Request for a Marshall education

What is pretty funny to me is that when the JCM 800 came out, people hated them, they were trashed among players and engineers. In 1988 I could have bought one in a local pawn shop for $200-$350, all day long. (I was too busy rocking my ADA MP-1 rig to worry about it)
20 years later they are highly regarded. The truth is there was never anything wrong with them they were just different from the JTM's.
It makes me think I need to buy a bunch of JCM 900's and keep them in my basement for 20 years or until some kick-ass guitar player makes them popular.

Has someone here tried out those Vintage Moderns? I've read sooo much good things about them but considering the musical press tending to be biased, I'd like to hear some other opinions.

Fragle, thanks a lot man, that's really helpful - serious GAS alert right now! (though I wanna get a decent recording rig established before I get another amp, arrrggghhh money...)

TheDude, yeah, I've heard the JVM's kick ass, and while they are ludicrously expensive, that's pretty sweet that they cover all the bases. Still, for that kinda money, I'd have a hard time passing up an Engl :D

Everybody's X, that's really funny that the 800's were maligned in their time, but what's a JTM? I didn't see any mention of that above, how did it differ from the 800 sound?

this is a JTM45
jtm45features.jpg

don't forget about the difference between horizontal and vertical input models on the 2203 and 2204. The vertical input models are exactly the same as the JMP 2203 and 2204 I've been told. and the horizontal input models are voiced differently. my experience learns that the mid control on the horizontal input models control the high mids more that the low mids, the vertical input models tend to do the opposite.

don't forget about the difference between horizontal and vertical input models on the 2203 and 2204. The vertical input models are exactly the same as the JMP 2203 and 2204 I've been told. and the horizontal input models are voiced differently. my experience learns that the mid control on the horizontal input models control the high mids more that the low mids, the vertical input models tend to do the opposite.

agreed!
the tone controls on 800's and jmp's are very VERY odd

agreed!
the tone controls on 800's and jmp's are very VERY odd

Don't expect Mesa versatility out of the tone controls on an old Marshall, either. There's pretty much one tone to be had in there, but it's a good one. :kickass:

For what it's worth, my personal experience A/Bing my TSL against my JMP- the TSL had more bass and lower mids, while the JMP was much brighter. However, the JMP's bass knob seemed to control a lower frequency than the TSL's, and the JMP's bottom end was much tighter. The TSL was muddy and congested in comparison, and didn't sound as "big". (And to say that a Marshall anything was muddy tells you something about old JMPs!)

And just for fun, here's my old JMP (with an SD-1 as a boost) on all the rhythm tracks: JMP 2204 clip. The solo is actually a Pod XT on the Dual Recto setting with the SD-1 out front. :lol:

For what it's worth, my personal experience A/Bing my TSL against my JMP- the TSL had more bass and lower mids, while the JMP was much brighter. However, the JMP's bass knob seemed to control a lower frequency than the TSL's, and the JMP's bottom end was much tighter. The TSL was muddy and congested in comparison, and didn't sound as "big".

and the JMP is actually a tubeamp ;)

+1 on the sd-1....preferring that to a TS on a marshall myself

and the JMP is actually a tubeamp ;)

+1 on the sd-1....preferring that to a TS on a marshall myself

...and the JMP doesn't have a useless tin footswitch that fails right out of the box at rehearsal, assembled with screws that come pre-stripped in case you get the idea to replace the switches and mod it into something functional... It has a lot of gain though. :lol: Given the choice, I'd take the JMP and a good boost pedal over a JCM 2000 any day, and I'm a "JCM 2000s aren't that bad" apologist. I payed about 1/3 as much for the JMP, too. Good luck with that these days.

The SD-1 is good stuff; I'm surprised it doesn't get more love around here. It's a bit more agressive than the TS and its clones; it has more bite to it.

forget the valvestates. i don't know why chuck got along with them so well, i guess it was because he always had the other guitar player use one, too. the other guitar player of my old band has one (huge chuck fan there), and while it's a decent let's say practice or beginners amp, it just does not hold a candle whatsoever when in the band mix with any halfway decent tube amp.

