6505 recordable without box

hoehlentroll

Mar 15, 2007
Mannheim, Germany
I'm thinking about picking up a 6505 for recording purposes. I'd like to record simple with impulses. Also I don't have a cab at home. Is it possible to record without having a load attached to the amp. Will it be possible to leave the post gain at zero and the pregain at a certain level and have good recording results by just going through the preamp output?

Regardless of where you'll take the signal from
YOU MUST HAVE A LOAD IF YOU ARE TO USE A TUBE HEAD/POWERAMP
Big letters stand for "don't fry your amp".

Actually, if you leave the standby switch off you can crank anything on the amp without a cabinet hooked up. The problem of frying the amp only comes into play when the standby switch is on, which basically connects the amp's voltage to the cabinet. If it's on and no cabinet is attached, the power just circulates within the head's components and thats when you get a jacked up amp.

~e.a

Mine doesn't do that, you have to have it on...I guess you could try running from the effects loop send and then put a dummy cable in the return? Running a cable from the send and having nothing in the return will still output the sound through the speaker...But, putting the dummy cable in will keep it from playing through the speaker.

Never tried it, though.

One thing that kicks ass about the JSX/XXX is that because they have a master volume, as long as you have it plugged into a cab, naturally, you can turn both the power and standby on but turn the master volume all the way down so literally no sound comes out of the cab - but you still get full signal from the FX send!