4x12 sounds boomy, any ideas?

close micing does not capture the characteristics of the room remember. having a cab directly on a floor does change the bass response. hate to sound like a dick but keessi does have a point. every randall ive played is really scooped, and has a boominess that i cant get rid of. thats why bands like crowbar use these amps. opinions aside, you cannot deny fact. then again apparently aild used them, but it was a different model. def. try another head before investing more

close micing does not capture the characteristics of the room remember. having a cab directly on a floor does change the bass response. hate to sound like a dick but keessi does have a point. every randall ive played is really scooped, and has a boominess that i cant get rid of. thats why bands like crowbar use these amps. opinions aside, you cannot deny fact. then again apparently aild used them, but it was a different model. def. try another head before investing more

Well it's a fact that the Randall's you've played are scooped, but that doesn't make it a fact that all are. Furthermore, the nature of this particular Randall in question is that it's an all-tube, all-analog "modeling" amp of sorts, so even if Randall did have a characteristic sound I doubt the above preamps would have it. Furthermore, when I heard Insomnium using a pair of T2 full stacks live (not necessarily theirs, it was the backline for every band that night), they sounded SUPER middy and kicked ass. I'm no Randall lover (I've never played one), I just wanna get things straight here.

This is why, earlier in the thread, I said that it would be a bad idea for people to start in on the Randall vs. Marshall thing. People have the amps they like and the amps they don't. It's just like the PC vs. Mac issue. As soon as it comes up, the best thing to do is slap that person the wrist for bringing it up, and then drop the subject.

Look... I endorse Madison Amps, but I've played both bad ass and shitty models of everything from Marshall to Randall to Peavey to Engl, etc., etc. I use an iMac for all my "at home" work, but our studios both run on customized PC's. When you are talking Production/Recording, you have to take into account the "Wild Card" theory at all times. A Peavey, or a Marshall, or a Krank, or a Randall that sounded "boomy" or "like shit" to one guy with "such and such" guitar, through "such and such" cabinet, with "this or that" mic, might sound fucking killer through another guy's setup. This shit is all about experimentation and keeping an open mind, always being willing to learn new things. As soon as you become set in your ways, you're fucked.

This is why, earlier in the thread, I said that it would be a bad idea for people to start in on the Randall vs. Marshall thing. People have the amps they like and the amps they don't. It's just like the PC vs. Mac issue. As soon as it comes up, the best thing to do is slap that person the wrist for bringing it up, and then drop the subject.

Look... I endorse Madison Amps, but I've played both bad ass and shitty models of everything from Marshall to Randall to Peavey to Engl, etc., etc. I use an iMac for all my "at home" work, but our studios both run on customized PC's. When you are talking Production/Recording, you have to take into account the "Wild Card" theory at all times. A Peavey, or a Marshall, or a Krank, or a Randall that sounded "boomy" or "like shit" to one guy with "such and such" guitar, through "such and such" cabinet, with "this or that" mic, might sound fucking killer through another guy's setup. This shit is all about experimentation and keeping an open mind, always being willing to learn new things. As soon as you become set in your ways, you're fucked.

no doubt, you guys are totally right. i was a little unclear, the point i was meaning to make was that the possibility that the amp is the factor causing the boominess and should be considered