I officially f***ed my hearing for today. Please lend me your ears!

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
I'm getting nowhere with this mix which kills me and my ears right now. This mix is supposed to sound A BIT more natural as my mixes usually do. It's hardcore (very metal...I know :)) so think of Raised Fist, Comeback Kid or something like Fall of Efrafa (If you don't know them... CHECK THEM OUT!) as reference.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=801612&songID=7812978

Mix is my usual setup with a different drumset this time. Guitars are (as always) Big Bottom from Gearbox with Catharsis impulses. Bass is real with a fucking lot of processing. I tried around a lot since I still have a lot of trouble with the low end in my mixes.

Let me know whatever comes to your mind about the mix! Thanks :)

edit: this mix COULD suck ass. I'm really not sure anymore!

explain your signal chain on the bass, please.

it's not bad, guitars are a bit too messy (as in don't understand them well sometimes) but I'm not familiar with the genre so can't say if it's what your going for, as i said it's not bad

bass a bit too clean for my taste, needs more highs and less low-mids IMO

edit: oh and on that part at 2:40 something, I hear no bass on the drum hits and it really bums me out, bass is like super important with those powerfull kick hits to me, if it ain't locking in with the kick it all sounds like crap to me.

explain your signal chain on the bass, please.

it's not bad, guitars are a bit too messy (as in don't understand them well sometimes) but I'm not familiar with the genre so can't say if it's what your going for, as i said it's not bad

bass a bit too clean for my taste, needs more highs and less low-mids IMO

edit: oh and on that part at 2:40 something, I hear no bass on the drum hits and it really bums me out, bass is like super important with those powerfull kick hits to me, if it ain't locking in with the kick it all sounds like crap to me.

no bass there for now, that's why you can't hear it. For the guitars: I quadtracked them but I think I will go for two tracks in the end. maybe that's the reason and it's not suitable for hardcore. first time I'm mixing that genre.