as for the dsl/tsl line, a few years ago i used a dsl100 for a couple of shows, and it was OK sounding. suited the style of music we were doing (thrash metal), had no trouble with cutting through or getting enough clarity either. granted, that is as long as you don't go crazy with the gain, that's really the key to the jcm2000 line. some of you guys who bash the jcm2000 would be surprised how little gain you actually need to sound heavy. i *think* back then i had the lower gain mode of the drive channel around 5-6 or something. didn't care for clean and crunch, so i can't comment on that one.
regarding the tsl, that's what said other guitar player is still using afaik. i'm willing to bet that all of you who call the tsl muddy harsh and undefined used the lead channel for rhythm sounds. DON'T DO THAT. it's for LEAD playing, that's why it's called LEAD channel...duh! sure, it's not the very best marshall lead sound either, but it gets the job done. the crunch channel however i think is an often overlooked gem. iirc the other dude always had his gain around 3 o'clock or something, going straight in without any boosts whatsoever, and it was plenty for the style of music (thrash metal, mind you), was tight, clear, and had a nice edge. once again, there sure are better sounds out there, but for the price (600euro used or something) and the fact that it also has a decent clean channel, 2 fx loops, reverb, dedicated lead channel for a lead boost, you can't really go wrong there if you ask me. i'm still tempted to get one just for shits and giggles to see how it stands up against my cobra and the powerball the other guitar player in my current band is using.

"Don't expect Mesa versatility out of the tone controls on an old Marshall, either. There's pretty much one tone to be had in there, but it's a good one."
not *quite* true. sure, you're right about the mesa part, but saying that there's only one basic tone doesn't do the amps justice. i can't comment on the very early models, but the jcm800 2210 i own sure has a certain amount versatility to offer. it can go from schenker singing leads to something along the lines of carcass necrotism...i'd call that versatile. would you?
the both gain controls (channel volume acts as a gain boost when set higher) alone deliver tons of different gain textures, from more classic marshall OD crunch to a fizzier almost fuzz style preamp based tone. keep in mind that you got to have them BOTH pretty high to get into modern metal territory, so that kind of versatility doesn't really apply there. however, i also find the mid control to be VERY effective...up high it's more like the cobra's crunch channel (without the notch engaged), while the scooped sound is reminiscent of recent exodus. also, playing with the presence vs. treble controls you can go anywhere from smooth to sizzly.
of course, you don't have all those sounds available on the tap of a footswitch, so i can definitely see why people don't want to call it versatile.
i also don't want to deny that, while the controls actually shape the sound a LOT, the basic sound always remains marshall...but inside the marshall realm there's a whole world to discover. just my .02$ though...

ah, and before i forget it, +1 on the sd1 vs tubescreamer comment above :)

forget the valvestates. i don't know why chuck got along with them so well, i guess it was because he always had the other guitar player use one, too. the other guitar player of my old band has one (huge chuck fan there), and while it's a decent let's say practice or beginners amp, it just does not hold a candle whatsoever when in the band mix with any halfway decent tube amp.

as for the dsl/tsl line, a few years ago i used a dsl100 for a couple of shows, and it was OK sounding. suited the style of music we were doing (thrash metal), had no trouble with cutting through or getting enough clarity either. granted, that is as long as you don't go crazy with the gain, that's really the key to the jcm2000 line. some of you guys who bash the jcm2000 would be surprised how little gain you actually need to sound heavy. i *think* back then i had the lower gain mode of the drive channel around 5-6 or something. didn't care for clean and crunch, so i can't comment on that one.
regarding the tsl, that's what said other guitar player is still using afaik. i'm willing to bet that all of you who call the tsl muddy harsh and undefined used the lead channel for rhythm sounds. DON'T DO THAT. it's for LEAD playing, that's why it's called LEAD channel...duh! sure, it's not the very best marshall lead sound either, but it gets the job done. the crunch channel however i think is an often overlooked gem. iirc the other dude always had his gain around 3 o'clock or something, going straight in without any boosts whatsoever, and it was plenty for the style of music (thrash metal, mind you), was tight, clear, and had a nice edge. once again, there sure are better sounds out there, but for the price (600euro used or something) and the fact that it also has a decent clean channel, 2 fx loops, reverb, dedicated lead channel for a lead boost, you can't really go wrong there if you ask me. i'm still tempted to get one just for shits and giggles to see how it stands up against my cobra and the powerball the other guitar player in my current band is using.

