4/8/16 OHM

covil

johny bigode
Mar 22, 2007
WHEN RECORDING A CAB, DO YOU TRY DIFERENT OHM SETTINGS OR JUST USE 16 OHM SETTING. I REMEMBER SOMEONE TELLING ME THAT 16 OHM JUST GIVES YOU THE BEST AMPLIFICATION QUALITY. HOWEVER, FOR EXAMPLE, WHEN RECORDING A JCM 900/800 IT JUST GIVES YOU EXTRA FIZZY SOUND.

ANYONE HAS SOMETHING TO ADD???

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE OHM SETTING??
I KNOW IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT FOR OTHER AMPS; BUT WHAT IS YOUR AMP OHM SETTING AND WHY???

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED USING A DIFERENT OHM SELECTION???
MOST AMPS LET'S YOU SWITCH BETWEEN 4; 8; OR 16ohm.
AND YOUR AMP SOUNDS DIFFERENT DEPENDING ON THE SETTING YOU USE!!

PLEASE DON´T MAKE ME THINK YOUR MAKING FUN OF ME. If i post like this, will it make you happier???

can i run the two outputs of a jcm900 into the two inputs of a 1960cab?? All of them switched to 8 ohm.
out1---inp1
out2---inp2
something like this???

KINDA OT BUT I NEVER MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WHO WRITE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE THERE IS ALWAYS A SLIGHT POSSIBILITY THAT THEY WRITE THAT WAY BECAUSE THEIR VISION IS NOT AS PERFECT AS MINE - MAYBE THEY SIMPLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO CHECK IF THEY WROTE WITHOUT ANY TYPOS OR SOMETHING ?

KINDA OT BUT I NEVER MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WHO WRITE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE THERE IS ALWAYS A SLIGHT POSSIBILITY THAT THEY WRITE THAT WAY BECAUSE THEIR VISION IS NOT AS PERFECT AS MINE - MAYBE THEY SIMPLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO CHECK IF THEY WROTE WITHOUT ANY TYPOS OR SOMETHING ?

Let's forget all this crap and return to the thread. Please!!!
the information i need is much more important than this.

Let's forget all this crap and return to the thread. Please!!!
the information i need is much more important than this.

Dont take it personally he's only playing. You kids wanna make up?

Traditionally you would normally have the impedance of the head set to the match the impedance of the cab. If the cabs impedance is lower than the heads then it will draw more power (which the cab might not take) and make the head get warmer as well. The opposite is also true. The Impedance selector is there to accomodate different cab options.

From my car stereo days I learned that the lower the ohms of the sub the deeper and harder it hit. You could have the same two sub-woofers, one wired for 2ohm, one wired for 4ohm, the 2ohm one is definitely hitting harder and reaching lower tones with the same amp.

I would think the same principals apply to a guitar speaker in a cabinet. I think since you can use so many different ohm settings, like on my JSX for example I can switch between 8 and 16 (and I think even 4 if I remember correctly), and then my cab has 8 and 16, the best thing to do is to try them out and see which one suits the amp and the playing that you are doing more.

Using a lower ohm setup will be a thicker sounding, bassier type of sound. The higher the ohms, the "thinner" it will sound but be really clear. I would expect to use an 8 ohm setting for something like a Recto, but then a 16 would work or an 8 would work for a 5150. I know from my days at the studio I had everything hooked up for 8ohm in our cab room and our rack of heads. Some heads we messed with using 16ohm and they were coming out better for aggressive playing, some weren't.

Try it out and see...that's a common line around here for stuff along those lines.

~e.a