A bizarre Maiden recording update

Allman

New Metal Member
Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Maiden in the studio Jan 2003

Greetings Maiden fans!!! The so called "boys with the noise" are back in the studio to record their 13th album. I was watching them play the last song for the day before they packed it in and went home. I was simply thrilled to be there .. listening to a live Maiden performance of a new song!! Rod had invited me to come to the studio and do an update on the recording. They were currently playing a short 3 and a half minute song, which could possibly be the first single. “It has the working title of “Floater”, Rod told me. The performance seemed to be over. "I guess that’s it for the day. Hello mate", Adrian said. I shook hands with him and the others. Dave smiled and continued to smile at me, two minutes after I had completely ignored him. I had turned my attention to Steve to ask him a few questions, but at that moment Nicko called out for everyone's attention. He was still seated behind his drum kit. "Look at what I've got here fellows". He was grinning; he appeared to be upto something. "Alright Nicko, let's have a look". That was Bruce. He had a mischievious tone to his voice. Apparently this was some kind of inside joke shared by the band. I watched and saw a gleam come into Steve's eyes as Nicko slowly brought forward a shiny bottle with a familiar logo. Steve almost looked transfixed. He slowly brought up his hand to take it, but then Nicko moved quickly and threw it to Adrian. "Want this Steve? Come and get it". Steve slowly walked towards Adrian as he held out the bottle, but then he also turned and passed it to Dave.

Very quickly the guys formed into a loose circle and threw the bottle to each other with Steve in the middle, trying to catch it. This was not quite how I had pictured a day in the life of Maiden. "Here, Adrian!", Janick shouted. Giving a semi-snarl Steve head-butted poor Janick who fought to maintain his balance. He looked very much like he did when he danced on stage. At last he fell over the amps and yelled loudly several times. Now Steve turned to Adrian.

“Do you have it, Adrian?”
“No, Steve.. I.. “

Steve boxed his left ear hard. Adrian spun half way across the room and collapsed. I really didn't know where this was heading. I had stopped trying to make sense of it all atleast by the time I saw Steve insert his hand into Dave’s mouth to push his tongue far back into his throat. “Where is it, you slimy twat?!” He rained blows upon Dave’s face which was proving to be quite malleable. “Yer mama” Dave said defiantly as his face got more and more swollen each second. He was starting to resemble Yoda more than ever. A dark patch began to form at the seat of Steve’s pants as he lost control of his emotions.

By then Nicko had dropped out of the game owing to an uncontrollable fit of laughter. "I.. can't.. take anymore!!!!" he explained between spasms and dropped wheezing to the floor. Tears streamed out of his eyes as he lay quivering on the ground.
All the while Bruce quietly stood to one side, smiling and taking in the sights. I doubt he could have been any happier if he was waving a Union Jack and shimmying around on steel poles. This spell only lasted till Steve caught sight of him. He pointed at Bruce and screamed, “You’ve got it, you sorry midget”!! Bruce took flight but Steve quickly caught up, bent him over and hit his back with his elbow several times. But Bruce’s spirit couldn’t be squashed easily. He brought out the bottle from under his shirt where he had hidden it and before Steve could act, threw it onto the top of the ceiling fan. “You lose, Steve”, he said.

As me and Rod stood and watched, he remarked, "its nice to see the all the guys in Maiden back together again, just being friends, kicking back and having fun, like they did when they were kids". It certainly looked like they were having fun. All except Steve, who was growing more and more frustrated every minute. He jumped wildly into the air, trying to catch the bottle, screaming tears of rage. Finally he gave in and cried, "you bastards, you're not my friends anymore". As he walked towards the exit, I reached out to touch his shoulder to comfort him. But he stamped his foot at me and snarled between angry sobs. I was stunned by all this and with my mind reeling, I too left the studio, wondering much about this strange rock troupe called Iron Maiden. Hey good luck with the new album fellas!