5150 lost its balls

kickinwing65

¯\(°_o)/¯ - How do?
Dec 3, 2007
Petoskey, Michigan
I've had a 5150 for almost a year now, Re tubed it with JJ's and it sounded amazing. After spending a month in the cold garage, then bringing up to the studio after about an hour warm up then trying it out it now sounds like it has lost a lot of its balls. Where I would normally have the lead gain at 3.5 I have to have it around 6. The tubes are less than 6 months old and sounded way better before I kept it in the garage. I reseated all the tubes and still have the same problem. Just wanted to know if anybody has ran into this situation before and maybe there is a simple fix...:kickass:

Forgot to put this in the post: thats the thing, when I brought it to the warm studio was about 3 weeks ago, I've been playing it off and on since then, and My buddy is jamming on it at the moment and its been on for a good 2 hours now. Still no luck :(

yep, it sounds like the old fx loop problem. i had this too. solved it by changing the send and return jacks.

I tried a jumper between the fx send and return, sounds no different, the cab was in the studio, I just put Veteran 30's in it so all the screws and wiring are secure. I'm thinking of digging out the valveking from the trailer outside, letting it warm up inside for a day or two then seeing if that has any more balls, Maybe I'll swap the tubes as well.

Change the First Preamp Tube with an older one if you still have them. The one closest to the Input Jack. That is if it has just lost some gain and not overall volume. If the jumper between the FX loop jacks didn't help, I wouldn't think it's a dirty jack problem.

how is the low end response now vs before? first thing that came to mind is the pregain-pot bypass cap.. (have been staring at the schematic lately...)

how is the low end response now vs before? first thing that came to mind is the pregain-pot bypass cap.. (have been staring at the schematic lately...)

I don't think non-polarized caps would fail, if you're not driving them with too high voltage. How does it have anything to do with low end response anyway? Bypassing a gain pot with a capacitor just gives you some high frequencies. It won't affect the low end.

I'd say corroded jacks, preamp tube bases, or possibly a failing power filter cap in the preamp power supply? Don't store your amp in a cold & humid area Ô_o