"A closer end" analysis

Magrathean

worldbuilder
Oct 14, 2005
Faculty of Science
s1.zetaboards.com
Soon to appear on my site, along with the lyrics and a bunch of other stuff not related to the song:

-------

Blending perfectly with the concept of the album it is from, this song contrasts a person's reality with a fiction their mind has created; contrary to The mundane and the magic (analysis coming soon), however, it shows the negative side of creating fictions to escape our realities rather than a wish or need for it. It speaks of the downfall of this person caused by their awakening into the real world. They have reached a point where their downfall is both inevitable (It begins today; It seems you've passed the mark / Of indescribable dark) and irreversible (It's slow but final), and they will be undone by it (Awakenings will leave you stranded / Where no-one is listening / Where no-one's around!).

Unlike in other Dark Tranquillity songs, the protagonist here is a second-person character (they are spoken to by the singer/narrator) rather than the narrator himself or humanity in general. The song plays with both with the contrast between dreams and a waking state (So light up these days against With the darkest of waking dreams; As in the death of dream against Awakenings will leave you stranded) and metaphors of a duality in which both can coexist in both the mind of the protagonist and their life (With the darkest of waking dreams). The theme of death of fiction makes it a good closer for Fiction by playing with the title of the album (compare "the death/end of fiction" to "the death/end of Fiction). As in the best of Dark Tranquillity's songs, the individual metaphors can be interpreted in many ways even within the same song interpretation and the imagery is beautiful in a very-twisted way.

As in a life of rain
You're only alive when you're falling
The coldest chill
In the emptiness of reason..

A strange start for a song with the theme described above, the first two lines refer to how we only feel truly alive when we're falling. 'Falling' here means both the downfall of the protagonist, consequence of having lived a fictional life for too-long and of said life finally giving in and crumbling under its own dead and false weight (against what the victim, safe within their fiction's warm and protective walls, imagined, therefore leaving an "emptiness of reason", a blank space in their mind, as confusion takes over), and the very "fall" from fiction into reality. "The coldest chill" hints again at only being alive when one is falling by taking to the extreme that which constitutes the very core of feeling/being alive, which is feeling things; surely the coldest of chills must be felt, whether one is numb to lesser ones or not. But the line also tells us that falling into reality is the coldest chill, or the greatest shock or pain, one can feel.

You brought it upon yourself
It's slow but final, with nothing to gain..
It's slow but final
It begins today!

The fall was inevitable, as always is the case with fantasies designed to escape life: eventually some fault in them proves fatal and they shatter, leaving the creator with nothing, and so there's nothing to gain from being thrown in such a way into the real world. But "with nothing to gain" is also a sort of moral to the whole song: There is nothing to gain from making up an alternate world to cover up the horror of the real one.

So light up the days
With the darkest of waking dreams

This part of the song conjures the age-old metaphor of reason and knowledge "enlightening" or "illuminating" the existing darkness. The awakening into what is true and real sheds light on the protagonist's previous dark falsity because now the protagonist can see (and know) what is true. The second verse is simultaneously the continuation to the previous one, a beautiful metaphor about the nature of the aforementioned "lighting[-up] of the days", and another (equally-beautiful) metaphor that pitches the fictional "reality" of the protagonist against the actual reality to which they wake up and also reverses the positions of both "realities". That the "waking dreams" (the reality the protagonist has awoken to) are the darkest of all speaks of the bleakness of real life and reminds of "The coldest chill"; "the darkest of waking dreams" and "the coldest chill" are two ways of saying the same thing. And if what the victim of this shattering of fiction now inhabits is a "waking dream" it is because they were both "dreaming" in/about their forged world and oblivious to the existence of the real world (thus, what they lived was, to them, a waking state and not a dream).

For endless puzzles
To reflect our aim..

Let us remember the state of confusion and blankness-of-mind spoken-of in the verse "In the emptiness of reason". As our character is confused, at first, about this new world they have been pitched so-unexpectedly into, everything seems as a ceaseless conglomeration of puzzles. These "puzzles" reflect the protagonist's "aim" because they show how the protagonist was used to the fiction their brain had constructed and is now lost.

It's slow but final
It starts today!

It seems you've passed the mark
Of indescribable dark

Like the line "It begins today", these two lines portend the imminence and inevitability of the downfall being described in the song. That the "dark" of said undoing is "indescribable" is not merely an exaggeration (that "dark" is described to some extent a few lines after this); it is a sign that this is perhaps one of the worst things, if not the worst thing, that can happen to somebody (remember "The coldest chill" and "The darkest of waking dreams"). The verse also both prepares us for the ensuing description of the "dark" and suggests, in a sort-of-mocking way, that whatever words follow aren't nearly-enough to describe it.

I fear you drown
In hope of what you think will come
Extracted from the sharpest of moments
Built to greet you when the time will come
Empty spaces on foundations of denial
Your structure is dust...

