A call to the established guys!

CubanDude

not really cuban
Nov 17, 2010
Hey dudes,

I was just thinking if maybe some of the established guys, I'm thinking of those you made producing a full-time job, can share your story how you got from your very first attempts to where you are now... i think it'd be very inspiring and motivational for guys like me, who are still noobing around :lol:

thanks in advance! :worship:

lets do it this way... maybe you guys can talk about what you consider a major turnaround or milestone in your careers :)

Touring very hard and being good at what I do, whilst being a good, non punishing dude, got me to where I am. The moral of the story - talent, work ethic, networking.

lets do it this way... maybe you guys can talk about what you consider a major turnaround or milestone in your careers :)

Well, simply recording a shitload of bands and one of them happened to be friends with the drummer and guitarist from a band on Relapse and also in a band on Willowtip. Seriously, just networking and word-of-mouth plays a huge role in getting enough work to do this full-time. Obviously that doesn't happen unless you do good work as well, but you get the idea.

Every band I have worked with said I am easy to get along and work with. I do demand a standard level of quality in their performances and can be pretty strict about it, but usually they say that just makes them better players by the time they are done working with me and they like that. That, along with doing work the clients are happy with and the aforementioned networking/WoM advertising, combined with aforementioned luck :lol:, is what changed things for me.

^ good one, keep it coming! Can you maybe elaborate a bit on with what kinda equipment you started with and how it developed from there on?

I've had a few different setups over the years, started off using a PC with Windows but after a year of that moved to Apple (one of the best upgrades I have ever done) and have always used Apple computers from then on. I can't even remember the first setup I had, but I know somewhere in there I had a M-Audio MobilePre USB :)Puke:). After that was ProTools with a 002R, then on to MOTU 8Pre with Cubase, then a Saffire 26i/o and the MOTU with Cubase, now ProFire2626 with MOTU with Cubase. Started with some crappy mics and eventually bought good mics as time went by. Used to mix on this ridiculous Sony hifi setup that was loud as fuckkk but then I got some BX8As and that made a huge impact on how well my mixes sounded/translated. blablabla :lol:

what do you mean "non punishing"?

In the Aussie music scene there are a few words for people who annoy you, don't shut up, hassle you because you're in a big band. They're called punishers, sweaters, desmonds etc. There are talented guys around, but they sweat real hard and people write em off. I wasn't referring to my career as an audio engineer but the band career, although, the notoriety brings me alot of work, despite the fact that many on here have superior mixes and engineering chops.

3AM. Perfect time to write this. Gonna make you work to decipher my dissevered rant, har.

Your first port of call will be to do everything you possibly can in order to build your portfolio. You need strong tracks/CDs behind you in order to promote yourself. Whether that involves splitting studio time fees with bands in order to entice them to track with you, doing some jobs for free, or whatever else. Your best bet is to find the most talented local band you can and do what you can to build a CD for them. The word of mouth which ensues from that will be like the stone falling in the pond, from which all ripples ensue.

It's a very slow, gradual process but you will eventually start receiving artists seeking you out based on whatever aspects of your reputation they've heard about. Whether it's that you did a cool CD for band 'x' or whether you're the cheapest guy in town... you need to make sure they have a bone to chew on.

You will eventually get a to a point... and this point is critical, as it may shape your career path from that moment forth. That fork in the road will effectively ask you what you want to be renowned for. Will it be as the guy who works really fast, and turns over projects on a dime? Will it be as the guy who delivers quality, with expense not being a factor? Will it be as a guy who specializes in an extremely narrow subgenre of music and monopolizes it? Will it be as a guy who is a balanced, all-rounder?

Try to think ahead and anticipate what part of the industry you want to be working in down the track. It's very easy to pidgeonhole yourself as the 'day demo' guy, who gets shit bands to record 6 days a week, yet still barely makes enough to pay the bills. It's also easy to pidgeonhole yourself into a particular genre or aesthetic, and get utterly trapped there. My suggestion would be.... when you hit that moment of clarity and you realize 'hey, I'm actually quite good at this', enforce your rates. Make them sustainable, and don't be afraid to turn away a few dozen artists in order to ensure your long-term success. You will likely go through large periods of drought with this approach, but in the end it's where you want to be. You want your skillset to demand an appropriate salary, and not settle for anything less. It's one of the only ways to stop yourself getting trapped in that grind of working with countless nobody-artists who demand too much for too little. You will become jaded, and very likely will leave the industry regretful. Think about creating a lasting career for yourself. Find your niche, work out what you're good at, and capitalize on it.

Word of mouth is still the #1 form of advertising in this industry. Leave good impressions with your clients. Make sure they're very happy with what you've done together. The internet is a very strong auxiliary, as it opens up the entire world to you. If you don't mind specializing as a mix or mastering engineer to a degree, then you can cultivate a great many clients from abroad just advertising on forums much like this one.

Be ready to make significant sacrifice in your social life. No girl you ever meet will be happy with your job, nor the hours you keep. Find a way to manage that, or get used to being single. When everyone is out getting shitfaced on a Friday night you'll be pushing through final revisions on your last mix, trying to make it all count before your mastering deadline on the weekend. While everyone is coming home at 6pm, you'll be saying 'see you tomorrow' to your tracking clients, then follow that up by booting up a mix you have going concurrently, and finishing up in the early morning, only to start tracking again 6 hours later.

It's a real labor of love, so if you want a lasting, professional career, you need to make sure you want it more than just about anything else out there, because you won't be able to have it all. At least not for the first decade or two.

Do any of ye have to ask your cleints to spread the word? I get alot of return business and my clients are always happy but I find lately I'm not getting many new clients- it's return business and people from bands I've recorded side projects along with a few new bands. I feel like I should ask them to spread the word a bit when they gig and talk to other bands.

I've also been shy about self promoting myself because I always felt I'd wait till my next gear upgrade before starting pages and putting my best foot forward. Has to be done though.

Yeah, +1 to what Ermz said. And double +1 to forgetting an active social life if you want to do this full-time. It's literally full-time. And then overtime. And double overtime. Regularly. :lol:

+1 to everything ermz has said. I am thankful i have a gf who work's as many hour's as i do building her own career so it work's out. And i never hang out with anyone anymore no time to. Thankfully Charles is my best friend so it is not all bad :)

Helluva post, ermz, thanks! Guess I rather stick to the plan and become a pimp :)

Awesome post

This is GOLD, dude, thanks man.

Feel free to reject this question if it's none of my business, but can I ask: are you comfortable financially or just getting by? I know you work ALL the time which makes me even more grateful for you being so active here, but I was just curious to know how this lifestyle is working out for one of the most established guys around here :)

actually ermz was one of the guys i was thinking of when i started this thread... love his work (no disrespect to any other guys around, many many people here produce awesome outputs and i really dig their stuff)... lasse would be another person i hope to chime in here with his story :)