7500 hz

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
does anyone know what type of equipment could induce this noise into every single HI-Z channel i record? no matter what device i use, its always there.

its a sharp spike at 7500 hz on my analyzer

it doesn't come through my microphone channels, only guitar DI and bass DI

for di's i've used all this gear, all located in different areas of the room, and still get the sound:

1. RME FireFace 800
2. Mackie Onyx 800
3. API 3124+
4. Great River ME-1NV

hmm...NTSC is 15khz (=2x7.5khz), don't know if there's a connection.

edit: upon googling it seems some people use 7.5khz against dogs.

Yeah I have had this problem and still do. I've heard that optical mice can cause this sort of noise but when I hold my instrument closer to the computer it increases. It also increases when I scroll through Pod Farm. I would say that it is a combination of power supply and perhaps CPU Voltage? I mean CPU because any spike in processing that my PC performs (not recording however) will cause the noise to stutter.

Hope that helps.

:)

I'll raise the peace flag on this one. Those Monster Power conditioners aren't the "cure-all" they claim to be. No conditioner is. Yes, they help, but they don't fix everything. I wouldn't suspect the conditioner is your culprit, but obviously it's not stopping whatever is.

Per my own thoughts and another EE I just consulted:

The fact your mic doesn't give you any problems tells you it's the magnets in the pups. The strings are big antennae and they're picking up noise from something. You need to systematically take everything out of the equation.

Are you using a Desktop or Laptop? Do you have another computer you can use?

The power supply in your computer is a likely suspect.

Are your lights flourescent? If so they may be using solid state ballists. This could be a potential culprit.

I highly doubt it's your monitor.

Wireless is up in the Gigahertz. Highly doubt it has anything to do with it.

I would shut everything off in the entire house to effectively troubleshoot though. And I mean everything - Heat, AC, Wireless, Router, Cable Box, Lights, Monitors, Microwave, The Iron, Your Glade Plugins, Grandma's Life Support, etc.

Only things that should be turned on are your conditioner, interface, and computer. Light some candles so you can see, it'll be romantic. Use a wired mouse and keyboard. Disconnect your wireless mouse/keyboard sensor. Disable/disconnect your wiress NIC card. Turn off your cell phones.

If the noise still persists get the longest cable you can and take the guitar into another room. You can't use a shitty cable for this either though or you could induce other issues.

could be the mouse.

I've had all sorts of troubles with wireless USB and bluetooth mice.

Sometimes it's just the scroll wheel, other times it's just a whine.

What mouse are you using?

i forgot to mention

you dont even have to have a guitar plugged in, the instrument cable its self will make the tone
so its not with magnets

i've tried different cables from all over the country (i get lots of bands coming through here)

i forgot to mention

you dont even have to have a guitar plugged in, the instrument cable its self will make the tone
so its not with magnets

i've tried different cables from all over the country (i get lots of bands coming through here)

OK.....need more information

You plug a line cable directly into the interface with nothing attached on the other end, and it starts making the noise? Are you going through a DI box or direct in? What happens if you attach something else to the other end other than a guitar/bass? IE: a keyboard, etc.

If you plug an XLR directly into the interface with nothing on the other end, it does or doesn't make this noise?

One more thing - Your outlet is definitely modern romex (or equiv) wiring, right?

And yes, I think the answer is obvious - it's gotta be the microwave.

hey joey...just curious, but have you done any investigating to see if your proximity to the airport might have something to do with it?

doesn't seem all THAT likely...but i'm sure crazier shit has happened before.

still haven't figured this out

i did a test where i plugged in the cable, with things attached and not attached, switching on and off everything, including speakers and screens

its a very consistent peak of 7500 hz that doesnt move at all...

also tried unplugging other devices on the same breaker (microwave / other computer systems)

i think next i need to power down the breaker to see if any of the other breakers are interferring

one combination i can't currently test is turning off the screens and the speakers at the same time, because then i have no way of knowing of the tone is still there or not haha

i guess i could hit record then try it... but i wonder if pro tools would take a shit if i unplugged screens from my mac while it was in record mode...

7.5khz is a typical frequency used by radio devices, its a long shot but if you get desperate it could be worth investigating. Move the machine to a different room see if it gets better or worse.

one combination i can't currently test is turning off the screens and the speakers at the same time, because then i have no way of knowing of the tone is still there or not haha

i guess i could hit record then try it... but i wonder if pro tools would take a shit if i unplugged screens from my mac while it was in record mode...

Headphones