2nd mix ever: metal this time

arv_foh

Brian K
Oct 3, 2006
Columbus, OH
Check it out and give me some feedback guys. Just a rough mix, the vocal doubles are a little rough in some spots, but just give me your general impressions so far.

Drums: SSD w/ live overheads and hi hat
Bass: Direct into Radial J48 and modeled w/ Ampeg SVX
Guitar: Marshall JCM900 quad tracked with 57, 609, 421, and Heil PR30
Vox: Heil PR30

Recorded with a MOTU 828mkii and Digimax FS into Logic 9.

http://www.btkphoto.com/music/sotc_rough.mp3

The guitars sound very thin and hollow/boomy and don't really sit well with the drums..Its hard to clearly make out what they are doing.
Also IMO they are a bit to static/fizzy.

I would first work that out if it was me :).

The guitars sound very thin and hollow/boomy and don't really sit well with the drums..Its hard to clearly make out what they are doing.
Also IMO they are a bit to static/fizzy.

I would first work that out if it was me :).

Ok. Any tips on what frequencies I should boost or cut?

edit: updated mix, same link

Start over the mix from scratch. Everything now sounds distand.

Start with the drums, specially the snare. Add more mid/high to the snare.
Then adjust the othertoms/cymbals so they match the directness of the snare.

Do the ssame with the guitars. Add mids. Make the guitarsound as direct as possible.

Remember that a mix is a produkt of all kinds of small mixes (instruments).

I think the mix sounds OK for a beginners mix...But the IMO the toms are WAY too overbearing and boomy. You barely hear the attack but the decay is ALL over the place and completely distracting.

I'd lower the cymbals/OH's, too myself and maybe the bass guitar a tad.

But those, toms...Man, too boomy. Sounds like you compressed the shit out of them and then cranked the low end on the EQ.

I think the mix sounds OK for a beginners mix...But the IMO the toms are WAY too overbearing and boomy. You barely hear the attack but the decay is ALL over the place and completely distracting.

I'd lower the cymbals/OH's, too myself and maybe the bass guitar a tad.

But those, toms...Man, too boomy. Sounds like you compressed the shit out of them and then cranked the low end on the EQ.

Compressed, yes... but other than that they are just Slate's Fat Toms. I will work on them with some EQ. Would you suggest I gate them too to control the decay?

I agree the overheads are too loud. They kinda wash out the mix. Will update and post a new mix. Thanks for your feedback.

Edit: I listened to the drum bus by itself and it is WAY overcompressed. Fixed that.