+/-

B

bad nerd

Is there a conspiracy to dumb us through horrible music?

Let’s examine the state of contemporary popular music closely. It’s almost as if we can see a purposeful trend to dumb it down. In the past twenty years (about the same time-frame of the introduction of the music CD oddly enough) we see a shift towards hype, commerciality, and image over substance, quality, and talent. A serious critic of the current state of popular music cannot refute this trend. How, and why is this happening?

We’ve seen an apparent deterioration of critical through in this electronic age. This collective evanescence of criticism lies at the core of the shifting state of the music industry. Or, more importantly, is the shifting state of the quality of music, teaching us to be less critical in general.

A reluctance to evaluate music critically is prevalent. There seems to exist a dichotomy between those who actually evaluate the music scene critically and those who simply accept what is presented via MTV and popular FM radio. Is this dichotomy planned, or simply a result of responding to the culturally deteriorating masses?

To illustrate this odd split, we need only review the two most popular music publications, Rolling Stone, and Spin. In the current February issue of Spin, British rockers Radiohead received Spin readers’ best artist, album (“Kid A”), and song (“Optimistic”) awards, while the Rolling Stone’s readers gave their best album prize to the Backstreet Boys with their new release “Black & Blue.” Rolling Stones readers voted Limp Bizkit as best hard rock/metal band, while Spin’s readers voted Limp Bizkit as worst artist and also honored Bizkit with the worst-album award for the group’s latest release, “Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water.”

Clearly the polarization of the readers of Spin and Rolling Stone indicates a split between those with the ability to analyze critically and those who simply consume what is presented. An analytical assessment of the “music” of Limp Bizkit or of the Backstreet Boys reveals tracks devoid of any redeeming artistic or imaginative value. However, a similar analysis of the music of Radiohead reveals a better level of depth and artistic ingenuity.

So the question I present asks whether the music has become dumb in response to the populace response to mega-marketing of popular music; or, is there an effort to present non-artistic, non-imaginative music to dumb down the masses?

People generally like something they can sing along to without having to really pay attention. It is sad, but it is the majority and the labels take advantage of it. Actually, it hasn't only been the last 20 years, I'd say more like 100. Have you listened to the crap they passed as music back in the 20's and 30's? Ugh!!

Dumbing down comes natural to the music industry, but it is also concious, yes. I am constantly ridiculed for criticizing the current trend, with only a friend of mine and my father backing me up (My dad doesn't like Metal, but he does like Classical music, so he understands where I'm coming from with this.) It seems that if you don't shop at Anchor Blue (trendy store) that you are a worthless human being--no, not even human--who isn't worth giving a second look or even a job (I have actually been refused work because I didn't dress "trendy" (Blockbuster video.) I wasn't told that directly, but they said my appearance didn't reflect what the customer wanted to see. In other words, because I didn't have short hair and wear dickies, the customers wouldn't want to rent a video. I know, I strayed from music, but it is all related. My music style reflects how I feel, and basically when they reject me, my music is taken as "part of my negativity" as well. It seems that having feelings makes Metalheads pessimists. Anyone in Norway want a viking descendant as a roommate?