50 worst things to happen to music.

you are really open-minded, hum?

Jessica Simpson and Chistina Aguilera can't sing? Gwen Stefani isn't bad either..

I knew I'd get some controversy with my reponse. :)

Christina and Gwen aren't too bad, considering the genres they are performing in. But there are so many female lead singers who can't sing worth a crap these days. Just looking at the top 10 Billboard artists. You have:

Nelly Furtado
Dixie Chicks :puke:
Gwen Stefani
Beyonce

Gwen is probably the only one on there that is decently talented. The rest are hacks.

Want some good female singers? Simone and Floor. There are others, but you get the general idea.

No time to read so much crap so I made mine:

Disco, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, Bob Rock, radio-friendly pop, Bon Jovi, Latin pop, Hip-hop, Rap, Grunge, Mallcore, Raggaeton, corpsepaint, digipacks, iPods, boxsets, MTV, Grammys, Sharon Osbourne, anus.com...

...and the death of: John Bonham, Bon Scott, Cozy Powell, Chuck Schuldiner, Cliff Burton and others

NP: Saracen - 'Ready To Fly'

#1, without question, Nirvana.

Zod

You notice how so-called "alternative" and grunge never took off in Europe? Thank God!

I've always wondered what American rock music would have been if bands like Nirvana never would have happened.

My guess is that rock would have progressed to what we now call European power metal.

Thank goodness that REAL music is still alive and fresh, at least in some corners of this world.

Nirvana was huge *everywhere*

ALthough I am not a huge fan of the band, I absolutely love the impact of their music in the rock scene.
Not just them, but the whole Grunge thing...

I will take Grunge over 80's hair metal/hard rock any day of the week.. I will take grunge over most power metal as well.

ALthough I am not a huge fan of the band, I absolutely love the impact of their music in the rock scene.

I will take Grunge over 80's hair metal/hard rock any day of the week.. I will take grunge over most power metal as well.

That last sentence you said doesn't make sense, considering you are indeed a fan of Angra. I would be inclined to believe that Angra is slightly more influenced by 80's "hair" metal/hard rock than Nirvana, Mudhoney, etc.

That last sentence you said doesn't make sense, considering you are indeed a fan of Angra. I would be inclined to believe that Angra is slightly more influenced by 80's "hair" metal/hard rock than Nirvana, Mudhoney, etc.

My nickname is old.. When I registered for this board, back in 02, I was already not so huge on Angra anymore.. But I kept the name because that was the name I used on the Savatage board and there were a few Savatage board members here.

I do love their first 2 albums though :worship:

No fucking way for me. :zombie:

While I really enjoyed, short term, Nirvana and the grunge scene, for me it was an attitude, a one-hit-wonder, while power metal will always be an iconic age; a souce of inspiration and influence that will continue for decades.
Grunge, to me, was an amusing hiccup in the world of rock/metal that had only limited influence in musical progression and actually did more damage by distracting the ADD music powers and media into ignoring truly talented metal artists during that time. I'm glad it died a timely and predictable death.

Ah well, we all have our opinions. :err:

ahaha I won't go defending Grunge like crazy as I am not a huuuuge fan of the style.. It's just that enjoy power metal less..

To me it's been certainly the other way around! I was a huuuuuuuuge power metal fan from when I started listening to music back in 97... I really liked the genre! But it was certainly temporary... nothing really grabs my attention anymore....

With Grunge is different.. I still like bands like Alice in Chains or Pearl jam a LOT till today! Grunge may have died out quickly but it certainly had a more lasting impact on me than power metal.

I'm curious... what do you think their impact on the rock scene was? I would argue they set guitar playing back 20 years. What positives did they bring?

Grunge isn't all bad... it gave us Soundgarden.

While I would take Soundgarden and Alice in Chains over most 80's bands and most Power Metal bands, I'd take the 80's scene over Grunge ina heartbeat.

Zod

I'm curious... what do you think their impact on the rock scene was? I would argue they set guitar playing back 20 years. What positives did they bring?

Grunge isn't all bad... it gave us Soundgarden.

While I would take Soundgarden and Alice in Chains over most 80's bands and most Power Metal bands, I'd take the 80's scene over Grunge ina heartbeat.

Zod

I think Grunge played a major role in making popular rock music more interesting...
I think it's a major improvement that isntead of having poison topping the charts we now have Radiohead. I know radiohead doesn't sound grunge at all, but it's more introspective, darker...
And I think grunge is responsible for opening those doors...

As for setting Guitar playing back 20 years.. I disagree.. Well, it might have, I don't know.. I just don't really care about it enough... I like a lot of new stuff and I don't feel a lack good guitar playing.