"Don't expect Mesa versatility out of the tone controls on an old Marshall, either. There's pretty much one tone to be had in there, but it's a good one."
not *quite* true. sure, you're right about the mesa part, but saying that there's only one basic tone doesn't do the amps justice. i can't comment on the very early models, but the jcm800 2210 i own sure has a certain amount versatility to offer. it can go from schenker singing leads to something along the lines of carcass necrotism...i'd call that versatile. would you?
the both gain controls (channel volume acts as a gain boost when set higher) alone deliver tons of different gain textures, from more classic marshall OD crunch to a fizzier almost fuzz style preamp based tone. keep in mind that you got to have them BOTH pretty high to get into modern metal territory, so that kind of versatility doesn't really apply there. however, i also find the mid control to be VERY effective...up high it's more like the cobra's crunch channel (without the notch engaged), while the scooped sound is reminiscent of recent exodus. also, playing with the presence vs. treble controls you can go anywhere from smooth to sizzly.
of course, you don't have all those sounds available on the tap of a footswitch, so i can definitely see why people don't want to call it versatile.
i also don't want to deny that, while the controls actually shape the sound a LOT, the basic sound always remains marshall...but inside the marshall realm there's a whole world to discover. just my .02$ though...

the DSL is a completely different animal than the TSL!!
the DSL is actually an all-tube amp....
the TSL is infected with diodes all over the place

i have a dsl and i love it.
Its great for more rocky things.
its not really that great for metal

i'm willing to bet that all of you who call the tsl muddy harsh and undefined used the lead channel for rhythm sounds.

I'm not saying the TSL is muddy or undefined in general- it says "Marshall" on it; getting it to sound muddy would take some serious work. I was referring to A/Bing the TSL against a 1976 JMP 2204. The JMP had less lower mids and tighter, clearer bass. I've used both of the TSL's gain channels for rhythm tones with good results in the past, but neither has the same "open" voicing as the JMP does.

...and once we get into channel switchers, that statement no longer applies. Well, the tone controls bit still does, in that I still haven't encountered Marshall anything where you can significantly change the voicing of the amp by doing something so simple as twiddling the knobs on the front panel. (Though the tone controls on their more recent offerings have much more dramatic an effect!) The channel switching 800s most certainly go from Michael Schenker leads to old-school DM tones- considering that's what Michael Schenker uses (2205s, I think; his settings are floating around out there, too.) and I've heard unboosted channel switching 800s more than hold their own for heavy tones. They cut through very well, and I've heard guys scoop them and not come away with an embarrassing, mid-less mess. (like on certain more modern amps with more powerful tone controls...)

And I'm glad to see some SD-1 love on here! :headbang:

"the DSL is a completely different animal than the TSL!!
the DSL is actually an all-tube amp....
the TSL is infected with diodes all over the place"
frankly, i don't care....what i stated above, about both the DSL as well as the TSL being quality amps, is NOT based on internet rumors, is NOT based on studying schematics and counting the diodes in the signal path, is NOT based on playing those amps for 5 minutes at a store. it is based on my personal experience with those amps in not just one, but MANY live situations, as well as many rehearsals where the TSL had to stand up against quite some quality gear, including an engl blackmore, peavey 5150, and a framus cobra.
even if the TSL was a friggin solid state amp with a 20w power section made in china, it still sounds good. especially for the price. same goes for the DSL.

"i have a dsl and i love it.
Its great for more rocky things.
its not really that great for metal"
use the crunch channel (TSL) / low lead (DSL), and don't go crazy with the gain. also, fuck all those mid scoop or whatever gimmicks. there's plenty of metal in there.

"I'm not saying the TSL is muddy or undefined in general- it says "Marshall" on it; getting it to sound muddy would take some serious work. I was referring to A/Bing the TSL against a 1976 JMP 2204. The JMP had less lower mids and tighter, clearer bass. I've used both of the TSL's gain channels for rhythm tones with good results in the past, but neither has the same "open" voicing as the JMP does. "
while i sure get your point, and agree with what you're trying to say, you could as well go on and bitch about the rectifiers not being as tight as the mark series amps. if the TSL sounded like a 1976 JMP 2204 it would probably be called a 1976 JMP 2204 and not a TSL.

and no, of course you can't change the voicing just by turning a few dials. after all it's not a modeling amp :lol: what i was trying to say is that the tone controls do indeed have a sort of "dramatic" effect if you want to call it like that rather than just being there for merely cosmetic purposes.

Sounds like someone's on a crusade...:p

And to clarify, were there ever any vertical input 2205's/2210's? Or for that matter, is there anything else to look out for, good or bad, on those models? Also, a few posts back I gave a link to a 2205 that didn't have an FX loop, anyone know what's up with that?