NAD: Marshall JMD does JVM!!

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011
Hey guys! I got this amp two days ago and I finally got to play it properly today. I've got the JMD 100 watt head and a 1936 2x12 cab also. I LOVE THIS RIG and when I say rig that's all I'm using live in this one band. Basically Softube (one of my favorite plugins are made by these guys) made 16 digital preamps based on all of the best Marshalls and a 100W EL34 power amp so it's not your typical hybrid amp with one preamp tube and a crappy power amp. In addition it has four different delays (analog, hifi, tape and multidelay), reverb, chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo. All of these effects sound great and it's completely midi controlled so you can save presets. IMO this amp gets automatically bashed for being a digital Marshall but this is extremely hype-worthy if you ask me. Just take a listen to this clip of the modern high gain tone which is the JVM preamp. All knobs are set to noon, one SM57 on the 1936 cab and no post processing.

EDIT: THE AMP HAS A NOISE GATE. I think it's very similar if not a direct rip off of the ISP Decimator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came across this amp while browsing around one of the online music retailers. I too like the softube stuff so i was curious. Clips sound really good, thanks for posting.

No pics? :(

Honestly, I didn't like the tone much - Though I've also hated every JVM I've tried. It wasn't as dynamic in the lowend as I expect from a real amp, and has a weird crunch that is really grainy. I find it odd that you liked that tone so much but don't like the Kemper, which sounded much more realistic IMO.

You can see the amp in this video:

But yeah... it's a Marshall so it sounds like a Marshall. That being said, it's VERY similar to the Mesa Roadster vintage channel. It's actually almost exactly the same but the Marshall feels like the low end has been taken care of for mixing purposes. :) I don't get how the Marshall EQ works... the middle controls everything and bass and treble control pretty much nothing. :D But all the tones will sit in a mix pretty well like I said.

Last edited by a moderator: