A breif guide to Mead!

Vecks

Mead Master
Sep 24, 2011
Now as all metal heads know, Mead is one of the most metal drinks around. But what is it? Mead simply is Honey wine; but its more of a beer than a wine! So is it easy to make the drink of the vikings? Yes.

Ingredients
Water
Honey
Yeast
Patience

So the proportions are hard to figure out, but Preferably 1 part honey 2 parts water. Mix the Honey and water together until they are one single fluid. Simply put them into a bottle (Prefferably glass but a 2l plastic bottle will do) Have some way of letting the gases out. If its a plastic bottle a simple pinhole neer the cap will or a baloon with a hole in it (Remember to put tape on the area you are putting a hole in to stop it from tearing), but if the container is glass you may need to look into water locks.

As for the yeast you will only need a Sache or two depending on how much you are brewing. Simply mix the yeast in, Leave the bottle of mix somewhere warm for about 2 weeks until it has fully fermented. Well done! You have Mead! But what now?

Remember. Filter it after the fermentation is complete.

Optional:

If you want to better the flavor you can leave it for months at a time!

So there you go! Mead! Now you can get shit faced like the vikings:kickass:!

Here is a video of Amon Amarth showing you how its done!

Last edited by a moderator:
:).... Nice!

I will try it. In my own apartement.:lol:
Can I use simply water from the main or better something like Volvic or so?
Think about to make one bottle with some grains of mustard seed as an additive too, because I like the combination from honey and hot mustard. I will see how it tastes.:loco:

Think about to make one bottle with some grains of mustard seed as an additive too, because I like the combination from honey and hot mustard. I will see how it tastes.:loco:

Any water should do! I use normal tap water myself. Good luck! Remember, The yeast will die off when the Alcohol levels get high enough (Usualy 16%-18%) So if you add too much honey you will get a VERY sweet brew!
Good luck!

One thing about brewing in plastic water bottles... they expand rather than explode (good) but they are soft as made to be used and disposed of after you have drunk the liquie. If used for brewing, does the plastic not seep into the liquid eventually?

Not at all, Why would they put things like Cocacola in them if the plastic would poison it? As for them explanding you need to have some way of releiving the pressure, Wether it be a small pin hole to a water lock! Ill post some pics of my current brew tomorow!

If your tap water taste good, it's usually OK to use.

If it tate of chlorides or similar, bottled water might just be better.

As is the case with all brewing, sanity is very very important to avoid infections.

It is told, that plastic bottles contain kind of hormone like substances which seep into the liquids (little amounts), especially if liquids are warm. But discussions are controversial wether these substances in such little amounts are harmful or not.

Our tap water doesn't taste of chlorides but it is quite calcareous.....

Is it true that the old Germanics simply used spittle for fermentation? Spring water, honey and spittle. (So that actually I don't have to buy yeast?:D)

It is told, that plastic bottles contain kind of hormone like substances which seep into the liquids (little amounts), especially if liquids are warm. But discussions are controversial wether these substances in such little amounts are harmful or not.

Our tap water doesn't taste of chlorides but it is quite calcareous.....

Is it true that the old Germanics simply used spittle for fermentation? Spring water, honey and spittle. (So that actually I don't have to buy yeast?:D)

Pardon but i am not sure what spittle is? I do understand that a must of honey and water can ferment without use of yeast, yet it takes months! I dont believe yeast is expensive.

As for the Calcareous water i would probibly buy a bottle of water just to be safe. In England they are only about 15 pence.

Pardon but i am not sure what spittle is? I do understand that a must of honey and water can ferment without use of yeast, yet it takes months! I dont believe yeast is expensive.

As for the Calcareous water i would probibly buy a bottle of water just to be safe. In England they are only about 15 pence.

Sorry. Maybe it is called spit, saliva?
No, yeast isn't expensive.

Sweet, let us know how it is when it's finished!

Its finished fermenting! Its now as alcholoic as it will be. Ill be drinking this on the weekend! Sadly my camera is playing up so i cant post pictures today. I will tomorow though after filtering.

To know when its fermented the yeast will sink to the bottom and it will stop making bubbles