critique my mix pl0x (best work yet?, 6505 content)

arv_foh

Brian K
Oct 3, 2006
Columbus, OH
http://www.btkphoto.com/music/btm_song2_mix3.mp3

Would love to know what you guys think before I send to the band.

Slate toms, Icon kick, snare was a mix of a sample someone on the forum provided (I think it was greyskull? the folder was called WT EP) and neversnare. Guitars were 6505 mic'd with 57, 421, and Heil PR30 into Golden Age Pre73 preamps. Vox were Heil PR30 into Apogee Duet pre's.

I never get much response on here but I'm pretty proud of this so far so let me know what you think could be better.

*link updated w/ 3rd mix*

Not a fan of toms, too resonnant for my taste, and they seem to be pretty loud (especially the high toms, there's one that ringing in the middle of the mix each time it has been hit...) and this drum would have gained to be tightened up a bit...

Pretty good guitar tone, but a little out of tone, whatever, out of your control maybe?

Vocals sit pretty good in the mix. Would have brightened up a little the highs/high-mid area to open a little the mix, as it seems to sit in a pretty mid/bassy range, would gain to open up a little bit... I don't know, it's like the guitars don't get out except the rumble and the chug-chug.

I always have problems with the Slate toms ringing like fucking crazy. Even when I gate them and turn sustain all the way down on the transient designer. I'm uploading a new mix now with toms that are even more tightly gated and I added a little bit of top end to the mix as suggested. We tuned before every take, couldn't get it better than what it is... Drop A FTL

*link updated with new mix

Geib vocal chain/fx settings pl0x?! Screenshots ftw! :worship:

Heil PR30 -> Apogee Duet

Chain was Rvox -> Doubler2 (stereo) -> SSLEQ -> Ozone3 (set as a limiter just to tame the really hard peaks)

I sent all the vocals to a bus with the Acousticas M7 "Vocal Plate C" impulse. That's it mang. Those impulses are free to download.

Sounds like the snare is getting buried, maybe tuned a little lower or something. Feels like it's lacking that beef- and I feel like the bass tone can use some work to stand out more- I think that would help fill it out a lot.

I don't have slate samples but have you tried printing the hits and using a transient designer and then using multiple instances of whatever trigger software you have to layer different toms samples? Or just layer samples after you print? They sound a little overdriven and maybe a tad too bright and do need to come down.

The kick when it was played by itself sounds odd too. TOCK TOCK TOCK and some sort of breathing feel... But like in the rest of the mix it blends in well. I say use multiple kick samples too... Not to sure what that is

Also (I've been repeating the song now on my sixth/seventh time) but ever since I got into slipping I can't do without it... Some of those kicks seem off and I think I even heard a mistrigger in there

Guitar tone is on money though

In Regards to the slate toms ringing problem

i use the waves ssl channel strip plug-in and the gate works a treat on there to stop that excess ringing :)

It's a bit to loud and fatiguing, compression/limiting is pulling out some strange reverb from the kick drum sample.

*edit, maybe a tad of deeser on toms ?

Toms are too loud and ring too long as has already been stated.. How have you panned the toms they feel fairly mono and dont cut across the stereo field... I liked the vocals... Just work the mix a little...

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I always got the comment that "the toms aren't loud enough" in all my other mixes so I guess I overcompensated for that this time.

As far as the timing issues, yes, indeed, but I'm not getting paid nearly enough to edit this into a perfect performance so if the band is happy with it I'm happy with it. Please concentrate on the production if that's possible and not the performance :worship:

The toms are panned about 20/80 80/20 but he really doesn't go across them enough to get a good stereo image

StabbinCabin, you're right on some of the kicks mistriggering, I'm gonna fix that now too and upload a new mix

*new mix link is up top*

I'm pretty sure I fixed all the kick mistriggers and I cleaned up some of the sections where he fell a little bit off the click. I turned down the toms (are they still too loud/ringy? I gated pretty extreme and added some more EQ), and turned down my mastering chain so the mix is now averaging about -10 dB RMS. If you guys would be so kind as to listen again, I would be much obliged. This forum rocks.