48/2(9+3) = ???

48/2(9+3) = ?

Votes: 73 49.7%

Votes: 74 50.3%

• Total voters
I know that we foil but in this case we dont have and extra parenthesis to tell us that 2 is "latched" to 12
48/2(9+3)

How can we assume that this problem is
48/(2(9+3)) ????

Thats what I dont get about your explanation man, Ive had many of these types of problems and I have always worked through them using
the order of operations method and managed to get it right. To be fair ive taken a couple of math classes so far up to Calculus II.

Ok what if we split it up.

2x and 2*x are the exact same thing, right? Or are even those 'paired'? I need a source on this, because it's just not right.

Lets make it 48/2(x), where x=9+3. Same equation.

= 48 / 2 (x)
= 48 ÷ 2 * x
= 24 * x
= 24 * (9+3)
= 288.

Unless you can provide some proof that a / sign means that absolutely everything in the entire equation following that sign is now a denominator, or that 2x != 2*x, or at least 2*x is not 'as important' as 2x, then I don't know what to say.

Like I said, it sounds retarded isolated but it changes how the equations react.

I know that 2 is 'latched' to (9+3) because it's written as 2(9+3) and not 2*(9+3).

In your example, you need to solve for X first, because it's 2 quantities of x, not just 2 times x. The isolated product is the same, but you need to do it first to simplify the equation.

Deryk, I know FOIL is for two separate binomials... don't really give a fuck in this case, it's the same logic.

mortum, we can't assume the problem is written as anything really, because it wasn't written - it was typed. That's why we're running into issues. If this person wrote it out in standard notation, it'd be obvious as to which term was a denominator and which was supposed to be dealt with after the division. In this case, since it's written as 2(9+3), as per my explanations above, we have to assume that it's (48)/(2(9+3)).

In the math classes you'd have taken, the professor (hopefully) wouldn't be dumb enough to be as ambiguous as the author of this equation.

mortum, we can't assume the problem is written as anything really, because it wasn't written - it was typed. That's why we're running into issues. If this person wrote it out in standard notation, it'd be obvious as to which term was a denominator and which was supposed to be dealt with after the division. In this case, since it's written as 2(9+3), as per my explanations above, we have to assume that it's (48)/(2(9+3)).

In the math classes you'd have taken, the professor (hopefully) wouldn't be dumb enough to be as ambiguous as the author of this equation.

Ah i see your point now, this is something that is hard to catch on though. :p

288 imho, but the equation is unclear as fuck.

the way i see it, 48/(2(9+3)) = 2, and 48/2(9+3) = 288. if there's no parenthesis, there is none. i just don't understand why many of you guys interpret it that way.

and 2(9+3) is the EXACT same thing as 2*(9+3). AB = A*B.

also, major +1 to this one:
"In the math classes you'd have taken, the professor (hopefully) wouldn't be dumb enough to be as ambiguous as the author of this equation."

This isn't a question of maths hahah, it's a question of how computers have been designed to interpret a string of commands. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a programming language out there somewhere that reads A/B(C+D) as (A/B)*(C+D) and another very similar language that reads it as A/(B(C+D)).

I personally read it as 2, as in my head it makes sense to 'move down a virtual line,' so as to speak, when I see a / sign. It's like when you're writing out an equation on paper and can't be bothered to do a full division with a horizontal line over two lines, so just stick to one line, use a / and take everything after the / to be part of the denominator. That's the convention I've been brought up with, at least.

I'm going to go with 228. Throughout junior high, high school, and college, I was always taught that the parentheses step of PEMDAS applied to what was inside of the parentheses. No teacher or professor I had ever extended it to anything touching them.

Can't we just agree that it's a stupid way to write an equation and move on?

I've done years of maths that here equals to the 5th years of maths uni plus some extras, and even if I have lost most of my knowledge in maths, that's exactly how I was feeling reading this thread, because it's not about maths but just interpretation of something nobody writes like that in maths. I'm sure even my old math teacher who was a killer wouldn't be so sure of himself about the answer.

Because the way it is written is too far from how you actually write it on your own sheet of paper. It's more an IT problem. Of course we havenn't waited computers to write stuff in a single line, but who cares.

On a single string, no one would ever write that out of a context, because he would know that the way it is interpreted depends on the program reading it.

That's why during my electrical engineering grande ecole year, I was used to write this sort of string clearer by a bigger use of parenthesis to be sure my formula would be interpreted the same way whichever is the program reading it, cause no one is following an official rule that it should follow. The example of the different TI models clearly shows that.

@JeffTD : I have never heard of anything saying that 2(9+3) is different from 2*(9+3), maybe it's an IT rule, but in my years of maths, never made a difference.

So for me, there is still an ambiguity, because not writing the "*" would imply 2 and (9+3) shold be calculated before, the same as if I had writen :

48 / BISPACEBIGSPACEBIGSPACE 2*(9+3)

but it's not conventional either. It would just be a convention between me and my mate sitting next to me to make him understand it a natural way.

In the end, I think there is no "real" solution, excepted if someone can find somewhere an official rule saying something about it, but I doubt there is one.

BTW who has maple on his computer ? If there is ONE rule about how a computer "should" read maths, it's Maple (or maybe MatLab). It would be funny if both would read it a different way from each other :lol:

BTW, on Maple, I was taught to put parenthesis everywhere. So that (something)/(somethingelse) would be written by Maple :

something
---------------
somethingelse