Give me some critique--metal mix

arv_foh

Brian K
Oct 3, 2006
Columbus, OH
Production info:
This was done with my basement studio gear, not at the studio I started working at

Drums: SSD, Slate kick is mixed with Lasse's Kick 3, overheads were Heil PR30
Bass: DI out of head and 421
Guitars: 421, 57, and Heil PR30 thru Peavey Valve King 100
No vox yet

I did a lot of takes but these guys were just all around sloppy. It's not horrible but try to concentrate on the mix and overlook the loose playing

http://www.btkphoto.com/music/punchyou_mix6.mp3

Thanks guys, any tips are welcomed!

I would say; Turn the over heads/cymbals waaaaayyyy up they are barely audible especially in comparison with the hi-hat. I think once that happens it'll sound a good bit better, also the left guitar is pretty quiet and maybe add more high end to that guitar to make it slightly different to the right guitar. Maybe a bit of drive to the bass??? to make it sit with guitars a bit better. Just some ideas :)

I was thinking of adding another track of bass that was overdriven but I just can't find an overdrive plugin that doesn't sound like ass. I always seem to mix in the overheads too low, one of my problems, and I'll add some sizzle to the guitar and see what happens. It's weird because the guitars are hitting the same on the meters, but you are right, the left guitar is definitely quieter. Thanks for your comments!