EMG 707, 81-7 or SH-8 Invader 7 ?

DURBANS

Feb 2, 2005
Hi

I was looking around EMG's website and Harmony Central and found out about the EMG 81-7. Is this housed in the same bass box as the 707 (meaning you'll have to route the guitar) or is it a direct replacement?

Now, compared to the EMG's, how does the Seymour Duncan Invader sound? I've heard it has lots of output, maybe more than 81's, but any first-hand experience guys?

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with Invaders, but 81-7 has the same housing as 707 and it is 7 string version of 81, just like 707 is 7-st. version of 85.

What type of guitar is it? What type of music ect...

I've heard the invader is pretty dark, so it might get a bit muddy in a thick mahogony body. Remember, output isn't everything- just because the invader has the highest output in the duncan line(livewires excluded) doesn't mean it's the best sounding. You could always try the invader though, and exchange it for something else via the 21 day policy until you find what you're after.

Or emgs... either way, you should get a good sound.

His guitar is Ibanez Plywood special I think(Basswood), it will be awesome no matter what.

It's an Ibanez RG1527 Prestige, basswood body and I play death metal.

I was actually looking for EMG's until I found out about the routing-the-guitar issue. My next choice was SD and I know output isn't "everything" but in this case in particular I am looking for it, specially.

Why doesn't EMG make a 7 string humbucker in the conventional format? That's weird.

DURBANS said:
It's an Ibanez RG1527 Prestige, basswood body and I play death metal.

I was actually looking for EMG's until I found out about the routing-the-guitar issue. My next choice was SD and I know output isn't "everything" but in this case in particular I am looking for it, specially.

Why doesn't EMG make a 7 string humbucker in the conventional format? That's weird.

Cost. They are using a bass pickup housing. The cheap bastards!

Hey, at least it looks formidable, haha. I'm really hoping that the 707's sound good in a mahogany-body guitar, as I'm still after that C-7 Hellraiser. I'll need to balance it up between that and the Blackjack though, just to see whether active really works for me over passive.

Moonlapse said:
Hey, at least it looks formidable, haha. I'm really hoping that the 707's sound good in a mahogany-body guitar, as I'm still after that C-7 Hellraiser. I'll need to balance it up between that and the Blackjack though, just to see whether active really works for me over passive.

My EMG's are in a mahogany bodied guitar, and they sound great. If the 707 are just 7-String versions of the 85 they will sound amazing!!

So how will the SH-8 Invaders sound on a Basswood body? Assuming basswood is less dense than mahogany, thus brighter.

Oh sorry, thought that mahogany was kinda bassy and dark due to it's density.

Anyway, how will these pups (Invaders) compare to EMG 81's in terms of output?

also into the mix you have Lundgren M-Model pickups? they are passive's that sound like actives they are consistant like EMG's but higher output like...Invaders...they are more costly...but have found that they Just work and sound better...worth a try guys.... Lundgren M-Models