25 things you need to know about Maiden

From Kerrang magazine...even the ladies get a mention! :headbang:

25 Things You Need To Know About Iron Maiden

1. They've influenced every metal band on the planet
With their trademark guitar harmonies and thunderous rhythmic gallop, Iron Maiden have been plainly a huge influence on virtually everyone from Marilyn Manson :eyes: to Atreyu. Unfortunately, Maiden are also undeniably responsible for spawning hundreds of European power metal bands with ludicrous barnets. Bugger.

2. They saved heavy metal...twice!

In the late 70's and early 80's, Maiden with synonymous with the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal that also spawned Def Leppard and Saxon and revived a flagging UK hard rock scene. Twenty years later Maiden pulled off the same trick again as 2000's "Brave New World" emerged and introduced a new generation to the wonders of old metal.

3. The mascot is more famous than the band

Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie has been an instantly recognisable part of the band's image and stage shows for over 25 years. On Maiden albums and single covers alone he's killed Margaret Thatcher (twice), been locked in a padded cell, been buried in a pyramid, risen from the grave (twice), been a futuristic robot, a cowboy, and a WWII fighter pilot. Busy bloke.

4. They could have been named after a bodily function

Before forming Maiden, bassist Steve Harris played in various London-based rock bands, the first of which were called Gypsy's Kiss, a rhyming slang phrase meaning, well, piss! No wonder Harris opted for the name of a medieval torture device rather than a euphemism for urine when he christened his own band.

5. They spend a lot of time in the pub

Iron Maiden have several favourite drinking establishments, most notably at The Cart & Horses, where Maiden played their first ever gig in 1976, and The Ruskin Arms where vocalist Paul Di'Anno made his debut. Best of all, Steve Harris is the proud owner of his very own tavern, "Eddie's Bar", in sunny Portugal. Hic!

6. America branded them evil

As Maiden's 1982 album, "The Number Of The Beast" propelled them towards worldwide glory, religious groups in American denounced the band as Satanists. They weren't of course - the song was actually inspired by horror flick "The Omen II" (since when?!?!) - but that didn't stop Bible wielding loons from claiming the band were a danger to society. Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain recently became a Born-Again Christian, so maybe they had a point.

7. Celebrity endorsement can go either way

Having recorded "The Prisoner" based on the cult 60's show of that name, Steve Harris wanted to use dialogue from the show as an intro. Manager Rod Smallwood called the show's star "Patrick McGoohan", to get permission. "A rock band you say?" boomed the actor, "Do it!". There was no such co-operation from "Dune" author Frank Herbert, whose agent, receiving a request for Maiden to used a quotation as an intro to "To Tame A Land" gave this response: "Frank Herbert doesn't like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands and especially rock bands like Iron Maiden!" Ooooooh, get her!

8. A good ruck never does any harm

After a gig in Allentown, Pennsylvania in 1983, Steve Harris and Nicko McBrain had a huge argument after McBrain clouted a roadie who'd distracted him during a drum solo. Cheekily, Bruce Dickinson captured the entire shouting match on tape. Later released as a b-side (titled "Mission From 'Arry") the entire argument ends when McBrain (actually it was Steve!) spots Dickinson's tape deck, "Some c**t's recording this!" he bellows, not inaccurately.

10. Their records make you smarter

A glance at Maiden's back catalogue reveals that they have always had a penchant for borrowing themes and stories from literature and history. Whether it's a 14 minute adaptation of Samuel Taylor Colderidge's epic poem "The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner", songs based on Frank Herbert's legendary sci-fi novel "Dune" (To Tame A Land) or William Golding's harrowing tale of kids gone wild, "Lord Of The Flies", Maiden have consistently side stepped metal's occasional dumbness and sent fans straight to the library. (Um...no!)

11. You don’t mess with the gaffer

When then-guitarist Dennis Stratton began to drift apart from his bandmates while on the road in 1980 due to the usual “musical differences”, Sergeant Major Harris gave him the boot, reportedly claiming that he’d “rather sack a band member than tolerate dissent”. Blimey.

