80s snare sample?

Curse9

Jun 10, 2008
Germany
Hi guys,

I need a typical 80s snare metal sample to replace the original. Most of the 80s metal band had this typical snare sound. I know there where plate reverbs used very often. But I wasn't able to let it sound like 80s yet.
Are there any usable samples out there or do you have one? I googled but with no very usable result.
Thank you very much for help!

Cheers

The gated verb sound? Can't remember what the metal snares sounded like in the 80's but I know that a large verb cut off with a gate was used a lot in the 80's. (I personally love that sound still)

Somebody should know better than I. Good Luck.

Plate reverb on snare in the 80's? More like gated reverb or halls. But, there was a wide range of sounds used, so a specific example would be helpful. Also, get the Alesis D4 fat city snare (I think that's the name) and blend in with another. It'll get you there. Since most of my own stuff that I do is 80's metal style, I use this constantly. Also, the snare from the old Roland TR-707 works great blending in as well. I've still got mine, I should really sample it sometime...I miss that snare sound. :lol:

2 things for that 80's snare sound:

-extreme para snare comp with a dbx160 (compress until it sound overcompressed like hell and blend it to your original snare, for get that snap on it)
-gated linear hall reverb