5150..yea

scorpio01169

Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
i am excited...after all you guys talking about this amp, i'm finally getting to mic one up next week. the band is really into the Obituary, Six Feet Under, type of stuff. any tips would be helpful before we get started.....but here's what i plan

5150 head, marshal cab (dont know which one yet)
B1 in front of grill, sm57 from the side,------->A.R.T. pre( for B1)------->mackie 32.8 bussed to one channel,-------->mackie mdr 24/96 mtr, on the way back, panned hard left, and again bussed to another channel panned between left and center

Marshall head, Marshall cab.....same staging but to the right.

what do you guys think?

+1 ditch the B1. If you can get a hold of another sm57 or grab an sm58 and take of the windscreen.

I have a couple of C1s that moodbender sold me and they do not sound good recorded close up to a cab at high spl levels. They sound aight on clean shit about a foot away from the speakers. I know the B1 is a different mic but they can't be that much different.

Yeah...if it's heavy type stuff you need to have the SM57 be the dominant mic right up against the grill basically. The condensor really should not be the main mic...

Also I'm not quite sure I understand your panning or whatever it is you explained...usually it's best to stick with what is used the most 100/100 and 70/70. You generally don't want main rhythm guitars up the middle of the mix...maybe in a chorus or something to add some balls to the song, but you don't want it like that during the entire track(s). IMO.

~e.a