2x12 closed back cabs - different sizes + UK Builders (Zilla, Montage)

guitarfishbay

Sep 21, 2012
Hey guys.

Has anyone ever compared different height closed back 2x12s, where the width and depth is the same as a standard 4x12? Specifically a Zilla Fatboy to Super Fatboy. And has anyone ever tried a Montage Pro 2x12 because I can't find much info on them?

I'd like a second 2x12, and it would be nice to have something taller and with slightly different speakers to my Mesa 2x12 to give me options for recording as well as live performance. I'd assume that in situations where I use both cabs it'd sound ok to use both despite the difference in V30s.

I use an Axe FX 2 into a GT1000FX. I do not want another 4x12 at the moment.

The dimensions of the cabs are from shortest to tallest (metric):

- Mesa 2x12: 76.52cm W x 44.45cm H x 36.20cm D

- Zilla Fatboy: 760 x 470 x 360

- Montage Pro: W76cm x H53cm x x D35cm

- Zilla Super Fatboy: 760 x 530 x 360 (not listed on the site, but IIRC same height as the Studio Pro)

http://www.zillacabs.com/2x12_cabs.php

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/montage-212-pro-2-x-12-cab-discounted-speakers-p-1328.html

I have owned a 3 piece back Zilla Super Fatboy with V30s but wasn't too impressed with it, IMO the rear panel wasn't stiff enough for loud palm mutes from a Roadster (it vibrated). But I'd be willing to try a solid back Zilla if people can confirm they're built well enough. I don't see many complaints and I know several of you guys have had Zilla cabs at some point. The cab I had was bought s/h so I have no idea when it was made and if he's changed his methods since, but besides the centre piece of the 3 piece back the cab seemed good.

I'm just not sure if I should keep it fairly similar in size to the Mesa cab or if I should go oversize and mix an oversize with a smaller cab. I know the easiest thing would be to just buy a second Mesa 2x12 (though not cheap here!) but part of me wants an alternate choice as I don't always need to take 2 cabs.

Thanks for any help.

I have a Zilla 212 super fatboy with K100s, best cab I've ever played. Obviously its not a 412, but its damn good!

I already have a Mesa 2x12! I know it sounds killer - your clips are great BTW I've checked them out before. I'm looking at alternate options for cost reasons as well as being interested in having a second choice.

My issue with using one Mesa 2x12 is they're too short on the floor to hear easily in a band situation. Fine if you prop them on something but it isn't always possible, but having a second cab makes it possible and gives a modular system.

I drive a small car (Skoda Fabia) so how stuff fits in the car is key. I've measured up - it actually makes more sense to get another 2x12 than a wheeled flight case for the 2x12 I have, with the way it'd all fit in the car.