80's Hair Metal

Sep 1, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
i dont see why 80's hair metal is put down so much. I mean sure it was cheesy and all, but look at the guitarist back then. WAYYYYYY better then mainstream guitarist today. At least the 80s had some kick ass guitar players (except for maybe poison). I mean look at the dude from winger. he was cheesy and stuff, but he could absolutley kill on guitar. look at mainstream bands now like linkin park, korn, limp bizkit, & godsmack. These are TERRIBLE guitar players. i would rather listen to fuckin winger all day then that stupid shit :mad: . Im not talking about good metal today thats bad.... just mainstream metal or mainstream music in general. :cool:

I have all the Winger albums
80' "metal" - some good stuff:
Whitesnake
Bulletboys
name escapes me - Sebatian Bach lead singer
Poison - well - a few songs anyways
Twisted Sister
Cinderella
Great White
Guns and Roses
Savatage
Kix
Ratt
Raven
Krokus
...to name a few

group.jpg

Hehe im not dissing them though...they're one of my favourite bands (X Japan)...hide was awesome on guitar (and yes i mean was, he died ;_;)

EDIT: my tears got turned into a smiley

Fave 80's hair metal bands:

Twisted Sister
Quiet Riot
Guns & Roses

I'm a fan of 80's hair metal. And since I grew up in the 80's, I appreciate it more. It was SO happy, yes, cheesy, but it was "feel good" metal - absolute joy! Damn, I miss those days :D

My brother! You have seen the light! I can't tell you how many times I've found myself defending Winger. Reb Beach is fucking amazing. His signature Ibanez also happens to be one of the finest guitars you'll ever play too. No one ever gives Winger any musical respect. Hell, everyone in the band were some of the best L.A. session men that have ever been around. They also, collectively, had to bust their asses to make Winger go over with the masses. The first album was out for nearly a year before it got popular. Here's a trivia question for you about them: What was the FIRST single and video released from that album?

Granted, there were plenty of bad hair bands too. The scene just became over saturated and the labels wanted to cash in on the success of the bigger names. So, they signed anyone who'd been together for more than five days and used lots of hairspray.

Lost in that mess were some great bands and musicians that got their major label deals but never got the promotion they needed. Such as:
Icon
Banshee
Hurricane
Enuff 'Z Nuff
Dangerous Toys
Tora! Tora!

Originally posted by metalmancpa
I have all the Winger albums
80' "metal" - some good stuff:
Savatage

I think that it's great that Savatage is still going strong, touring and such. Wow, did they steal the show at a Fates Warning/Savatage concert I went to last year. One of my absolute favorite!

i hear what your sayin dude. as a long time guitarist myself, i was heavily influenced by a lot of bands from that era. mostly your old metallica, megadeth, iron maiden and the likes, but even some of the whimpy bands had some great guitar work. there are still a lot of good guitarists in todays mainstream, but they're not making it to the top of the heap of bands out there playing incredibly simplistic stuff. it'll turn around again, eventually people will get bored with the stuff out there on the airwaves and the next eddie van halen will come along and it will be a pre-requisite to have a smokin' guitarist if your bands gonna get anywhere!

Look what you've done to me!!! I've totally altered my listening schedule tonight because of this post. Here's what's in my playlist for the next hour or so:

Dangerous Toys - Scared
Warrent - the Down Boys
Dokken - Mr. Scary
White Lion - Wait
Icon - Taking My Breath Away
Icon - In Your Eyes
Cinderella - Don't Know What You've Got
Enuff 'Z Nuff - New Thing
Ratt - Slip Of The Lip
Winger - Hangin' On
Slaughter - Up All night
Bang Tango - Breakin' Up A Heart Of Stone

I have to admit for a weakness for some of that good old 80s metal. I still love Twisted Sister and Whitesnake.

I'm a big Savatage fan too, though I never really thought of them as a hair band, despite the hairspray.

Most of the other bands it's kind of hit and miss, as in there are only a few songs I still really like. For example: Warrant - April 2031.

Here's the answer to the first trivia question.

Q. What was the first single/video from the first Winger album?

A. "Madeline",(debuted on Headbanger's Ball on MTV near the end of the show in the wee hours of the morning. It got practically no response. Several months later, they released a video for "17" and that got the ball rolling for them.)

Next hair Metal trivia question:

Q. From what 80's Hair Metal video does this quote come from,(artist and song required in your answer): "Give me a bottle of anything, and a glazed doughnut. To go!"

Would be nice for someone to start a thread on metal trivia..I think it would be fun :) (I would do it, but I have no idea what question I would start it with :confused: )

Originally posted by Analog_Kid

Next hair Metal trivia question:

Q. From what 80's Hair Metal video does this quote come from,(artist and song required in your answer): "Give me a bottle of anything, and a glazed doughnut. To go!"

David Lee Roth - Yankee Rose

Originally posted by Jannet

After much searching: David Lee Roth - Yankee Rose

*Ding Ding Ding* We have a winner! Now go download the following songs and revel in 80's bliss:

Banshee - "Shoot Down The Night"
Hurricane - "Over The Edge"
Nitro - "Freight Train"

Ooh! That reminds me of another great 80's Hair Metal trivia question:

Q. The lead singer of Nitro was Jim Gillette. Who is his famous 80's Metal Goddess wife?

actually, tony rombolaof godsmack isn't that bad of a guitarist, he's pretty good with a wah wah pedal...the papa roach guy is good at making catchy riffs, the korn guys are crap guitarists but their stuff sounds good because they use a ton of effect

Originally posted by Klaha
group.jpg

Hehe im not dissing them though...they're one of my favourite bands (X Japan)...hide was awesome on guitar (and yes i mean was, he died ;_;)

EDIT: my tears got turned into a smiley

x-japan.jpg

Yoshiki, Toshi, Hide, Pata, and Heath.

I love this band also. Got a box set of all their albums.

This band is HUGE in japan, or was anyway.

They had a wonderful progression, had some great epic long songs, like Rose fo Pain, and Art Of Life.

Their progression from a typical garage 80's band to one of the greatest heavy metal bands ever was great. Shame I only found out about them after Hide died. I love em anyways.

John Chedsey has a great review of Art Of Life, on www.chedsey.com

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan

x-japan.jpg

Yoshiki, Toshi, Hide, Pata, and Heath.

I love this band also. Got a box set of all their albums.

This band is HUGE in japan, or was anyway.

They had a wonderful progression, had some great epic long songs, like Rose fo Pain, and Art Of Life.

Their progression from a typical garage 80's band to one of the greatest heavy metal bands ever was great. Shame I only found out about them after Hide died. I love em anyways.

John Chedsey has a great review of Art Of Life, on www.chedsey.com

How did "The Art of Life" go again?
I haven't heard that one for AGES..