Help!!!!!!!!A lot of doubts. Torpedo Vb101, Live, AXE, Kemper and Home Studio.

Jun 22, 2009
Spain
www.youtube.com
Hey. I have a lot of doubts. I want a Home Studio and I want to dispense with the use of VST IR's and so avoid overloading my CPU. Among the options that I value, are the Live Torpedo The Torpedo Vb101, the AXE FX II and Kemper Amps. I have several tube amps including a Mesa Boogie Roadster, a 6505 modified to my taste, Marshall, etc I also have a POD X3.

Basically I want to buy something of good quality, that i will give me good results in sound and performance. On one hand I thought the Axe Fx II, but I think is too much money for a digital device. The Kemper is a great option, but i think that it for the moment is in the beginning. For this reason and having the tube amps that sound really good, a great choice I think would be the Torpedo. My question is this. It's worth the Vb101 both with respect to the Torpedo Live???? I not want options if this options are only using in a professional studio. I need recording guitars at home, with the best quality possible. It's a big difference in sound quality between the Vb101 and Live??? Worth the money difference between the Vb101 and Live???

If someone thinks that is best option the AXE FX II or Kemper instead of my 6505 or Roadster + Torpedo Vb101 or Torpedo Live, I'm open to any potential ..........

A greeting.

ISO Cab?

Use the POD for scratches and cutting DI's. Then Reamp with real mic'd cabs.

Thanks aortizjr
The isocab was one of my options. I have seen several videos of Ola where used with good results. But I think that I will not get the same results and I think it may sound too tight and not to expand the air. I've done some testing with a home system but I did not like the results. Maybe I will build a isocab later a well insulated to see better the outcome, but for now I want one of the other options.

Greetings

@OP : You might wanna read this :

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=111690&sid=1807c66f1ee40d14aa3ed831db7af4df

and click "compare" on that page (to see the differences between the VB-101 and the Live) :

http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-live/

If you had no amp heads you should have gone axe fx or kemper but considering you have good amp heads that you like then Torpedo is the way to go IMO.

Thankyou Djabthrash.

The links are very interesting. I want metal sounds with good quality and I think the Torpedo will be a great option for use with my actual amps.

I See That You Have the Torpedo Vb101. I guess the Live Torpedo will not Have anything to do with VST and LeCab devices etc. as far as sound quality is Concerned???

Greetings

Thankyou Djabthrash.

The links are very interesting. I want metal sounds with good quality and I think the Torpedo will be a great option for use with my actual amps.

I See That You Have the Torpedo Vb101. I guess the Live Torpedo will not Have anything to do with VST and LeCab devices etc. as far as sound quality is Concerned???

Greetings

LeCab (which is just an impulse loader, and then you load it with whatever impulses you like : freebies, redwirez, etc) and other VSTs (Recabinet, ...) are quality already, not to mention Nebula.
The Torpedo stuff is just more "integrated" and more advanced (moving the mic position in real time, etc) and closer to the real deal (miking an amp for real) i think. Also, there are tons of different cab/mic combinations you can find only in the Torpedo, and some you will only find in Redwirez or Recabinet and so on...

But nothing prevents you to try out LeCab with different impulses for starters ! And you can try out the Torpedo PI-FREE plugin (which is limited to only one cab/mic but at least you can check out all the Torpedo software features). I'd say Recabinet is in between the third-party IRs stuff and the Torpedo stuff.

Maybe you can try the Torpedo Live and return it if you don't like it or something ?

LeCab (which is just an impulse loader, and then you load it with whatever impulses you like : freebies, redwirez, etc) and other VSTs (Recabinet, ...) are quality already, not to mention Nebula.
The Torpedo stuff is just more "integrated" and more advanced (moving the mic position in real time, etc) and closer to the real deal (miking an amp for real) i think. Also, there are tons of different cab/mic combinations you can find only in the Torpedo, and some you will only find in Redwirez or Recabinet and so on...

But nothing prevents you to try out LeCab with different impulses for starters ! And you can try out the Torpedo PI-FREE plugin (which is limited to only one cab/mic but at least you can check out all the Torpedo software features). I'd say Recabinet is in between the third-party IRs stuff and the Torpedo stuff.

Maybe you can try the Torpedo Live and return it if you don't like it or something ?

Thankyou Djabthrash for your help.
A greeting.

/\ I know you probably don't speak english fluently but this made me laugh, reminds me of the Elcor in Mass Effect :lol: Amused.

I'd say if you have all those amps, just do like many have stated here and just use amp sims for monitoring the recording, then maybe rent a rehearsal space or a studio proper and reamp them at a later time through your awesome tube amps, which imo is going to be the best option sound wise, maybe not practically though. This way you get the performance you want, and are able to concentrate on mic positioning and tone without worrying about playing well. Just a (cheaper) option imo.

You should go check out the discussion about the Torpedo Live that's taking place in the "Production Tips" area. I'm an Axe FX II owner, and have been eyeballing the Torpedo product line for awhile, but that discussion has ignited a real interest. The Axe FX II is great, but if you have some quality amplifiers already, the Torpedo could be a simple, more natural solution. I've found that with the Axe FX II, you can't approach it the way you would with a physical amplifier, and the learning curve is quite steep. It's easy to get usable, good sounds, but it's often hard to get great sounds. Personally, I feel that I may be able to get great tones faster with real amplifiers through the Torpedo, judging from experiences with cabinets and using an amp's preamp out to impulses in the DAW. So... I'm going to vote Torpedo, although I still don't have personal experience with the product. I'm considering purchasing their plugin later today though.