7500 hz

Im pretty sure that no one that has written in this thread did.

This reminds me of a really annoying hiss and tick I had a while back. Whatever it was was looping through everything I owned. I thought it was just bad house wiring, but go figure, it was an SPDIF jack on my old interface that was touching the metal chassis. Just lifted the ground on those jacks and all the noise went away.

Could be something simple like that, but unfortunately it could be thousands of different things.

Let me preface this by saying I don't know if Joey's problem is exactly like mine, and if I'm starting to threadcrap, please let me know. But Notuern's comment about the electric fence really started to make sense to me. In my case, my noisy studio is much closer to my neighbor's property than my 'noiseless' living room. So if it was something like an electric fence (in this case for a dog, and not a cow) something like that could clearly be the problem, at least in my situation. And one other thing that I was thinking, is that maybe Joey's studio is close to the point where the actual electrical feed comes into his house? Maybe the proximity of the main electrical line could have something to do with it also? I'm FAR from an electrician, so this might not even make sense, but throughout all of my troubleshooting, and time wasted looking for ground loops, replacing breakers, replacing cables, shutting down power to my entire house, and the fact that our noises are both centered at 7500hz, I'm hoping that I can save Joey some of the time and headache that drove me nuts for the past few years (and is starting to drive me nuts again, thanks to this thread!!).

Bobby

Let me preface this by saying I don't know if Joey's problem is exactly like mine, and if I'm starting to threadcrap, please let me know. But Notuern's comment about the electric fence really started to make sense to me. In my case, my noisy studio is much closer to my neighbor's property than my 'noiseless' living room. So if it was something like an electric fence (in this case for a dog, and not a cow) something like that could clearly be the problem, at least in my situation. And one other thing that I was thinking, is that maybe Joey's studio is close to the point where the actual electrical feed comes into his house? Maybe the proximity of the main electrical line could have something to do with it also? I'm FAR from an electrician, so this might not even make sense, but throughout all of my troubleshooting, and time wasted looking for ground loops, replacing breakers, replacing cables, shutting down power to my entire house, and the fact that our noises are both centered at 7500hz, I'm hoping that I can save Joey some of the time and headache that drove me nuts for the past few years (and is starting to drive me nuts again, thanks to this thread!!).

Bobby

my neighbors have a dog with invisible dog fence

and my control room is where the main power comes into the house

unfortunately, i think the noise was here before the neighbors moved in (and thank god they're moving out now, hate those dogs)

don't know much about the power situation being in close proximity yet

im still in session so i can't shut down the power

I had the same buzz problem which turned out to be the light on my girlfriend's Hermit Crab tank. And also, the tick issue I had once was the stupid pager in my pocket....

And one other thing that I was thinking, is that maybe Joey's studio is close to the point where the actual electrical feed comes into his house? Maybe the proximity of the main electrical line could have something to do with it also?

art067-electromagneticos-altatension.JPG

high voltage lines can affect, yes.

alright guys

it has nothing to do with physically connected AC electricity

tested every room in my house with a laptop and firebox, running on battery power, and got the tone consistently in every single room

what next?

alright guys

it has nothing to do with physically connected AC electricity

tested every room in my house with a laptop and firebox, running on battery power, and got the tone consistently in every single room

what next?

I assume you tested with the mains power off?

Take the laptop outside and test to see if the signal is higher on a particular side of the house. That might give you some idea of what direction it is coming from.

I assume you tested with the mains power off?

Take the laptop outside and test to see if the signal is higher on a particular side of the house. That might give you some idea of what direction it is coming from.

didnt test with the power off
figured i didnt need to on the notion that the laptop is running off of battery power.

didnt test with the power off
figured i didnt need to on the notion that the laptop is running off of battery power.

No. That only eliminates the AC>DC step down transformer. Highly unlikely to be that. The interference you are getting is airborne for want of a better term, turning of the mains to the build will either eliminate that the source is coming from inside the building or not. If the building power is off and you still get the signal then you know its coming from somewhere else. At this stage you really want it to disappear with the main off because at least then you have an opportunity to track it down and fix it.

No. That only eliminates the AC>DC step down transformer. Highly unlikely to be that. The interference you are getting is airborne for want of a better term, turning of the mains to the build will either eliminate that the source is coming from inside the building or not. If the building power is off and you still get the signal then you know its coming from somewhere else. At this stage you really want it to disappear with the main off because at least then you have an opportunity to track it down and fix it.

alright, i'll try that as soon as i can

seeing as how my monitor switch is broken today, and i can't work over the weekend, i'll probably be able to test soon.

Glad someone got it :loco:
I can see Joey's control room encased in chicken wire or tin foil. This would help him on his studio atmosphere, a good contrast to the wood paneling. It would definitely be more metal. m/

lol

the wood paneling is not here to stay, it was just that way when i bought the house

the living quarters have already been remodeled a bit, but studio is last unfortunately. i want it to be really awesome obviously, so it will be the last thing i upgrade.

hey I just read your comment about the ticking every second noise and I too had this. I am still mystified as to the original signal of the ticking, which had a period of 1 second it turns out. It was solved when I put a hum-x in the socket before my powered subwoofer which connects to my speakers