5150 III vs Kemper

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Would you guys get a 5150 III 50 watt (already have a genz benz g flex 2x12 cab) or save some more and get a kemper? The 5150 III is pretty versatile and it would be cool to have a real amp and cab to practice miking but on the other hand the kemper is way more versatile and I can play it at low volumes (something I have to do a lot). I could always down the line get a poweramp for it anyways. Problem is the price. I already need a new computer so getting a kemper on top of that will take a bit of saving and be a little reckless financially but it's a fucking kemper and I WANT ONE!

fuck zzounds has the 4 payment plan. I could get one now if I wanted....No NO I need a new computer soon. The computer could wait a few months though....but black friday is coming up as well... God dammit I want a kemper though. I feel like making a crazy impulsive decision and just mindlessly buying the kemper though...

well i would be saving that much money a month anyways so I figured why not just get it in advance and pay it off in 4 months. Thats not a very long time and I don't have many expenses right now.

ugh. I do tend to get a little bored of tones after a while. I really do love versatility. But dammit the 5150 III is really so much more affordable and still sounds awesome. Man I don't know maybe I'll just keep saving and see what happens.

Kemper all the way.

And that comes from me even loving the 50w EVH.

Also impressed a fellow evh 50w owner today with the kemper.
evh will basically be half the price of KPA though.

Can't go wrong either way I think.

I have a Kemper and am GAS'ing for the 5153 50W. If my Kemper would break today I'd get a new one before the 5153, no doubt whatsoever.

Don't make impulse purchases with money you don't even have. 4 payment plan? More like debt.
This. Been there done it. Never ever again. Well not for the kemper but another thing in the past. Better to save the money, walk out and it's yours right away and nothing more to pay.

5153 I'd say. Cheaper, and you can still play it quiet just like the kemper. Plug in a 6.5mm to 3.5mm adapter into the headphone jack as a "dummy" plug, which will silence the cab (still leave the cab plugged in), then run a cable from the preamp out into your interface.
I've had best results using the high impedance instrument in. Then just run a cabinet impulse on the signal and there you have it, silent practicing and recording.
That being said, the Kemper would probably be more versatile, though its always nice to have access to a good real tube amp.

I would think it would depend on your primary use. Will you be using it primarily for recording/practice at home or live?

Personally, for live use I still find it's hard to beat a traditional amp/cab setup (and this is coming from an Axe Fx user).