12. That’s not a tour…this is a tour!

Even by the excessive standards of the 80’s, Iron Maiden’s 1984-85 World Slavery Tour was a mammoth trek. It began in Warsaw, Poland on August 9th 1984 and went on for 322 days, passing through 24 countries. Impressively the band and crew consumed 50,000 cans of beer, 30,000 soft drinks, 6,000 pints of milk, 2,500 pint of orange juice and literally tons of food. (Wow, someone’s been studying their LAD booklet!! :rolleyes: Anyway, that still isn’t a tour! Metallica’s Wherever I May Roam/Nowhere To Roam tour of 1991/92/93 is a 'kin tour! They played 301 dates worldwide and were on tour for 2 and a half years!! Even their Madly In Anger With the world tour of 2003/04 is impressive for a band of that age – about 220 dates worldwide in a year and a half!! Just thought I'd mention that!! :dopey: )

13. Former vocalist Paul Di’Anno is a very scary man indeed…

Departing in 1981, vocalist Di’Anno may not have gone on to further success (well, he has really!). but his devotion to the rock n’ roll lifestyle has become legendary. For some hair-raising reading, try Di’Anno’s autobiography “The Beast”. As we said in our review, “there’s crime, guns, outrageous shag-fests and enough narcotic-related escapades to put even Mötley Crüe to shame!”. Lovely.

14, Metal is a game of two halves

As a teenager, Steve Harris famously turned down the chance to become a professional footballer to concentrate on music. But his love for the game – and for West Ham United in particular – has never dimmed. Maiden have their own team and regularly make other footie loving bands look silly, most notable Def Leppard who during the 80’s took on Maiden XI while on tour in Germany…and got thrashed!! Come on you Irons!

15. You wouldn’t let them cook your dinner

When Maiden frontman Dickinson was a boarding school he was expelled after helping to prepare the headmaster’s dinner by pissing on the frozen peas. The headmaster greedily ate the lot, but wasn’t too pleased when another pupil grassed up our urine-wielding hero. How delightful.

16. Everybody wants to be in the band (or one a lot like it)

Iron Maiden have hundreds of tribute bands, ranging from Columbia’s Frozen Maiden through to glamorous all-girl quintet The Iron Maidens, featuring superbly-named vocalist “Bruce Chickinson”. :headbang: Strangest of all, Nicko McBrain has his own Maiden tribute band called McBrain Damage.

17. They made concept albums cool again

With The Mars Volta and Coheed And Cambria doing prog concept albums, the influence of Maiden’s 1988 classic “Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son” can’t be overstated. A rambling yarn about a child (ok I missed the part about it being a child!) with heightened sensory powers caught in a battle between good and evil, “Seventh Son…” was ambitious and overblown. In the best possible way, of course.

18. They took on “Top Of The Pops”

When Maiden were asked to perform their debut single “Running Free” on “Top Of The Pops” in February 1980, they declined on the basis that they’d have to mime. When the BBC eventually agreed to let them play live, a dispute with the technicians’ union over sound levels ensued. The same argument re-ignited as the band returned to plug their “Women In Uniform” single later that year and Maiden began a boycott of the show that would last for more than two decades.

19. Their singer is heavy metal’s renaissance man

Despite his piss-related antics, Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson is actually a multi-talented smart arse. He once became on the of the UK’s top fencers and has penned two novels, “The adventures of Lord Iffy Boatrace” and “The Missionary Position”. He is also a qualified pilot and has worked for several charter airlines. Perhaps more terrifyingly, drummer Nicko McBrain can also fly planes. Let’s a get a cab, shall we…

20. You can have too many lights

Maiden’s stage show included pyrotechnics, vast inflatable stage props and a mind bending light show. And it’s not just the audience who get dazzled, as guitarist Janick Gers found on tour in Germany in 2000. Momentarily blinded, he plummeted off the stage front and was knocked unconscious, injuring his back. Ow.

21. They’re the most collectable band in metal

The first official Iron Maiden release, 1979’s “The Soundhouse Tapes” is a three track, seven inch vinyl EP in a distinctive red cardboard cover that has become the most widely coveted item of Maiden memorabilia. Copies regularly change hands on eBay for more than £200, but beware: there are countless bootlegs and cheap imitations in circulation.

22. They’re not strangers to the charts

Written by Bruce Dickinson for the soundtrack to “Nightmare On Elm Street 5”, “Bring Your Daughter…To The Slaughter” became Iron Maiden’s sole UK Number One single (so far, at least) in January 1991 when they sneakily released it after Christmas – famously a barren time for single sales – in a variety of eye catching formats. The single flew off the shelves and the band saw in the year as bona fide pop stars. (Wtf are they trying to say here?!?!?!?)

23. They know how to pull a crowd

Having headlined countless huge outdoor events, Maiden are no strangers to the big occasion. When they headlined the “Monsters Of Rock” festival at Donington in 1988 they ended up in the Guinness Book Of Records for having the largest PA system ever assembled. But few occasions could outstrip the gig the band played on January 19th 2001, as part of the “Rock In Rio” festival performing to over 150,000 screaming fans. (Bollocks, it was 250,00!!!)

