a bassplaying question for Steve...

G

GolGotha

i Steve

i'm a bassplayer for 3 years, i play with 3 fingers but i have a problem :
where must i put my thumb ???

i own a 5 strings bass, so : on the neck/bridge pickup ? on the B string ? nowhere ?

tell me your what youb do please... that will help me ;)

LordFireworm said:
Before every gig, Steve takes off his thumb and uses it as a capo.
Hope I was of some help.

AEHUAEEHAUAEHUAEHUAEHUAEHAUEH OOOOH FUCK! That was a good one.:D

Now, back to the question: See what Mr Nitti have to say to you about that -> http://www.adamnitti.com/bass_player_02.shtml

I think Steve put his thumb in the E string, since he uses a Low C in his five stringed bass, and plays the five fingered style.

And another one: When foot-finger picking, where you put your foot-thumb?:ill:

GolGotha said:
i Steve

i'm a bassplayer for 3 years, i play with 3 fingers but i have a problem :
where must i put my thumb ???

i own a 5 strings bass, so : on the neck/bridge pickup ? on the B string ? nowhere ?

tell me your what youb do please... that will help me ;)

Here is a good videoclip of Sean Malone which displays a good way to approach this :
http://www.seanmalone.net/Downloads/Video/RM_Solo_Bass.rm

Hope it helps.

Well, you may put your thumb basically anywhere... In your E, in your A, in your C, even in your G or your B, but beware:

Never put your thumb in your S!

:D

Each bass is different.
Some basses you can play on the pick-up whereas other's, you can play on the lower string....but it all comes to preference and the feel...if your comfortable where your at , then play there....you get different tones as well....try many different positions...and pick the best for the application you need
Take care , good luck!
Kelly Conlon
www.kellyconlon.com
www.infinityminusone.com

Any of those ways can work. I have a Carvin 6, that I had a thumb rest installed that runs parallel with the B string and runs nearly from the upper cutaway to the rear pickup. I use the strings to rest when i want to mute certain strings. Or if I feel like doing some classical guitar picking, then my thumb rests on nothing, but floats over the bass so i can pick with it and my fingers.

It's all good; just know why you'd use one style over another. They each have pros and cons. But, I'll go along with Isreal and say never put your thumb in your "S".

Unregistered said:
Each bass is different.
Some basses you can play on the pick-up whereas other's, you can play on the lower string....but it all comes to preference and the feel...if your comfortable where your at , then play there....you get different tones as well....try many different positions...and pick the best for the application you need
Take care , good luck!
Kelly Conlon
www.kellyconlon.com
www.infinityminusone.com

Kelly Conlon?? Hey dude, how can I reach you??? I tried those 2 websites and none of them work!

Please, tell me an email where I can reach you or ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, AIM, anything! I need to talk to you!
If you prefer, send me an email, it's israelmbf@kovacs.com.br

Thanks in advance dude!
See ya!