4 or 5 string for first bass

Doctor Gay

Heel
Apr 29, 2011
Bel Air, MD
I was thinking of making the switch to bass. Primarilary because I suck at tech metal on guitar. Is the transition less stressful?

I was planning on picking up a $150 squier. Should I savces more?

I made the same switch about a year and a half ago. I bought a 5 string ESP LTD. I think I paid something like 400$ for it, and I was really happy with the quality. However, I just got an Epiphone Thunderbird and IMO it's better. I don't think you'll have a problem at all transitioning to bass, whether its 4 or 5 strings. 4 string basses have a bit more space between the strings.

5 string bass is great for playing 4 string stuff, but a 4 string bass won't allow you to play 5 string stuff ;)

I'd save a bit more and go for the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz 5 string if you can. Will last you a VERY long time. Whereas a $150 cheapo you'll want to upgrade not long after you've bought it I'd imagine.

I have a 5 string and now wish I had got a 6 string instead.

4 strings are much more comfortable for slap bass though, because the strings are spaced further apart.

Apart from the space thing, I like what I'm hearing, seems like I'll hold out til I can get a 5-string. Worst case scenario, I should be able to remove a string.

@josh I don't even use 6 strings on guitar, lol, but thanks for your insight!