I hate impulses (aka. my best mix ever)

I don't have the session on hand at the moment to document everything (different OS installation), but from memory I basically got the bassist's BC Rich bass and ran it directly into the Millennia, Solid State path. I EQ'd out some low-mid and added some high end with a shelf starting at like 5kHz on the EQ section, and then I used the opto compressor to shave off a few dB on the way down. This was essentially the basis of the sound. So much of the bass tone relies on a good playing approach (this guy plucked hard), good bass (this one was at least decent) and good tracking equipment. The Millennia left all the fidelity of the DI intact. There was lots of sexy fret noise to work with.

In the DAW I split the signal 2 ways, as usual. Low one was low-passed at like 300 to 500 or something. High one would've been highpassed somewhere from 500 to 700hz.

On the high track: I used Audio Damage Kombinat under saturation mode to add the grit, no idea how much I used since their GUI read-out is a bit weird. Just whatever sounded right. After that I slammed it with an L2 and used EQ to tame some problem frequencies.

On the low track: I basically did nothing from memory, apart from the low-pass. It just bussed straight to my Bass group.

On the bass group: I first ran Ampeg SVX. No idea what setting, just whatever sounded best. Lots of cutting on the virtual amp EQ all the way throughout the mids. SVX basically made the tone sound beefier and less flat, more amp-like and less DI-like. After that I slammed it with an L2 again. Some EQ, including a lowpass at around 3khz and a highpass at 45hz. After that I ran it through Stillwell's Rocket, sort of in parallel mode, slamming out the very last of the dynamics. After that I realized I couldn't hear low-end worth a shit in this room with the opals so I ran Curve EQ and matched spectrums to the Come Clarity bass. I only used a slight bit of adjustment there, so it didn't change the tone an awful lot, just enough to make things sound a bit more right.

That's about all I can recall, because there's quite a bit of processing going on, as there usually is with my stuff. So much of it is specific to this bass tone that it wouldn't matter if I told you how much GR there is, or how much cut and boost. I could use this exact same chain on the same guitar, same preamp chain, but played by a different bassist and it'd be freakin useless.

Definately agree on the exact settings comment. Good to see where you did the filtering though. Not having tried it myself yet I wouldn't have thought it would sound so good in the mix with the filtering so close on the two tracks..

Ermz, i fucking love this song, and this mix!

i've still got the track you put up when asking around for re-amps, and listen to it.. i said it then, and i'm saying it now.. the guitar you have there is *well* good!

i'm really keen to hear this song entirely done!

thanks,

Hmm, gotta be honest dude, listening to this now and expecting awesome bass, but I feel like all I can hear is the grind (which is pretty cool, though a little nasally), and the rest sounds like it was pretty brutally HP'ed. I'm thinking perhaps the added low-end of the Opals might make you feel like there's more there than there actually is (or rather, maybe the majority of it is in the sub-lows, like beneath 70 Hz, where my Tannoys drop off). And lest you suggest it's my monitors, bear in mind these are also my computers speakers on which I listen to music maybe 3-4 hours/day, so I know them very well and have heard plenty of full-bass mixes. ;) (and on that note, the kick feels like mostly attack too, overall just kind of a thin mix IMO :erk: ) Anyway, just my opinion!

As for the rest, I totally agree about the guitars fitting but not really doing anything beyond that, but that's cool, and impulses are definitely a bit of a handicap - however, I've definitely heard tones that fit in and also sound awesome using impulses, so I can't say I'm as opposed to the idea as you are! Not a fan of the vox, but that's more just my feeling on the singer (seems deathcore-like), the production is good (though they're perhaps a bit loud). I wouldn't mind the cymbals being a bit lower in the mix, I never liked them this loud, though they sound good (but a bit fatiguing, especially that crash panned right that comes in every now and again - are these mic'ed up, or programmed?) Also, the snare is cool, but something about the snap feels a bit weird to me, it might be a reverb artifact. Kick sound isn't my favorite, but I mention this all the time, so I know we just have different tastes. Ok, I guess that does it, overall good job!

Ermz, I'm really not feeling much in the way of subs D:
if youre going for that epic Clayman style subbyness, then that sort of shit should make my speakers start flubbing out, and this sounds even thinner than the origin album im listening to right now, which sounds fairly thin to me.

edit: great fucking mix though, lest there be any doubt, its still sick :D

as mentioned before the guitars could be a little more in the foreground.
the bassdrum sounds sweet but has no balls,
bass, it's there and not...i miss a little bit more low end,
on the other hand this makes it sound really cleaned up and transparent.

cheers
S.

Phew, I was afraid I was the only one that felt this way, I hate when that happens! :D

ermz > me :erk:

i disagree with these bass nay-sayers, i'm in my office with little desktop speakers and a tiny sub and it's VERY apparent to me. in a perfect sorta creamy envy-inducing way. what's the bass player of this band think? i bet he popped a woody a foot long when he heard this.

@darthjuju: Thanks man. It was done mostly with the intent to excite fuller-range systems. I realized after I got full-range monitors how much more fun and cleaner mixes sound with the low-end pushed down there, rather than the midbass to accommodate most consumer end systems. I'm not sure what the bassist thinks actually! I haven't spoken to him, only the vocalist and drummer. The band keep hassling me for the full mix, but I'm caught up in tracking 2 different full-lengths so it's a nightmare down here, haha.

