A Band That Reminds Me Of THEOCRACY

Eyesore

Apr 9, 2002
Boston
www.eyesoretimes.com
This band Dreamcatcher posted over at metalreviews.com and a bunch of us really liked what we heard from the samples, so I bought the EP. It arrived and it's awesome! I then reviewed it. I'd suggest you check them out, they remind me of Theocracy quite a bit. You may not think so, but they're definitely good.

Read my review here and listen to samples here:

http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=3061

Der Schriftsteller said:
Hmm they sound good
The annoying interruptions in the clip seem to turn people off, but the CD is actually quite good. I've been giving it a lot of air time since I got it liek 2 weeks ago. The song "Wanderer Of The Ocean" shows the biggest Theocracy similarity, I think.

I was reading one of Theocracy's reviews and I was actually kinda ticked off.
Sure it was a good review, but the reviewer compared every song to every other band out there....'this song sounds like Edguy, and that song sounds like Avantasia....etc'
I know imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I honestly doubt that anyone likes to hear how much they sound like bands before them. I also sincerely doubt that was Matts intent when the debut was released. While the review gave Matt plenty of praise, the reviewer did a better job of just adding Theocracy to an already overcrowded pile of similar artists. For that I give that particular review 2 big thumbs down. It's cool to say Theocracy fits a particular genre or niche...but don't say stupid things in a review by likening each song to another bands style. That's poor taste if the intent is to write a positive review. I noticed a section in one Theocracy song is strikingly similar to a Megadeth song off Rust in Piece....but so what!. I have a song of my own that is a dead ringer for a Gamma Ray song. 8 times out of 10 bands have elements of sounds/stylings from other bands. That's just to be expected when it's all been done already.

hey...I just reviewed a review...wonder if there's a market for that?

Well, it's good for a reviewer to generally try and put out another name so people have a way to get their bearings when it comes to a bands sound. Just saying a band is power metal is very ambiguous. I compared this band to Theocracy because Theocracy is the band I was reminded of. They're not a copycat band, as I said in the review, they have their own identity, but I definitely found a similarity.

Saying so gives people an idea of whether or not they'll like it. They may not like the screeching high-pitched wail of Primal Fear type power metal, but they may like the more mid-range stuff like Theocracy. But yes, comparing every song to another band is really dumb. Did you check out this band? Do you think I am incorrect in my comparison?

They sound pretty good, I'd buy it, though I was not particularily dazzled.
Here's a segment from the review I was talking about, and you'll see what I mean....could he have compared any more other bands???
"It sounds very European, and comes across like a mix between Avantasia, Edguy, Helloween, Symphony X, and Kamelot."

this would have been sufficient, but then he goes on to say....

"....tracks are "Ichthus" (high quality European orientated uptempo Melodic Power Metal with catchy hooks and lovely chorus, like a mix between Kamelot and Edguy, "The Serpent's Kiss" (lovely Prog/Power Metal like Symphony X meets Helloween), "Theocracy" (like Edguy, with very catchy chorus), "Sinner" (big semi-ballad like Balance of Power) and the Avantasia orientated songs "The Victory dance" and "Twist of Fate". Concluded, a must for fans of real Melodic Neo-Classical Prog/Power Metal"

Okay I get it, if I own any of these other bands albums I'll have heard Theocracy. He's mentioned the genre/style a few times and listed some similar/familiar bands. That should be good enough, but to continue comparing all the songs to other bands long after the point has been made, that's just aweful.
BOOO to this review. Weak writing.

Yeah, even though he named so many bands it made things very vague! Symphony X meets Helloween? What aspect of Symphony X is he referring to? The two bands are not very similar and Symphony X is pretty progressive. Hahaha. Sounds like this guy is not a writer, he just likes free CDs! =)

Dreamcatcher now gets my personal thumbs up, now that I see they're from Canada. YAY!!! there are just too few of us up here.