A mate in the UK spoke to 3 Maiden members, and Nick said something about Oz......

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Just got an email from a guy in London. He went to a Deep Purple gig on the weekend, and this is what he has to say:

"One great surprise were the special guests for Smoke on the Water on Saturday night, who
were Bruce Dickinson, Janick Gers and Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden!! So there
was 2 keyboardists, 2 vocalists, 2 guitarists (Janick and Steve Morse did a great duel
before Smoke started), 2 drummers and Roger all on stage at the same time!!
Janick was a man possessed as per usual, throwing the guitar around his neck and
up into the air and doing his high kicks and poses on the speaker cabinets!! "

He went backstage, and spoke to the Maiden dudes, and Nicko said this to him:

"Nicko said to us that they would be doing a big tour to promote the next
album with should definately include Oz and hopefully NZ as well.
"

Not getting too excited about that, cause he said SHOULD, but thought you's might be inter4ested

Just like Blitzy said, i'm not getting my hopes up, but it would be smashing if they did do even just one show down here.

The reality is that there is a better chance that they will tour here after the next album, because BNW sold reasonably well, so there is a bit of momentum going there way. Unlike when BNW was released, the previous album Virtual XI only reached no. 80 in the ARIA charts, which didnt give the promoters much confidence (even with Bruce & H back in the band).

BUT....i reiterate i wont be holding my breath on it.

Hey Mark, could you predict hot sex for the rest of my life with the womanwhousedtocatchthebus(tm)? Much appreciated, thanks :D

Yes but at least Nicko said "should" include OZ. So we cant be under any false impressions here.

The problem is that there are alot of factors to blame.

Smallwood.

EMI Australia.

Promoters down here.

Not enough sales.

Lack of media coverage etc etc...

Mark - did you get my email, re: the BNW flyers we did?

It was an unofficial chat, so there is hope :)
At least we didnt get Smallwood giving us some dumb rugby analogy :)

Maiden won't tour Australia again. Ever. If they do I'll dress up as the girl on Spawny's bus and let him have his way with me.

Exactly. The promoters can't really do much if the band and management don't want to bring the show here. Blame management, blame Maiden, blame EMI. If Edguy can have a couple of successful shows when nobody who isn't a metal fan has heard of them, then surely the most famous metal band in history who aren't Sabbath or Metallica can have a couple of successful shows too.

Originally posted by Tough As Steel
Mark - did you get my email, re: the BNW flyers we did?

Yes I did - I sent copies to Addie, don't know if they ever got their way through to management though...

How do we KNOW the promoters did what they could? Certainly some blame falls perhaps on the band too, but i dont see why the promoters should be blameless.

Unless any of us were present/overheard any convresations between Smallwood and the promoters, i dont see how we can say "dont blame the promoters". Because we dont actually KNOW what happened.