I hate impulses (aka. my best mix ever)

i think ultimately theres a nice middle ground you could come to ermz
you could cater for the masses a tad more. a hint more midbass would definately help the mix translate much better to more systems, and i'm sure that's a desirable thing, amirite? and you can maintain that ULTRADEEP epic fucking subbass youve got going on.
but like you said, plec will have the ability to do what he sees fit with it, but i think you could definately get away with a tad more midbass for sure. it'll please both parties; us folks without teh subs get a bit more tangible thickness and meat, those guys with the subs get involuntary bowel movements from the sheer awesome of all that subbass without either party really being affected by the other, win win.

And my quoting of Gareth and Soultrash was as much to reassure myself that my listening setup isn't totally skewed as it was trying to prove my point! (maybe even more reassuring myself :loco: ). But I'm sorry for any offense given, and in the future I'll try to be aware of the things you've mentioned! :)

dont be lookin at me for no accuracy nigguh
you dont want to even hear my speaks, god no
i have to play a massive game HEY LETS MAKE UP FOR THE MONOLITHIC FLAWS IN MY MONITORING SOLUTION YAAAAAY!!! by comparing my mixes to shit like andys.
i notice that even andy's mixes sound a tad tinny on my speakers, and that the whole 100hz region seems a tad uncontrolled on these speakers, so i aim to replicate the negative aspects completely, knowing that it'll probably translate nicely to other shit then.

i got a chance to play that bow down mix on omi's speakers too. that 60hz kick thump nearly killed me, jesus christ.
definately need me a sub.

@lolzgreg: PM'd!

@Metaltastic: I'm quite happy to drop it, dude. I didn't particularly want to initiate a negative discussion here in this thread. There are however some things going on here that are alienating some of the more seasoned members of the board, but that's another issue entirely. I tend to stay out of your tone threads because we reached a consensus a while back that what we are after tonally are completely different things. There's not much to be gained if what constitutes a great tone to me sounds over-processed or whatever else to you, and on the flipside what sounds great to you is too fizzy for me etc.

@Dodo: I think you're right, and that's why I'm happy to leave it to Plec to do the rest. What I originally liked about the bass tone was the large hole it had in the midbass. It sounded amazingly clear and took on a new level of 'scooped' here, so I thought it was cool to roll with. But it's a mastering call at this stage and I'm happy to roll with whatever the guy with the seasoned ears and treated mastering room has to say :)

@Metaltastic: I'm quite happy to drop it, dude. I didn't particularly want to initiate a negative discussion here in this thread. There are however some things going on here that are alienating some of the more seasoned members of the board, but that's another issue entirely. I tend to stay out of your tone threads because we reached a consensus a while back that what we are after tonally are completely different things. There's not much to be gained if what constitutes a great tone to me sounds over-processed or whatever else to you, and on the flipside what sounds great to you is too fizzy for me etc.

Well clearly you're siding with those "seasoned members", so I guess that explains this unexpected hostility ("There is a LOT I can say, mate, about an assortment of things, the least of which being 'thanks'") - FWIW, as I said, I thought we at some point were at least a bit chummy, and I'm willing to listen if there's anything you wanna say in a PM, as simply "dropping it" after you've ambiguously revealed what I perceive as a pretty big issue you have with me hardly seems like much of a resolution! But I leave it to you to decide.

Wow, I think it would have been a lot better if this whole dialog were carried out via private messages ;)

...though obviously this doesn't icrease the number of posts you have :saint:

Just joking about the post thing, but in all seriousness I don't think this argument is appropriate. Some people prefer one sound and others a different sound. Some people require all kinds of opinions and criticism, others are interested in particular observations by people with a particular experience and/or setup. No one is obliged to respond to everything that's been said. No one's forbidden to post, either, but there's a point at which people start thinking you're desperate for attention.

Well the reason I kept it public is cuz I wanted to make it clear that I still don't know what this "last straw" I did to push James out is, and I've never given a crap about my post count, it is what it is. And you're welcome to think I'm desperate for attention - and I'm welcome to think you have 3 arms and live in Zimbabwe, which is about as accurate ;)

This bickering nonsense is fucking ridiculous. Most definitely should have been discussed via PM. No offense to Ermz or Marcus.

It doesn't matter if you know what the 'last straw' was or not or whether you were even involved. At the end of the day, no one truly gives a shit.

I remember the golden days when we didn't have any sub-forums. Ah, a much simpler time.

TO SUFFICE;

i <3 you guise!

This bickering nonsense is fucking ridiculous. Most definitely should have been discussed via PM. No offense to Ermz or Marcus.

It doesn't matter if you know what the 'last straw' was or not or whether you were even involved. At the end of the day, no one truly gives a shit.

I remember the golden days when we didn't have any sub-forums. Ah, a much simpler time.

TO SUFFICE;

i <3 you guise!

Thank God one useful member of this forum returned!

Yeh, agreed that the bickering was completely out of place. Apologies for that, I simply wanted a way to close up that line of conversation.

@kev: The snare and toms were SD2.0 with the stock sample pack. Snare was the Nir Z blended about 50% with the original and the toms were I think basically 100% replacements (his tom hoops or something were messed up so they couldn't hold tune worth a shite). Outside of that it was basically just one channel of SSL E-channel per drum to get the crux of the mix sculpting done. There is a lot of room tone coming from the SD2.0 room mics, and they actually create a majority of what you'd perceive as reverb in this mix. There's VERY little synthetic verb going on currently.

Stuff the consumers, I'll enjoy blasting this in my car. Subs going to go crazy! :D

This is still one of my favourite of your mixes Ermz, and I can certainly see where you would choose to leave afew options for Plec to take care of. His input seems to do alot to bring your mixes that extra few % towards what I imagine you would want them to be to start off with.

cheap as fack desktop speakers, once again, sounding glorious. (in my office, that is.) the bass may be lacking lowmids, but pay closer attention!! the clicky attack still slices through and has glorious sex with the guitar mids. that clicky attack that (like ermz said) really let's the bass players playing style shine through. going back to, again, my point that when he (the bands bass player) hears it he will likely do backflips with delight.

I've listened through earphones and my laptop, not my monitors, but fuck me, I can definitely hear that attack from the bass loud and clear...
I like, iz nice!

Great job dude, I gotta grab an EP as soon as it comes out, they seem to be doing well!

@Dan: Yeah I always appreciate the input of those who have more experience and know-how. Plec is one of the few mastering folk I've worked with that has actually come in with the right perspective and improved the material, so I trust his judgment. I sort of have to with how limiting this room is.

@darthjujuu: I really hope so! I might actually get some more midbass in there when the time comes, but I'm finding it hard to willingly get more low-mid in there because I think the lack of low-mid and the general spread of the spectrum is what gives the mix that bit of uniqueness. Plus, I never had a love affair with that part of the spectrum!

@Chris: Yeah it should be a cool CD when it's done. When I hear it I really think of a Killswitch Engage and Black Dahlia inspiration. It's kinda why i wanted to do a Bergstrandish spin on the mix, because I've never quite heard it done on music like this. Might give the guys a better chance to get out there with a more unique sound than the legions of others all trying to be the next Killswitch successors, y'know.

Honestly I just think the original one was better, I liked having the guitars that seem more forward in the older one.