@lolzgreg: Thanks a heap. I'm downloading it now.

@Splatt: Cheers! It'll change a little from what it is now. Higher guitars, less prominent vox, perhaps some actual kick-punch.

There's no point mate, our discussions are circular. You're free to state your criticisms, but there's not much I can say to change the fact that the bass guitar is strongest at 40 and 50hz, but your Tannoys seem to roll off strongly below 70. This is intentional, as the mix is purposefully done for full-range systems. You also said that the guitars do the job in the mix but sound flat, which is basically just reaffirming what I and everyone else have already acknowledged. No way past that either. So on the whole really, there's not much constructive to be said.

Oh, but I beg to differ, something constructive has already been said: namely, that you purposefully mixed it for full-range systems, because this never even occurred to me (call me crazy, but I always thought the goal of a mix was to make it sound good on as many systems as possible ;) And I would bet a lot that the majority are not full range). And what about the snare snappiness that I hear? I hardly think I say that every time, so it's not like it's necessarily just down to taste difference ;)

Oh, and maybe a "thanks for listening" :)

Regarding the bass: I think so much can be gleaned from the first post where I mentioned it was pushed 'very low' into the subs. Since listening to the mix on a fuller range system Dodo came back and mentioned that he 'took back' what he said about it being thin. So once again, it is only thin if you have a limited range system. This was intentionally done because I'm a little tired of mixing done for the lowest common denominator. Call it an 'experiment' if you will'. It brings those who like to talk a lot, but don't have the basis for doing it right out of the woodwork. Happens a lot amongst fans, so I was curious to see how many would criticize it as being 'thin' at home, then say 'holy dogfuck' when hearing it through PAs at the gigs. It's Plec's call at the end though, if he wants more midbass in there he will have the stems to do it with.

Saying the snare snap is 'weird' is hardly the basis for something I can glean anything useful from. The transient content of the material is something subject to change when it comes to final mastering, so it doesn't matter. The one useful comment I gained about the snare was from Unicorn, who mentioned it could be more in one's face (subdued transient), which I agree. The rough mastering chain is chopping the transient a bit, which makes it sound a bit more distant than it should.

I think I can be excused for omitting a 'thanks for listening' in light of talking to the the final straw that pushed James off the forum. There is a LOT I can say, mate, about an assortment of things, the least of which being 'thanks', but I'd rather not, which is why I avoided replying altogether. To think you're entitled a 'thank you' for taking the opportunity to criticize something, which seems to be somewhat of a natural pastime for you seems a little silly though :)

Regarding the bass: I think so much can be gleaned from the first post where I mentioned it was pushed 'very low' into the subs. Since listening to the mix on a fuller range system Dodo came back and mentioned that he 'took back' what he said about it being thin. So once again, it is only thin if you have a limited range system. This was intentionally done because I'm a little tired of mixing done for the lowest common denominator. Call it an 'experiment' if you will'. It brings those who like to talk a lot, but don't have the basis for doing it right out of the woodwork. Happens a lot amongst fans, so I was curious to see how many would criticize it as being 'thin' at home, then say 'holy dogfuck' when hearing it through PAs at the gigs. It's Plec's call at the end though, if he wants more midbass in there he will have the stems to do it with.

Saying the snare snap is 'weird' is hardly the basis for something I can glean anything useful from. The transient content of the material is something subject to change when it comes to final mastering, so it doesn't matter. The one useful comment I gained about the snare was from Unicorn, who mentioned it could be more in one's face (subdued transient), which I agree. The rough mastering chain is chopping the transient a bit, which makes it sound a bit more distant than it should.

I think I can be excused for omitting a 'thanks for listening' in light of talking to the the final straw that pushed James off the forum. There is a LOT I can say, mate, about an assortment of things, the least of which being 'thanks', but I'd rather not, which is why I avoided replying altogether. To think you're entitled a 'thank you' for taking the opportunity to criticize something, which seems to be somewhat of a natural pastime for you seems a little silly though :)

Whoa whoa whoa, dude - first off, I'm still baffled as to what I did that was the last straw to push James off (seeing as how in the thread in question I brought up one past event and then dropped it immediately after, which was hardly as bad as most of the rest of said thread's contents), but more importantly where did that come from? I thought you and I were at least somewhat chummy, and I honestly didn't make the post with any intent solely to criticize; I'm trying to give feedback that I feel just might be of some use to you, because even though I know our tastes differ, I thought that maybe having a different perspective would help.

I admit when it comes to things like incredible monitor pickiness and hating Cubase/loving Pro Tools I don't quite get it, so I poke fun, and I'm sorry if I went too far - but honestly, most of your post still really blindsided me.

And my quoting of Gareth and Soultrash was as much to reassure myself that my listening setup isn't totally skewed as it was trying to prove my point! (maybe even more reassuring myself :loco: ). But I'm sorry for any offense given, and in the future I'll try to be aware of the things you've mentioned! :)

And most importantly, perhaps you remember this post - or maybe not, though I did PM you about it cuz I wanted to draw your attention to my appreciation :) (to which I received no response nor acknowledgment)