5150 & ENGL - Quickie Mix

CJWall

Oct 21, 2005
Southwest Florida, USA
Just got a 5150 and a new guitar, so I'm a bit inspired at the moment!

I picked up an Agile AL-2800 w/the high-output ceramic pickups and it sounds AMAZING. 10x better than my Schecter, I'm amaaazed.

Okay so, here's a short thing I wrote on the spot, haha. There's click bleed in the quiet bit (as always) because I don't like tracking w/headphones.

http://www.box.net/shared/ojin5epj98

2 tracks of ENGL Fireball boosted with Maxon OD820
2 tracks of 5150 boosted w/same said Maxon

all through my Marshall cab w/GT75's and V30s in X-Pattern. I had a single 57 on the GT75 through my Presonus Eureka.

EZ Drummer DFH, mixed in Nuendo and 'Mastered' very quickly in PT via my 003R.

Thoughts? Mix is kind of shit, but I wanted to see what the 5150 and ENGL sounded like layered.

The 5150 has this awesome, savage-mid and the ENGL is definitely more scooped in comparison, but also much 'cleaner'.

Love the riffs man! and i allways love feedback haha
Guitarsound is a bit drier then you useall do, but i think that if you would mix around that it could realy work, but like you mentioned mix isn't ready yet!

Allready siked for the hm2 clips haha

Click track bleed ftl. I track with headphones about 3 metres away from my amp yet the click track is still picked up.

Tone is pretty crushing. I'd love to get a 5150 to add to my Powerball.

I like the tone. Quite a lot of gain on the guitars, but IMO it really fits well with the song and the two amps blend quite nicely together. Maybe a bit too much high freq fizz, but can't say for sure, because I'm listening on headphones (not very good ones...).

I think all Soilwork albums have transistor amps only.

Edit: Hmm, it seems that STD was Powerball + 5150. The guitars sound very transistor-like though, weird fizzle in them.

Seems that Ola is using Krank nowadays:
http://www.soilwork.org/equipment.php

Goddamn there are people who claim nbc is savage (with the addition of a 5150) you claim is all transistor amps.
LOL I have to search the web or send a message to Peter through myspace.

Kickass music as usual dude. I'm still trying to decide whether the addition of the 5150 works for your rhythm tone. Almost too much of that undefined muddy mid-range thing happening there for my liking. Although the 5150 has never really liked GT75s from my experiences.

Very good point Moonie and I think I agree.

I mainly got it for re-amping purposes as I'm tried of every band I mix going through the ENGL, even though it usually does end up sounding good, haha.

Right now I'm messing w/dual-micing the V30 in my cab w/just the 5150 and
getting some pretty neat results. We'll see!

Thanks for all the replies dudes!

Charlie

Nice work as usual. I am looking at getting a 6505 (since the lack of 5150's here) to mix with my Krank. I wanted one after hearing my Rev mixed with LSD's 6505 for Gavin's "Over the Seas 2007" demo. Your example has sparked up even more interest. :headbang:

Seriously dude, you should make an album, even of just short clips, I would buy it in a heartbeat. As I have said before your stuff has this awesome dark/unsettling sound vibe.

Damn, I want a 2-channel Recto as well. :erk:
and a Fireball :erk:

Hi CJ,

I like your sound. The whole thing has space and love the feedback.
What snare are you using is it a stock EZ DFH? Which one?

that was nice.. can i ask:

was the mic straight on dead center?

what was the gain levels on the amps about?

what in general, was the post processing on the guitars and drums?

the bass sounds great too. what was that in?

thanks
Eddie