Kemper vs JVM410H

Uros

Sonic Incision
Jul 29, 2007
between sine waves
Hey,

I plan on upgrading my gear in a couple of months hopefully. Did some research, and I have narrowed down my choice to Kemper or Marshall JVM410H+2x12 cab (either 1936 or EVH III 2x12).

I hear all these great sounds that people pull off using KPA. It wears many hats, and does it really well. A big plus. It's just - ultimately, it's a software emulation, and as such it surely will become obsolete at some point, and at the end be replaced by KPA v2/3/etc, similar to how an older gen PC gets replaced by something newer. But I am not that bothered by this, since it already provides pretty convincible results!

OTOH JVM is great, and although pretty versatile for a tube amp, it's obviously nowhere near Kemper in that department. But it will never get "outdated".

What's big for me is - reliability in live use. JVM is obviously good in this regard, while I've heard some issues that people have had when using KPA live.

It's a big investment, and I intend to use it for many years, hence my doubts.

What's your take on this?

For live use, I'd probably get a real amp... That being said, I've never once been impressed by the JVM line and I'm still baffled as to why everyone on this forum seems to love them so much.

Tried it, and have also heard many great clips. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. So Kemper is not that reliable for live use or what? Does it tend to lock up from time to time?

If live use is the key factor, and the show is for money, with just one no backup, probably the JVM, because a tube failure will be a more intuitive situation to troubleshoot. A KPA failure, though rare, could still be a who knows what the hell digital :zombie:.

But two KPA (with good JVM profiles + 666 more awesome profiles) versus two JVM... Kemper.

I think some people on the Kemper forum would say it's very reliable though and are comfortable relying on one.

Pilot error ;)

Doubt it. I've owned almost every Marshall ever made and have owned at least 50 other high gain models from other brands, I can usually coax a good tone out of just about anything. That thing has just never done anything for me.

Really, this is the only forum on the internet I've ever heard widespread love for that amp on.

Don't get me wrong, it has some decent sounds in it, but there's plenty of other similarly voiced amps in its price range that I'd much rather spend my money on.

The Kemper is fine for live use....never experienced any trouble so far. I do have a Sansamp PSA mounted in my live rack just for backup purposes though...you just never know for sure ;)
It's funny, ever since i got the Kemper my amp GAS basically disappeared 100%. The JVM 210H is the only amp that i still own (i just couldn't live without owning at least one tube amp :D ) but it's been collecting dust ever since i profiled it, so go figure....

The Kemper was the best thing that could have happened to my stage and FoH sound. much more clarity, less/no feedback, lower stage volumes, consistent sound ever night, way less shit to carry around, and setting up IEM systems is a breeze.
10/10 would hit again

plenty of pro bands that use the KPA live
Trivium, Muse, NIN...

to be absolutely on the safe side, use only release FW versions, not the beta ones for live applications.

a few JVM410 users already sold their amps after getting a KPA ;)

Doubt it. I've owned almost every Marshall ever made and have owned at least 50 other high gain models from other brands, I can usually coax a good tone out of just about anything. That thing has just never done anything for me.

Really, this is the only forum on the internet I've ever heard widespread love for that amp on.

Don't get me wrong, it has some decent sounds in it, but there's plenty of other similarly voiced amps in its price range that I'd much rather spend my money on.

Having owned a JVM, I can definitely say.... definitely utterly and most obviously a... pilot error.

There is a lot of love for the JVM out there. A lot. Go look on the JVM forum or the Marshall amps forum for instance. Shit... even Rig Talk. The Satch version is even better imho.

Recorded clips are always the easiest way to illustrate an amp's capability IMO, and for the JVM (through the venerable Recto cab) I nominate:

I've only played the combo in a couple of guitar stores, but I really liked it for leads and crunchy stuff (though rhythm-wise I favor the Peavey/Mesa tone)

Last edited by a moderator:
Like what? Splawn is the only one that comes to mind, and none of them have the versatility of the JVM

I could care less about versatility. The JVM is a jack of all trades, master of none. Give me an amp that can do a few great sounds over an amp that does a lot of mediocre ones...

Splawn Quickrod and Nitro are both great, as is the Orange Rockerverb 100, the Rivera K-Tre and Bogner Shiva. Hell, from Marshall, you even have the 6100, which is just as versatile, cheaper, and sounds better.

