool - Summerland
2. Soliloquium - Things We Leave Behind
3. Testament - Titans of Creation
4. God Dethroned - Illuminati
Update:

1. Dool - Summerland
2. ...and Oceans - Cosmic World Mother
3. Soliloquium - Thing We Leave Behind
4. Testament - Titans of Creation
5. God Dethroned - Illuminati

Too early to rank Naglfar, Green Carnation and Paradise Lost.. Katatonia so far will not rank very high, who would've thought..

Interim score:

1. ...and Oceans - Cosmic World Mother (9/10)
2. Dool - Summerland (9/10)
3. Green Carnation - Leaves of Yesteryear (9/10)
4. Soliloquium - Things We Leave Behind (8,5/10)
5. Testament - Titans of Creation (7,5/10)
6. Paradise Lost - Obsidian (7/10)
7. God Dethroned - Illuminati (7/10)
8. Naglfar - Cerecloth (7/10)
9. Katatonia - City Burials (6/10)

Two more very worthy releases that will be getting a lot more air time the coming months are:

VAMPIRE - Rex (killer old-school death/black/thrash!)
DESCEND - The Deviant (extremely good progressive death metal)

Picked up the new Akurion, Imperial Triumphant, Khthoniik Cerviiks, and Krallice albums. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I've read good things about all of them, so I'm excited.

Work's been crazy lately, so my daily soundtrack has been mostly on the softer side, e.g. Bada – s/t, Hum – Inlet, Lianne La Havas – s/t, Neptunian Maximalism – Éons, and Pinkish Black & Yells At Eels – Vanishing Light in the Tunnel of Dreams.

That said, Ulthar's Providence and the recent The Ruins of Beverast/Almyrkvi split are excellent.

Some interesting releases coming up this autumn:

DESOLATOR - Sermon of Apathy (Sept. 4th)
LIK - Misanthropic Breed (Sept. 25th)
NECROPHOBIC - Dawn of the Damned (Oct. 9th)
MÖRK GRYNING - Hinsides vrede (Oct. 23rd)
COUNTING HOURS - The Will (Oct. 23rd)

Reactions: DarkGift
Meanwhile some time has passed..

I really enjoy the Desolator album, BY FAR your best release so far, 8/10.

I've played LIK only once, which I enjoyed, but other albums are demanding my attention more because of which I haven't been able to listen to it more.
NECROPHOBIC, the 'more of the same' feeling prevails. The quality is not such that it demands my attention. Slightly better than its predecessor, but a slight feeling of disappointment can't be denied.
MOLASSESS, almost a continuation of The Devil's Blood, a rather lengthy but good album, yet more listening is required to make a fair judgement about it. It definitely has potential.
DEMONICAL, not bad, but also simply does not demand my attention the way "Darkness Unbound" did.

MÖRK GRYNING, great album! Strong, focussed and consistent, I really enjoy it from start to finish. Great comeback.

COUNTING HOURS, I can't believe peeps like Jocke and particularly Stefan aren't absolutely raving about this. The is any Rapture fan's wet dream come true. And not just Rapture, also those who miss the days of Discouraged Ones/Tonight's Decision, Rain Without End/Grey Dawn will cry bittersweet tears of pure melancholic ecstacy upon hearing this fantastic album. It is everything I hoped for. Masterful timing as well, releasing this on October 23rd, mid-autumn going on winter <3 <3 <3

2020 is a terrible year, but for music it has been fantastic for me, it has been many years since so many excellent releases came out in one year. Even in the few months to come there are still several releases to look forward to, such as Dark Tranquillity (I enjoy the advance tracks) and Soulseller Records released advance tracks for Serpents Oath (Belgian black metal), Sarvekas (Finnish black metal) and The Deviant (Norwegian morbid death metal) which all sound very promising as well, they are all releasing on December 4th.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkGift
The fact that I'm able to compile a top-13 of releases that came out in the same year is pretty extraordinary. Goes to show this was a great musical year! All that in spite of the fact that most of my old favourites released disappointing albums that didn't even make the cut!

Albums:
1. COUNTING HOURS - The Will (9,5/10)
2. AND OCEANS - Cosmic World Mother (9/10)
3. DOOL - Summerland (9/10)
4. VAMPIRE - Rex (8,5/10)
5. GREEN CARNATION - Leaves of Yesteryear (8,5/10)
6. SOLILOQUIUM - Things We Leave Behind (8,5/10)
7. MÖRK GRYNING - Hinsides Vrede (8/10)
8. DESCEND - The Deviant (8/10)
9. DARK TRANQUILLITY - Moment (8/10)
10. DESOLATOR - Sermon of Apathy (8/10)
11. GOD DETHRONED - Illuminati (7,5/10)
12. HENRIK PALM - Poverty Metal (7,5/10)
13. TESTAMENT - Titans of Creation (7/10)

EP:
HINAYANA - Death of the Cosmic (8,5/10)

Honourable mentions:
REPUKED - Dawn of Re-intoxication (sleazy, rancid death metal)
KATATONIA - Dead Air (a very pleasant live record, great set, great performance and great sound!)

There are some releases still on the way that might shake up this list:
BLACKFIELD - For the Music
SERPENTS OATH - Nihil
SARVEKAS - Of Atavistic Fury & Visions EP

I had hoped for something (much) more:
PARADISE LOST - Obsidian (I hear some nice things, but I simply don't feel it, third disappointment in a row for me, shame..)
KATATONIA - City Burials (thank god for Counting Hours!)
MY DYING BRIDE - The Ghost of Orion
NAGLFAR - Cerecloth (such a long wait after the INCREDIBLE Téras, and they come up with this, shame..)
NECROPHOBIC - Dawn of the Damned ('more of the same' in every thinkable way, music, lyrics, artwork, sound..)

Blackfield shook up my list a little bit, I was pretty sceptical about the album in advance, but surprisingly I really enjoy it, managed to claim a spot pretty high up.

1. COUNTING HOURS - The Will (9,5/10)
2. AND OCEANS - Cosmic World Mother (9/10)
3. DOOL - Summerland (9/10)
4. VAMPIRE - Rex (8,5/10)
5. BLACKFIELD - For the Music (8,5/10)
6. GREEN CARNATION - Leaves of Yesteryear (8,5/10)
7. SOLILOQUIUM - Things We Leave Behind (8,5/10)
8. MÖRK GRYNING - Hinsides Vrede (8/10)
9. DESCEND - The Deviant (8/10)
10. DARK TRANQUILLITY - Moment (8/10)
11. DESOLATOR - Sermon of Apathy (8/10)
12. GOD DETHRONED - Illuminati (7,5/10)
13. HENRIK PALM - Poverty Metal (7,5/10)
14. TESTAMENT - Titans of Creation (7/10)