Language enthusiast
May 7, 2002
Utrecht, Netherlands
www.facebook.com
So, what music are you looking forward to in 2022? Me:

Eucharist (March)
Kvaen (March)
Porcupine Tree (June)
...and Oceans (album is done, but yet to be announced)
Soliloquium
The Wounded (been recording for a while)
Sarcasm (28 January)
Demonical (May, I only really like Darkness Unbound, but I'll give it a chance)
Blood Incantation (February, instrumental EP)
Darkane (they're working on an album)

Apart from that, I hope to hear new work from:
Daylight Dies
Soilwork
Alice in Chains
In Vain
Dismember
Arcturus
Enter the Hunt
Paatos
Cruciamentum
Keep of Kalessin
Hinayana
October Tide
Asagraum
Vltimas
Sarvekas (debut EP was great, hopefully we'll get a full-length this year)

Definitely looking forward to checking out the new Porcupine Tree, and Wilderun's new album drops next week iirc. Apart from that, interested in hearing the new Soliloquium of course, from what I've heard so far it's going to be an interesting one for sure!

New Within the Fall incoming too.

Reactions: MadTinus
Highlights so far in 2022:

1. IN APHELION - Moribund
2. EUCHARIST - I Am the Void

Honestly, Soliloquium hasn't convinced me like the previous album did, yet. I'll give it some more spins and see what happens.
Kvaen sounded strong and convincing, but I have to listen more as well, only played it once so far.

I rode the Machine Head wave when they rose to prominence in the 2nd half of the 90s but gradually lost interest after their first 3 albums. Apart from the occasional cool track nothing really ever caught my interest. After the departure of long-time guitar player Phil Demmel and drummer Dave McClain a few years ago, I thought they were dead and buried. But Robb recruited two new members and a new album was announced.

For whatever obscure reason I decided to give their new album a try, with no expectations at all (I expected it to suck, big time!). Yet, to my own amazement, I somehow liked it :eek: I wanted more and kept on playing it and it just kept (and keeps) on getting better and better.

What stands out to me in the first place, are the vocals, Robb is known for his powerful rasps and screams but on this album, he demonstrates he's an amazing melodic singer and really shows how to put palpable emotion in his vocals as well. Unhallowed is a great example of that, that chorus is just beautiful! So much feeling! The same goes for the album intro, almost a capella but full of emotion!

Secondly, the melodies! Each song has a melodic hook that lodges itself into your brain more firmly with each listen. Not only vocal melodies but also guitar melodies: the album's loaded with luscious melodic (twin) guitars, what a joy.

Colour me impressed (and still surprised)! Right now, I'd give this a 9/10.

I think this will be my top list of 2022:

1. MMXX - Sacred Cargo (9+/10)
2. IN APHELION - Moribund (9/10)
3. SOILWORK - Övergivenheten (9/10)
4. EUCHARIST - I Am the Void (8,5/10)
5. MACHINE HEAD - Øf Kingdøm And Crøwn (8,5/10)
6. PORCUPINE TREE - CLOSURE/CONTINUATION (8,5/10)

Excellent and very enjoyable EP:
UNHALLOW - Dæmonum

Cool, but not fantastic:
BLOODBATH - Survival of the Sickest
DARKANE - Inhuman Spirits
LORD BELIAL - Rapture

OK, but hoped/expected more:
KVAEN - The Great Below
SARCASM - Stellar Stream Obscured
SOLILOQUIUM - Soulsearching

Reactions: DarkGift