NAD: Marshall JCM800 2203x

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
what a mean and loud fucker o.0

so i found a pretty sweet deal for a 2003 2203x - i wanted to get a 2203 ever since i sold my 2210 :D my main amp is a jvm210 on OD2 orange, straight in with the gain really really low, like 1,5/10. it's a really nice sound, but i was looking for an even rawer, opener, more punchy sound.

anyways, i'm surprised to see that the 2203 has so little gain....i was well aware of the fact that it isn't a high gain amp by any means, but even with the gain dimed, hot pickups and aggressive picking it's nowhere near metal territory. a boost is really necessary here, which leads me to my first question:

what do you guys recommend as far as boost pedals go? i have an ibanez ts7 and boss sd1, but i feel that i need to really crank the level (gain off) to get the 2203 into the right territory gain-wise, and then the 2203 input is driven just a tad too hard it seems. if i turn down the level a bit and add some pedal gain, it starts to have that pedal distortion sound which i'm not a fan of....too sterile and brittle.
i was thinking of the mxr zw44, any infos on that?

second question: the highend seems to be quite pronounced, it's almost a bit too much. i wonder if there's something in the way of preamp tube choice that will give me a rounder sound with less abrasive highs and even more of that sweet marshall midrange grind while adding some gain too?
i'm still unsure if the highend thing is an issue with the amp or the choice of cab and guitar - i have only used it for one rehearsal so far, through a 1960 fullstack with t75s and my dean vendetta which is somewhat on the brittle side.....i really need to check it out with my dean razorback through the 1960AV cab.

i've noticed that things sweeten up once you get the master past 3, but holy fucking christ, that's insanely loud. this is hands down the loudest amp i've ever owned. i frequently run the jvm210 with the master dimed and channel volume around 5-6, peavey 5150 with postgain around 3-4, and that's comparable to the 2203 with the master around 2. insane.

anways, great amp. did a few quick reamp tests and put it up against the jvm, there's no comparison. the jvm sounds small and compressed whereas the 2203 is fucking huge, raw, with much more lower mid punch, overall aggression and vibe. clips will follow soon.

Yup, right near the input.

Try the Zakk OD. It's got a cult following for its beef. Play around with tubes, too. A NOS 5751 in the V1 might help you enjoy the TS or DS1 better up front.

I've a variety of OD pedals here and I use a jcm 800 2204. Got a sd-1, ds1, marshall guvnor, joyo vintage OD, Joyo ultimate drive, Joyo us dream, snarling dog tweed e dog, ibanez ts7, ts9dx

My favourites are the TS9dx and recently I've been using the Joyo ultimate drive. (harley benton also have the same pedal).

The TS9dx has a few different modes and allows for a bit more fullness and gain on tap than a regular TS9. Smokes the ts7 I also have. Alot less fizzy and full sounding.

The Joyo's pretty nice. I think it's a fullton OCD clone but I've never used one of those so can't compare. It's a bit rawer and aggressive than the TS, less polished sounding but very mean. They're only 30€ new so worth getting to try anyway.

What does NAD mean?

No apparent distress, a status description in childbirth
NAD Electronics, a Canadian audio equipment manufacturer (originally New Acoustic Dimension)
Namibian dollar, the currency of Namibia
National Advertising Division
National Appeals Division, an agency within the United States Department of Agriculture
National Association of the Deaf, a non-profit advocacy organization
Ned's Atomic Dustbin, a British Rock Band
Network Access Device, a device in mobile phones that finds the shortest route for a connection
New Age Diamonds, a company producing cultured and synthetic diamonds of new age
Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, or NADH, a coenzyme and signaling molecule, whose oxidized form is NAD+
North American Datum, a series of geographic coordinate systems
North Atlantic Drift (also known as North Atlantic Current), an Atlantic ocean current; also the name of a Canadian Celtic music ensemble
Norwegian Association of the Disabled
Nad, County Cork, a village in Ireland
Noradrenalin, a hormone and neurotransmitter

haha.

Congrats fragle! man there was a time when i never thought id be into marshalls but the last few years my mind has completely changed. i got my first marshall amp and loved it and now ordered the second and excited to hear it when i receive it.

Im also interested to know the difference between a screamer type pedal and the Zakk OD for boosting a jcm in particular.. Let us know if you get to try them!

No pics and no clips? I demand instant ban hammer.

A ZW mxr is probably your best bet.

I just got one of these but the combo. http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/830715-nfad-jcm800-combo-f-stands-free-help-needed.html

i've noticed that things sweeten up once you get the master past 3, but holy fucking christ, that's insanely loud.

