7500 hz

10op7ci.png

x43v5t.png

34xmhx1.png

opmz4x.png

realize thats with the knob on the api turned all the way up

Joey - I have had this EXACT same problem in my studio for a few years, and I have never been able to work it out. The only workaround that I've come up with is to record DI tracks in another room (on another floor in my house) and then reamp the tracks in my studio. There is some type of "interference" (for lack of a better word) that only happens when I record in my studio (which is actually a small bedrrom on the second floor of my house), and it only affects instruments with pickups (guitar and bass) - it doesn't appear when I reamp tracks that were recorded elsewhere, or with keyboards, synths, drum machines, etc. In my case it definitely wasn't cabling, it wasn't an electrical issue, it wasn't dimmer switches, it wasn't anything that anyone thought it could have been.

I've tried EVERYTHING including shutting down the main breaker to my house and running only a laptop (on battery), apogee one interface and my guitar. In my studio - buzzing noise like crazy. In my living room - no noise at all. And I can also do the thing that you mentioned where if I move my guitar around, there is one TINY little spot in my studio where the noise goes away (almost completely) but it's such a small spot that trying to record an entire take in that position, hunched over in this really wierd spot is 100% impossible.

It sounds ridiculous but the only thing I can think of is that my niehgbors have some type of device that is causing it (baby monitor, wireless 'something,' or maybe it's even my wireless water meter?), because my studio is about 10 feet away from their house (gotta love the suburbs of NY...). I've actually given up trying to figure it out, ever since I found my 'living room workaround,' but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you have better luck than I did.

Good luck.

Bobby

Joey - I have had this EXACT same problem in my studio for a few years, and I have never been able to work it out. The only workaround that I've come up with is to record DI tracks in another room (on another floor in my house) and then reamp the tracks in my studio. There is some type of "interference" (for lack of a better word) that only happens when I record in my studio (which is actually a small bedrrom on the second floor of my house), and it only affects instruments with pickups (guitar and bass) - it doesn't appear when I reamp tracks that were recorded elsewhere, or with keyboards, synths, drum machines, etc. In my case it definitely wasn't cabling, it wasn't an electrical issue, it wasn't dimmer switches, it wasn't anything that anyone thought it could have been.

I've tried EVERYTHING including shutting down the main breaker to my house and running only a laptop (on battery), apogee one interface and my guitar. In my studio - buzzing noise like crazy. In my living room - no noise at all. And I can also do the thing that you mentioned where if I move my guitar around, there is one TINY little spot in my studio where the noise goes away (almost completely) but it's such a small spot that trying to record an entire take in that position, hunched over in this really wierd spot is 100% impossible.

It sounds ridiculous but the only thing I can think of is that my niehgbors have some type of device that is causing it (baby monitor, wireless 'something,' or maybe it's even my wireless water meter?), because my studio is about 10 feet away from their house (gotta love the suburbs of NY...). I've actually given up trying to figure it out, ever since I found my 'living room workaround,' but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you have better luck than I did.

Good luck.

Bobby
dude, major bummer

the sound started when i moved out here to my house
and it occured on my old rig too (rme / windows / cubase)

im really bummed about it. i hope i can figure out even a make shift solution just for tracking di instruments.

i've even had amps in the house before, and they make the noise too

For me it started after I did a major renovation to my house (essentially ripping off the existing second floor of my house and putting on a new one). My studio is basically a new room that never existed, and my old studio was on the first floor, so the issue never reared its ugly head until I moved upstairs.

I really do wish you the best of luck. This issue caused me SOOO much grief that it's beyond belief. I always thought that it was equipment related, so I wound up selling guitars that I thought were noisy, amps that I thought were noisy, interfaces, effects units, cables, etc. Then I finally realized that it couldn't be all of the ‘gear' it had to be something else. So I stopped selling gear, but I still never figured it out. Now I just deal with it.

And yeah - it's REALLY fucking annoying. I'm actually getting aggravated right now just thinking about it.

Bobby

In my experience those frequencies are the result of either a device that has gone microphonic or a short in a cable or wire that is shorted or unshielded usually from damage that is picking up radiating RF's. Cable quality would be the first thing I would check, also make sure that the ground of the devices are working correctly and that the ground and mains from your house are working correctly, as a band ground connection in the outlet can induce some noise.

Cell phones are guilty of those frequencies as well as AM/FM radios, CRT monitors, large power transformers (guitar amps), stompboxes, and poorly grounded/shielded outlets.

i've even had amps in the house before, and they make the noise too

sounds like you have unshielded cables in your house or you have a bad supply from the station/grid that is picking up RF interference if amps are doing it too. Only solution would be to plug in an x-hum on all music application devices, buy a power conditioner, have some type of ferrite choke installed on your houses mains (on the circuit breaker) or install ferrite beads on all power cables.

The school I attended a few years back had a similar problem. and we found out that it was caused by a faulty powerstation several km away, so basically there was nothing we could do about it. The fault on the powerstation wasn't hazardous in any way, but it carried a weird spike at around the same frequencies you guys are describing.
This was some time ago, so I don't remember all the details.

The school I attended a few years back had a similar problem. and we found out that it was caused by a faulty powerstation several km away, so basically there was nothing we could do about it. The fault on the powerstation wasn't hazardous in any way, but it carried a weird spike at around the same frequencies you guys are describing.
This was some time ago, so I don't remember all the details.

^^^^FINALLY THE ANSWER: some friends of mine opened a studio 25 METRES from a power station. They have killer equipment but everything sounds much worse than at home. Curious, but I never thought of the station as the source of the problem fucking up the freqs o_O:erk::confused::kickass:

In my case it wasn't power related though - since the issue occured in my studio while using my laptop on battery and the main breaker to my house shut down. I'm not sure if Joey's issue is the same.

Joey - do you have a cheap, bus-powered USB interface? If so, my advice would be to shut down your main breaker so no power is running through your house, connect the interface to your laptop, grab a guitar, and check EVERY inch of your house to see if you can find a spot where the noise goes away. That should tell you if it's power related or "environmental."

Or even better - maybe he can pick up one of those 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch guitar cables so he can plug a guitar directly into the 1/8 audio port on his laptop.

That TICK you mentioned, I'm having the same problem. It happens when one of my parents use something in a room on the same floor that absorbs a huge amount of power... like when my mom's ironing, every time she presses to give more steam, you can hear a tick going through my monitors.
Don't know if this solves anything, hope you find a solution quickly!

thread is seriously fascinating. i NEED to know the cause. i know it's gonna end up being like...an old cold war rural nuclear missile silo a mile down the road. or something epic like that.

My cousin has the same problem in his studio, but they noticed that it was only present during the summers.
One day they just got a major "AHA!" moment: Electric fences.

They have their studio "out in the bushes", and the farmers used electrical fences for sheep, cows and horses.
They asked the farmer to turn of his fences, and sure enough, there was their problem.
The big issue for them is that they cant really get rid of it, because its not going through the powerlines(As the farmers use car batteries.).

OK - admit it - how many of you did a double take on Joey's screenshots to see if he was accidentally displaying his pod farm settings? :)