80's pop riff in "hours of wealth"?! what is it?

The_Accolade

A Heart of Gold
Aug 2, 2002
here and there ;)
Visit site
hi

new to this board, and i couldn't find a search function, so i'm sorry if this has been brought up before.

i noticed that at around 1:03 on "hours of wealth", the music sounds almost exactly like the rhythm section in some famous 80's pop song. or maybe it was a 90's song. serious pop music. its a really cachty little riff, so i'm dying to know what it is...

i don't think its bad that its in the song... could be an accident, since its so catchy, or maybe they found out, but decided to keep it... who cares, i don't think its an instance of plagiarism or anything horrid like that.

anyway, does anyone know what song i'm talking about? anyone at least agree on the premise?

thanks

well fuck me sideways if that's an 80's pop tune as well. I wrote a song 2 years ago or something with a part VERY similar to that. I know i didn't get it from a pop song though, i don't know the song you are referring to. But my jaw dropped a bit when i heard that part... i was like "this is so familiar... what the hell" then i realized where the similarity was. Of course my song has quite the different atmosphere, but the similarities are uncanny...

have a listen for yourself.

http://www.bumblelovesmusic.com/music/Mikey_Smith_-_Tiny_Graces.mp3

I recognize it too. I just listened to it again, and it immediately reminded me of The Police. After a little digging, the closest I can come up with is "King of Pain"... VERY similar. Could this be what you're thinking about? Sorry, I don't have a sample handy, tho.

Mumblefood, sue their fucking asses and get tons of money from the corporate fucks at RR! :D

But seriously... I don't know what song are you talking about, but stuff like that happens to all the bands all the time so there you go...

this is getting interesting. all 3 songs - king of pain, hours of wealth, and tiny graces share the same bassline. a dotted quarter note, and the a half note tied to an eighth note a whole tone lower. kind of a swing sound... its most obvious in king of pain cuz of the percussion, which there is none of in the other two songs.

hours of wealth and tiny graces when transposed to the same key, have 3 notes different. king of pain is chords not arpeggios.

by the way, i really liked tiny graces

what's wierd, is that king of pain was not the song i was thinking of! d'oh...

now it seems like it resembles 2 older pop songs, and those 2 resemble each other. i guess "catchy" was an understatement.

i wrote a riff in a song of mine (written long before i even knew about Ghost Reveries) and it's extremely simililar to the 2nd riff in Beneath The Mire - except it's in a clean. It's all rather spooky.

Yeah I noticed this as well. Plus Moonlapse Vertigo borrows pretty liberally from Hadeway's "What Is Love"

I pretty much enjoy the King Crimson reference in the booklet of Ghost Reverie, myself :

"Ghost Reverie :
An observation by Opeth.

Meh. Gotta love tributes to inspiration as they come.

Couldn't drag myself to stay on-topic, sorry.