Although I've hardly used it I think this is your problem. This amp doesn't sound like much until it's pushed. I put a dummy load on it and set the pre amp at about 8 and the master at about 6 and it starts to sound pretty intense.

You're right about the boost though. I put a TS9 and an SD1 in front. TS9 sounds great, SD1 is a bit harsh. The boost is less sterile and you need less gain on it once you get the master vol up.

Oh, and the volume! Man stand back or you face will get ripped off by this thing! I couldn't believe it. The combo has a 2x12 in it, I can't run amp very loud at my place, but if I set the pre to about 3-4 and the master at about 1 it's too loud for me.

I currently have a 2205, i know it's a tad different amp...

anywho, i'm running a maxon od808 as a boost, i'm quite happy with it, but i'm also thinking of picking up a xotic bb preamp, the demos do sound nice, on the other hands it seems to be overpriced.

never liked the zakk OD, too "dirty", i like my boosts smoother

guess i'll order some new preamp tubes (i was thinkin 3 jj ecc83 and one tube town e83cc v1 so i have a few options....any other recommendations?) and a selection of boosts from thomann, just to try a few things.
so far i'm considering the mxr zw44 (supposedly it's a great match with the 2203), maybe also the maxon od808 - is there a significant difference to the ibanez ts7?
also, i'm looking into some clean boosts....the idea is to keep the 2203 tone as intact as possible, just with more gain. any recommendations?

The proco Rat is also a popular choice for boosting the old school Marshalls. My buddy has one and it sounds like a beefier sd-1, I really like it as a boost. I would also second if6was9's suggestion on the ibanez screamer deluxe, it could be could cool becuase it has a few different variations on board and a bit more tweakability than your average boost.

The Wylde Overdrive is pretty much a hot-rodded SD-1. If you didn't like the SD-1, I don't think you're gonna go "woah!" with the Wylde.

I wouldn't really call the Wylde OD "beefy". It cuts more low-end than the average tubescreamer for sure.

I have a '81 2203.
I usually use a TS or SD1.
To get it to Metal territory (I don't usually use it for metal), amp gain is maxed and TS has the vol maxed and gain between 9 and 12 o'clock.

Here are some examples of JCM800 tones I reamped:
(Rock tones)
Josh "Zombietakeover" recorded and mixed both tracks. I only reamped.

Mississippi Bones - Crushed by the Weight of the Monolith

Phantom13 - Voices of the Dead

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an older (mid/late 80s) JCM800 that I modded the tone stacks on to reduce top end. For Rock I've been very happy with a Fulltone OCD pedal, for Metal my favourite was a Boss GE7 graphic eq, push the level up and adjust tone to taste and just leave it on all the time.

The proco Rat is also a popular choice for boosting the old school Marshalls. My buddy has one and it sounds like a beefier sd-1, I really like it as a boost. I would also second if6was9's suggestion on the ibanez screamer deluxe, it could be could cool becuase it has a few different variations on board and a bit more tweakability than your average boost.

Back in the day Rats were generally avoided for pushing Marshalls, they were considered better as a "sound in a box" pedal. If you don;t like the TS mids (personally I don't) then the Boss alternatives (Super Overdrive or Distortion pedals) were quite popular.

Obviously whatever you like the sound of works, this is just an historic note not a criticism.

http://http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172565

Thread on the duncan forum where someone is having the same dilemma. Some different suggestions on there that might be interesting to OP.

At Dustbowl, I always thought the Rat was more of a straight distortion box too untill I saw a legendary Cleveland hc band called the Spudmonsters boosting their 800s with them, Im pretty sure the guy from Ringworm also had the same setup when I ran sound for them last. It could just be a Cleveland thing ha. I didnt start playing untill the early 90s so i cant weigh in how classic the combination is in this regard.

Hey Manic - yup, whatever does the job. I reckon the best I ever heard a rat sound was plugged into a Mk11 Boogie combo, the player had the clean channel set clean (go figure) then use the rat as his rhythm channel and kept the lead channel for leads. It sounded better than the mid channel on my Boogie Mk3 by a long chalk (hell, my JCM900 sounded better than that dog) :-( but the player was a total Tone Devil - he worked in a local guitar shop and had magic hands (I saw a number of folks bring in guitars to trade and he'd take the guitar and play it and they'd decide to keep it - not really what you want in a shop!) so go figure.

To this day my 800 has the most 3d sound I've ever heard from a live amp - it's almost like when you mid-side process a stereo track and the components of the sound somehow seem to disconnect in a massive (good) way.

How can anyone not want to play guitar?!?

All the best

A.