JCM 800 mods for more gain?

I recently swapped tubes in mind and put it back in service in the punk band. I totally love it so hard. i've been flirting with the idea of 'upgrading' all the capacitors and resistors in it when i get money (prob never!)....

I've just played through my Ceriatone JCM 800 clone after making swapping out a resistor and a capacitor and it's got so much more crunch now, need to make some more mods cause its not beefy enough in the low end but jeez it makes a difference. This is all at low levels with master volume a fraction off 0, can't wait to take it to band prac and hear it at decent levels.

Mods I did were:

Replace the 470pf cap that bypasses the 470k resistor before the volume control with a 2200pf cap. This drastically increases midrange and is probably the most crucial step to get near the SLO tone.

Replace the slope resistor (33k) with a 47k (very important for the SLO type midrange). Alternatively you can use a 39k.

The guys on the slocloneforums.com site are great and there is a wealth of information for getting more juice out of your gear.

I've just played through my Ceriatone JCM 800 clone after making swapping out a resistor and a capacitor and it's got so much more crunch now, need to make some more mods cause its not beefy enough in the low end but jeez it makes a difference. This is all at low levels with master volume a fraction off 0, can't wait to take it to band prac and hear it at decent levels.

Mods I did were:

Replace the 470pf cap that bypasses the 470k resistor before the volume control with a 2200pf cap. This drastically increases midrange and is probably the most crucial step to get near the SLO tone.

Replace the slope resistor (33k) with a 47k (very important for the SLO type midrange). Alternatively you can use a 39k.

The guys on the slocloneforums.com site are great and there is a wealth of information for getting more juice out of your gear.

dude, turn that master up. jcm800's should have plenty of beef.

Try changing the 2 caps coming of the phase inverter(.022uF) to SLO/5150 values(.047uF). I actually use .1uF in my builds, it lets a little more low end into the power amp. If you play a 7string or if you play drop tunings, you will probably like the slight difference it makes.

Try changing the 2 caps coming of the phase inverter(.022uF) to SLO/5150 values(.047uF). I actually use .1uF in my builds, it lets a little more low end into the power amp. If you play a 7string or if you play drop tunings, you will probably like the slight difference it makes.

Cheers mate, will look into that as well and post feedback :)

That red FJA jcm800 just made me cream my pants. That's my favorite amp I've ever heard. It's the tone that I'm always looking for with amp sims but never get. Anyone with reamping services have anything similar to this?

Being a huge metallica fan growing up that is one of my favorite tones

Last edited by a moderator:
mmmm even though i just had it repaired... think i may snip the bright cap on my JMP....

Made some more modifications and now my JCM has tones of gain without using a TS, sounds awesome at low levels but if I turn the volume up over 2 it feeds back like a bitch when not playing, it was feedback back so much we were actually able to jam and use the high pitch squeals in between riffs as if it was a musical note and incorporate it into the song.

I'm thinking a noise gate should stop this?

Made some more modifications and now my JCM has tones of gain without using a TS, sounds awesome at low levels but if I turn the volume up over 2 it feeds back like a bitch when not playing, it was feedback back so much we were actually able to jam and use the high pitch squeals in between riffs as if it was a musical note and incorporate it into the song.

I'm thinking a noise gate should stop this?

Yeah once you get into 'modern' high gain territory, you either need a fast hand to spin the guitar volume down during mutes, or get a noise suppressor/gate.

Yeah once you get into 'modern' high gain territory, you either need a fast hand to spin the guitar volume down during mutes, or get a noise suppressor/gate.

Cool I might have to hunt around for a cheap pedal or buy some parts and build my own. I'm hoping to have a jam in the rehearsal room this weekend so might have to take my laptop and a mic so I can try record this beast.