24. They’re a phenomenon

Maiden has been the UK’s biggest metal band for the last 25 years, notching up sales of over 70 million albums worldwide. All but three of their 13 studio albums have gone top 10. 2003’s “Dance Of Death” album was only kept from the top spot in the UK by The Darkness.

25. They’re not going anywhere

As they enter their fourth decade, Iron Maiden show no signs of losing their ability to make an impact. With yet more tours of the world booked for early 2005 and the promise of a new studio album early in 2006, it’s clear that Maiden will be around for a while yet. The world of rock would seem extremely weird without them.

Right, and like Kerrang would give a shit if they split up!! Anyways, I thought you'd like to read it, even though Kerrang is full of shit and got some "facts" there wrong!

Which facts were wrong?

I have the RIO DVD set and I learned some about their lives on it; it was very interesting. I loved the way they hopped into the helicopter and landed behind stand and warmed up with some semi-portable amps, so professional.

Yea the Americans do consider Iron Maiden evil because of the Edie mascot and they think their worshiping Statin.!, but I leaned Maiden isn’t so spooky, their just a fun band that put on a fun show, a fantasy; however, some don’t separate the difference. Maybe if they saw the guitar player kicking Edie in the nuts, then they wouldn’t think its worship anymore…

Anyway, most of those points you listed sounded about right to me.

Metallicat180 said:
From Kerrang magazine.

7. Celebrity endorsement can go either way

Having recorded "The Prisoner" based on the cult 60's show of that name, Steve Harris wanted to use dialogue from the show as an intro. Manager Rod Smallwood called the show's star "Patrick McGoohan", to get permission. "A rock band you say?" boomed the actor, "Do it!". There was no such co-operation from "Dune" author Frank Herbert, whose agent, receiving a request for Maiden to used a quotation as an intro to "To Tame A Land" gave this response: "Frank Herbert doesn't like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands and especially rock bands like Iron Maiden!" Ooooooh, get her!
I would be willing to bet that Frank never heard of the request. He lived at the end of my street in Port Townsend WA (actually it was a dirt road) and was generally a jovial and pleasant man who loved to invent his gadgets and talk. While he certainly was not fond of "that modern noise" I doubt he would have been that vehmenent. If I recall correctly that was during the filming of Dune by David Lynch. Frank and David had many strong disagreements over content versus flash and we can see who won that war.

I really think that the terrible treatment of his greatest work, Dune, destroyed his spirit. After the movie came out he was never quite the same and his health declined until in 1986 he died of cancer.

From Dune:
"Why do you test for humans?" he asked.
--"To set you free."
--"Free?"
--"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them."
--"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man's mind," Paul quoted.
--"Right out of the Butlerian Jihad and the Orange Catholic Bible," she said.

RoboCaster said:
Which facts were wrong?
They said...

It was Nicko who ended the "Mission From 'Arry" recording, but it's actually Steve.

That NOTB was inspired by the film Bad Omen II when I've heard Steve himself say it is to do with a nightmare he had.

That Paul Di'Anno hasn't gone onto further success when he's still in the business today. He's not been hugely successful, but hardly a failure either.

That during Rock In Rio they played to 150,000 fans when it was actually 250,000.

Those are the ones I know are wrong.

Metallicat, once again you came up with some cool shit!! I love you girl!! This is some good reading. Maiden rules!! NOTB was the first album I ever heard. It was presented to me by a guy who thought I would be so impressed that I'd let look at my breasts!! :OMG: Didn't work and I took his album with me!!

MAIDEN67 said:
Metallicat, once again you came up with some cool shit!! I love you girl!! This is some good reading. Maiden rules!! NOTB was the first album I ever heard. It was presented to me by a guy who thought I would be so impressed that I'd let look at my breasts!! :OMG: Didn't work and I took his album with me!!
Hehehe, cheers girl!! :headbang: I love ya too!! I love all my Maiden brothers and sisters!! :worship:

Great about the NOTB - you stood your ground!! Well done!!! I was lucky enough to have a brother and sister into all the cool metal bands so I just "borrowed" their stuff!!! I always remember my brother had a giant Aces High poster of Eddie in the plane and it scared the shit out of me!!! I was only about 9-10 at the time, so it's ok!

Metallicat180 said:

.....influence of Maiden’s 1988 classic “Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son” can’t be overstated. A rambling yarn about a child (ok I missed the part about it being a child!).....
Yeah, er, first song....."Moonchild"!! :tickled: