Slash Freeman

Iron Maiden obsessive
Hi!

do you remember when you started the thread about guitar stuff? I said i'd get you the tab for Saber Dance? Do you still want it, 'cos i've had to start typing it out as i can't find it on the net and my scanner won't seem to work.

And have you ever heard it before? if not i can try and make an mp3 of it if you want, just the guitar part for ya. :)

Originally posted by Slash Freeman
Hi!

do you remember when you started the thread about guitar stuff? I said i'd get you the tab for Saber Dance? Do you still want it, 'cos i've had to start typing it out as i can't find it on the net and my scanner won't seem to work.

And have you ever heard it before? if not i can try and make an mp3 of it if you want, just the guitar part for ya. :)

Hey cheers mate always nice to play some new songs on the G! :D
The mp3 would also be nice, if nothing I can dl it from winmx or smthg

Will you send the tab to my mail or?

Thanks!

I'll send the tab and mp3 by mail (just let me learn how to encode it as an mp3). like i said, though, it's gonna be a few weeks at least before i can finish the tab, and i may have to record the song myself which means you'll get a few mistakes but hopefully you can get the right idea. I'm including the timing in the tab so you may have to go through it a few times really slowly getting the timing right. it's not an easy song to play, but DAMN it's fun! :)

so lets talk about guitars now. how long have you been playing? I've been playing for 3 years and 2 months minus a day.

OK no problem when you are finished pop it over to wlradio@anytimenow.com and watch me blaze away :tickled:

Well I've been playing for 6 or 7 years. I've started out on bass then gave guitar a try when my band needed a guitarist. I'm hooked on it ever since. The instrument's options are bloody vast!

I'm thinking of buying a seven stringed guitar soon, as well as a marshall amp (thought about buying a Mesa Boogie monster, but seems that I'm not able to get it here in my country)

What's your preferred style of playing?

Prefered style of playing? Heavy metal, mostly 80's style with the screaming guitar solos (not so much screaming yet, but i'm getting there) and the galloping backing riffs (ie Iron Maiden). i also really like the kind of style that Blind Guardian plays and the modern Judas Priest but not so much to listen to only to play ('cos of the energy). I also really like Rock n' Roll stuff like Status Quo and Chuck Berry. So much fun to play! :)

On an acoustic i quite like classical and flamenco (there's a Bach violin piece i got from Total Guitar which is really nice. It wanders a bit but it sounds really good if you get the timing right. and then there was the music for the Star Wars theme......cool! :) ). the cross-picky stuff is really nice, when you're playing two tunes at the same time (sounds nicer finger style).

What about you?

Oh yeah! and if i could have any guitar i wanted it would be a customised Jackson. Twin neck, top one with standard 6 strings, 24 fret, Floyd Rose tremolo, neck and bridge hums (probably Seymor Duncan, but don't have enough experience with pick-ups to say) and an hot rail as the middle pickup. The lower neck would be a 7 or 8 string (7 string would have one lower string, 8 string would have one lower and one higher), 24 frets, fixed bridge, neck and bridge hums (no middle pick up) and twin tonal controls to one volume control on both. Plus it would be purple ('cos purple rocks! ;) ). amp wise i'd really like a JCM 900 head, like what Slash uses/(d) and a JCM 2000 head, plus maybe a Laney head 'cos Laney are really good too (i nearly bought a Laney amp last year, but decided that the Marshall was just as good and cheaper (got a G80R-CD. Fantastic little thing. Powerful enough that if i trun the master volume above about an 8th it's total it HURTS to play it is that loud (at least with the settings i normally have the amp at, which is slightly louder o/d channel than clean channel). Mesa Boogies amps seem really really good, but they're too expensive for my tastes (not that the customised Jackson would cost any less than £5000! but then it's a dream for when i'm a rockstar. ;) )

I really try and implement just about everything into my music as long as it's got something going for it.
Ever hear of Cavatina? That tune from The Deer Hunter? Well, it's a killer if played right and a finger twister as well :D try dl-ing it from winmx or smthg, I found an acoustic version of it, just like in the movie, cos the guitar is easily understood (as opposed to the Shadows' one)

I also like to back myself up with a wall of distortion. Distortion is a kind of enough said effect, pure and raging, right?

ever seen a warr guitar with 12 strings? I wonder how those people manage to play these things???

oh yeah, distortion rocks. i'm still searching for that early 80's sound though, like Dave Murray has. i've got a setting on my 707 effects box called Useful. It's actually a fantastic sound and i stumbled on it completely by accident. a little messing around with delay here and there but it truely it excellent. i use it for the more modern Maiden stuff, and most other things like Crazy Train (if only i could get that right. it would be so cool. that solo.....).

but i also like a gentle hint of o/d at times. Saber Dance was originally played like that, but i think a hefty chunk of distortion is good. a twangy sound is nice, but to be honest i don't think anything can beat Slash's JCM 900 sound. On Sweet Child O' Mine that was brilliant.....

That Sweet Child Of Mine riff is one of the most famous riffs, probably along the lines of smoke on the water or smthg

When will you send me that tune?

I'll send it as soon as i can, which to be honest may be a while. I'm kinda snowed-under with exam revision then project and experiment write-ups to do within the next two weeks. maybe if i get a chance i can finish the Tab soon,but getting the song recorded won't be easily done. I'll keep you posted. :)