5150 Block/sig differences

Faded

New Metal Member
Aug 11, 2007
I'm sure you've had at least 666 about the 5150 by now, but i haven't found a thread about this subject.

Is there any significant difference between the Original block letter and the later Signature version?

since i live in israel and there's no way i'll find here any of them, so my only option is ebay, i want to be sure before i make a deal.
i know that what i'm looking for is the tight-low end-huge hairy balls distortion sound without blasting it with a ton of gain, and i know the 5150 is just perfect for that, i still need to know the difference between the 2 of them.

thanks.

Nope, other than the original stock tubes and the sig or block lettering nada zip.

This is info that I got from JerryP so I can garantee it's accurate info.

Who's Jerry P?

I have a friend with a block letter 5150 and he says they changed something in the circuit. and his tone is badass too.

I've been trying pay attention to the 5150's i see doing live sound, to see weather they're the block letter or not.

I assume it started from assumptions. :p People noticed the logo was different so they assume that it must mean they made other changes to the amp.

One thing I have noticed with 5150s is that they come biased really cold and depending on the particular quad of power tubes some are worse off than others.

This could be why someone may have a block letter that seems to sound a bit better than someone elses signature and vice versa.

I really like the bias mod because it fixes this problem and allows for greater adjustment.

The reason why block letter heads usually sell for more $ is simply because fewer were produced. So they are more collectible I guess.

There isn't really a "right" value to bias it at. But most people like to set it hotter because it opens the amp up a lot and gives it more balls.