7 string pickups

jamesboyd

andy's bitch
Aug 17, 2003
new zealand
Visit site
hey all,

I'm looking at putting new pickups in my ibanez 7 string and was looking at these 3 options for the bridge

emg 707
seymour duncan sh6
seymour duncan sh4

I've used 707's before and really liked them, but I have a certain love hate relationship with emg's and was looking for something that would be a bit more organic and very versatile.

It will be played through a xxx, and podxt, and the guitar body is mahogany.

thanks

james

I've had great luck with my 707s I put in my ESP LTD H-307. I've found them to be plenty organic and versatile...

I've heard great things about the EVO 7 pickups that Vai uses, if you want passives, though...

Well, I just got a Schecter Hellraiser C7 which came with EMG 707's (bridge and neck)...I already want to switch them out with EMG 81-7's...or at least the bridge one anyway. The 81 has a bit more "metal" to it, and I have dual 81's in my main 6 string (ESP/LTD EC-1000 Deluxe) and I love those pickups a lot.

As far as other options, I think the sh6 is the JB for 7 strings, correct? If so, then thats also a great pickup. However, the Seymour Duncan Custom Custom is a little bit more towards the metally sound of an EMG. You should also check out Bareknuckle pickups, they are made in the UK and are allegedy the SAME thing as an EMG 81 *only* they are passive. Same goes for Lundgren pickups. Here's a very helpful site/forum that I don't think I could do without now that I have been there for a while...

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum

Under the "Sevenstring Guitars" section, there is a post at the very top with reviews to various different 7 string pickups from varied manufacturers and applications. Be warned though...the majority of the people on that site have Ibanez guitars. But there still is a lot that have other brands as well (ESP, ESP/LTD, Jackson, Music Man...etc). Check it out.

~006

I ordered a jb7 and maxon od808 from music123, the maxon is awesome!!! so smooth and clear :kickass:

putting the jb in tonight, will have song done with the jb and maxon after this weekend and will post results *crosses fingers and hopes that the jb7 kicks as much ass as the maxon* :Spin:

Be ready to tweak your amp setting a bit. The jb doesn't have a prominent bottom end for the "chugga chugga" like emgs do, but if you adjust your amp and give yourself a bit of time to get used to it I think you'll be happy. I much prefer the tone of duncans to emgs, though I do like the 85 a fair amount.

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
It's all about the 707... It's pretty nice all around.

the new m81 for 7 string might be better for guitar than 707.
isn't it a bass mic? well, anyways if I'm wrong, they just started to make 7- string m81, and they are in the market as we speak.

81-7 is not a new product. It has been around for at least a year or two. 707 is of course a guitar pickup.

no shit? now I have to accept my bad knowledge. Maybe we just don't get the 7string 81's here in finland, because just a couple of months ago, a friend of mine said "finally emg has 81 for 7 string.

well, I guess we live in the stoneage here in Finland.

mxlinus said:
no shit? now I have to accept my bad knowledge. Maybe we just don't get the 7string 81's here in finland, because just a couple of months ago, a friend of mine said "finally emg has 81 for 7 string.

well, I guess we live in the stoneage here in Finland.

No wonder Alexi Laiho is using EMG HZ!!! :tickled: