new HARDCORE mix, please give me some feedback!

dankarghh

Nov 26, 2009
Australia
hey guys, i posted a tune by the same band a few weeks ago. this is another song we did but i spent a little more time on mixing this time round. i'm still fairly new to this all. as they are only rough demos, guitars are lepous legoin recorded with a blackjack atx, drums are real and replaced. snare is a mixture of my own sample and slate. vocals were done with a nt1a. i threw on ozone just to increase the volume, i have no idea how to master, the band asked me too.

Let me know how it's sounding on your end. I'm keen to learn and get better.

we will be doing an ep really soon, with real amps! my first time.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3200729/staystrongmix.mp3

edit: everything was tracked in a rush so its a bit sloppy, i mixed on computer speakers as usual, gunna get me some krk g25's real soon though!

Snare is too uniform in my opinion. in the breakdown, the guitars are a little off. work on timing them up a little, mainly on parts that are choppy. get some headphones or external speakers and place them a bit farther apart and you should hear it. That can be fixed in editing no problem though. Not too bad

thanks guys, not digging the snare hey, i'll work on it. drums are super quantized, everythings pretty well dead on. guitar and especially bass were tracked realllly badly. they've been quantized a fair bit to get them sounding okay. i was real tired and slack when we tracked and it was my first project, i'll have to be alot more strict in future. what about the mix as a whole? empty? thin? if so, any hot tips!?

I fucking love it........but then I fucking love hardcore, this tracks great I'm hearing aggy front meets subzero in it a lot your vocalist has a good hint of merret in there sounds mint, to me hardcore's not meant to be super polished its raw, aggressive and real music stick at it this sounds great

I fucking love it........but then I fucking love hardcore, this tracks great I'm hearing aggy front meets subzero in it a lot your vocalist has a good hint of merret in there sounds mint, to me hardcore's not meant to be super polished its raw, aggressive and real music stick at it this sounds great

Sorry but i have to disagree with you.
if a band wants to have that classic "shitty" raw hardcore mix, then they can go out and buy a 57, put it on the ground at their practice and push record.

but they cant expect me to do the same. I take pride in my work and I dont want to have my name on something that sounds half-assed. sorry about kinda going OT

now back on topic, I still think the drums could use a little more quantizing on some fills. the toms and kick and not corresponding to each other correctly and makes it sound really really sloppy. but thats just me and my input.

the mix sounds good, guitars could use a little more work and you could edit it to sound a little tighter, but its really coming along.

Dont be naive, or a typical scene kid. I love hardcore, the music, the lifestyle, etc etc. But im sorry, i agree with Seth on this one bub. Studio work doesn't change who you are, what you stand for, etc etc etc. The purpose of studio time is to have your shit tight and polished. Bury Your Dead was one of the few that did it right by doing what you're supposed to do in a studio, as far as that style of older hardcore goes.

Anyways, ya dank, just tighten the guitars a bit. Volumes are good. I hope to see what kind of progress you get on it. Keep working and itll turn out nice :)

come on guys, tear it apart!

OK!:D

first of all, i like the music!:headbang:

overall sound is very dull, there is no brilliance.
guitars are too loud for my taste, bassdrum is very bassy,
needs more KICK. snare sounds nice, fits the style very good IMHO.

cheers
S.

Scene kid how dare you sir! I'm 31 with a house car job and no fringe! I do not qualify for your horrific remarks ;-) ha ha different strokes for different folks, just trying to give someone a boost didn't expect to get anyone bent out of shape, i love bury your dead i love super tight production but i also love raw energy on certain records, you had me at hello, cro mags age of quarrel etc, each to their own i guess we all have different opinions and ears, still enjoying this track though comin on nicely :) peace.

thanks for the feedback everyone, especially from those with advice! i was just looking for some tips on how to improve the mix, i'm very new to this as i said, just a friends band, but i'm keen to get more into it. i will take your points into consideration and try get a new mix up tonight.

hey guys, i just tweaked the mix a bit taking some pointers into account. i didn't do anymore guitar edits, its only a rough demo and its really not worth it, tracking ep soon (i'll make sure its super tight don't worry). i'm not too sure what to do about the lacking brilliance. i put some more highs in vocals and a touch in guitars and OH's, but otherwise i'm lost. theres nothing on the masterbus at the moment (i'm even more clueless about mastering).

have a listen and let me know guys, i really appreciate the feedback, everyones always so helpful
edit: has the bass disappeared from the mix? im on stereo speakers

I like it, but then again i only just turned 16. That's the sound I'm trying to get. It may not be the best, as these other two guys were saying. But I like it a lot.

And what do you mean by "quantisizing" guitars? I'm getting better at doing it with drums, but have never really heard of a way to do this with metal and stuff.. ?

I like it, but then again i only just turned 16. That's the sound I'm trying to get. It may not be the best, as these other two guys were saying. But I like it a lot.

And what do you mean by "quantisizing" guitars? I'm getting better at doing it with drums, but have never really heard of a way to do this with metal and stuff.. ?

Are you a troll or a bot?

lol_204.jpg

I know what you mean, but there are great produced HC cd´s out which sound fantastic but also have the true vibe in it:

Converge
The hope conspiracy
Comeback kid
have heart
down to nothing
verse
the first Terror cd´s
walls of jericho

and 10000000mio others