Not really the same sound... but the Mesa Roadster or Mark V and VHT/Fryette Sig:X or 50/CL at around the same used price or Diezel Einstein for a little more all do versatility much better IMO.

Yes, I've heard some nice recorded tones of JVMs, but the same can be said about some of the least liked amps in existence. You can make many, many poor sounding amps sound great on a record - since the TS is using this live, that's where I'd be most concerned.

Having owned a JVM, I can definitely say.... definitely utterly and most obviously a... pilot error.

There is a lot of love for the JVM out there. A lot. Go look on the JVM forum or the Marshall amps forum for instance. Shit... even Rig Talk. The Satch version is even better imho.

I've owned 3 JVMs, I'm not stranger to the amp.

Sure, there's tons of love on the JVM forum and Marshall forum... they're dedicated to the amp and brand :lol: There's a few guys on RT that I've seen that love them, but any praise I've ever seen is generally from a specific group of people and not much anyone else.

Not discounting your love for it at all - if it works for you, more power to ya - I'd just much rather spend my money on other amps if I was going for that sound. I learned long ago that the perfect versatile amp doesn't exist and have amps for specific purposes now. The JVM does the lower and mid gain tones great, but where most people seem to like it most (high gain), is where that amp has consistently completely and utterly failed to impress me every single time.

I've heard a lot of individuals complain about reliability issues with their JVMs. Mine's been fine after years of hard abuse on the road. Only recently blew a screen grid resistor while at the studio.

It's quite a comparison. They're two very different units. The Kemper can, at times, almost perfectly profile the tone of a tube amp. The JVM is just a JVM. It sounds like a JVM. You can't get tired of its sound one day and dial it to sound like a 5150. That being said, the JVM and the assortment of sounds it does are some of my favourite low, mid and high gain tones in existence. It's one of the best, most well-balanced tube amps I've ever heard. I've only had trouble dialing it for high-gain when the guitar feeding it has had active, or exceptionally harsh pickups. The JVM tends to like full-bodied passive tones where you derive the aggression from strong pick attack.

Why are you calling OP a tubescreamer?
:lol:

It's quite a comparison. They're two very different units. The Kemper can, at times, almost perfectly profile the tone of a tube amp. The JVM is just a JVM. It sounds like a JVM. You can't get tired of its sound one day and dial it to sound like a 5150. That being said, the JVM and the assortment of sounds it does are some of my favourite low, mid and high gain tones in existence. It's one of the best, most well-balanced tube amps I've ever heard. I've only had trouble dialing it for high-gain when the guitar feeding it has had active, or exceptionally harsh pickups. The JVM tends to like full-bodied passive tones where you derive the aggression from strong pick attack.
Actually, whats turned my attention to this amp, among other examples, is hearing it on a record you did. I've also tried the amp in a store, really digging it.

I've heard a lot of individuals complain about reliability issues with their JVMs.
:erk: issues like what?

A lot of them down here had their power supplies fry, from what I've been told. Or they keep blowing fuses. Certain amp techs here seem to think the model is notorious for it. Again, mine has never had that issue. Luck of the draw.

I've owned 3 JVMs, I'm not stranger to the amp.

Sure, there's tons of love on the JVM forum and Marshall forum... they're dedicated to the amp and brand :lol: There's a few guys on RT that I've seen that love them, but any praise I've ever seen is generally from a specific group of people and not much anyone else.

The point is, you said you hadn't seen a lot of love for it. I'm saying you're not looking in the right places. I don't see a lot of love for the 5150 on the Telecaster forums out there... doesn't mean I'm going to assume no one digs them!! :loco:

Not discounting your love for it at all - if it works for you, more power to ya - I'd just much rather spend my money on other amps if I was going for that sound. I learned long ago that the perfect versatile amp doesn't exist and have amps for specific purposes now. The JVM does the lower and mid gain tones great, but where most people seem to like it most (high gain), is where that amp has consistently completely and utterly failed to impress me every single time.

I'm not playing a JVM right now actually. I'm using a Diezel D-Moll.:Smokin:

Sadly, I too have had issues with my JVM too. I fucking LOVE that amp, but the reliability is definitely a pretty largely spoken issue. Ermz, you seem to be a lucky one! haha.