"Hope is the last thing to die." How many times have we all heard this? The protagonist's hope, being the last thing to die (and so refusing to do so), still battles on: our hero hopes for everything to turn out alright, for everything to return to "normal" (their normal; their fiction, which to them is reality), for this to be only a dream (remember all the plays with the antithesis between dreams and awareness). But such hope, such "dust structures" "built to greet [the hero] when the time will come", is nothing more than "empty spaces on foundations of denial": the nothingness of a fiction built on denial of truth. And "Your structure is dust", aside from reinforcing the "foundations of denial", also emphasizes the aforementioned fact that all fictions are fragile and doomed to fracture and collapse.

As in the death of dream
Awakenings will leave you stranded
Where no-one is listening
Where no-one's around!

This short description of one aspect of our character's undoing again flirts with the concept of dreaming and with both words being at once dreams and waking realities. "The death of dream" here is the death of the fiction the song speaks about and also literally the waking-up from a dream. In both cases, one is stranded, lost, unknowing of whether one is still in the dream or not anymore, unaware of what is happening, could happen and will happen, and completely-alone.

It's slow but final
It begins today!

I'll have to look through the lyrics a bit more, but I like your interpretation. On my first reading, though (and without the benefit of having heard the song, to understand the vocal emphasis on specific words) the explanation to me sounds more along the lines of Katatonia's "Passing Bird", coupled with a third-party perspective of "Misery's Crown" (another 2nd person song, if you want to put that in).

Basically, not necessarily those who are forced to face that they've been living in a false world of their own construction, but rather those that wallow in their misery, fomenting thus more misery, in a cycle that eventually they cannot stop, leading to suicidal tendencies - or spawning from them? The chicken-and-egg aspect of some of those feelings could lead to the 'maze' reference. They take a grim pleasure out of knowing that they are more miserable than those around them, but when they finally see the error of their ways, it will be entirely too late - distanced from those around them, locked in a meaningless spiral, the awakening itself will lead to a greater plunge into depression.

Just a quickie thought.

~kov.

Maybe it would be best to group them by album or something?

Or maybe not do them at all.
I don't really get why you feel like you have to explain YOUR view on the
lyrics, it is after all not the only truth. I'd rather keep my interpretation to
myself and so should you. This kind of thing only makes you seem either
emo or artsy fartsy and neither is ever a good thing.

Just my 0.02€.
You may now shoot the messenger of truth.

Or maybe not do them at all.
I don't really get why you feel like you have to explain YOUR view on the
lyrics, it is after all not the only truth. I'd rather keep my interpretation to
myself and so should you. This kind of thing only makes you seem either
emo or artsy fartsy and neither is ever a good thing.

^ I agree 100%

I'm sure some forum members know of Bob Dylan???
Try wrapping your intellect around some of his songs
Bob said "my songs have no meaning they're just words that rhyme" :lol:

Well, if anyone came in and started harping around about how obviously song x reflects man's inhumanity to man, and how everyone else's opinion is wrong, I'd take issue.

However, it's been said before by Mikael, and been noted here as well, that there are different ways to interpret their songs, and often there are different layers of meanings. I find it quite enjoyable to read others' interpretations of DT songs, if only to enhance my own understanding. Often times, it'll allow me to listen to the song again, in an entirely new light - something I find fun.

Now, obviously, we can't claim to know exactly what Mikael was thinking when he wrote a set of lyrics, so I agree with you on that point, La Rocque, but at the same time we can still try to glean some further meaning from the songs with help from others. Yes, not everyone enjoys looking that deeply into the songs, but then it's a matter of opinion either way.

And lastly, I do think the band gets a kick out of hearing our theories. That's enough for me.

~kov.

As in a life of rain
You're only alive when you're falling
The coldest chill
In the emptiness of reason..

This paragraph here talks about one thing, and one thing alone: When you're going home after work, and it is raining. Then, as the floor is slippery, you fall down. It hurts, so you become aware that you are, after all, alive. Then, since you are all wet, you get the chills; and you know that if you were not a creature capable of reasoning, at least you wouldn't be so pissed about being cold and somewhat in pain because of the fall.

It's slow but final
It begins today!

This paragraph here is about failing your final tests at school because you didn't study. "It's slow" because it happens throughout the semester, or year. And final because... Well, it's the final tests, you know?
You have nothing to gain after failing the finals so you just go wild, which is emphasized by the line "It begins today", which means you no longer give a rat's ass about school and start livin' it up.

So light up the days
With the darkest of waking dreams

This line is an outcry against bad weather, to "light up" the days, to purge them from darkness and rain. the second part means that the days will be lightened with a waking dream, that is a dream of waking. So basically you fall asleep, and in the dream you "think" you have woke up, but you haven't - which is quite dark - and in that dream, you think that after you woke up, all of those days would be lightened, but it is only an illusion.

For endless puzzles
To reflect our aim..

This lines are about those really long family reunions in which the family members are given the task to arrange all of the pieces in a 15000-piece puzzle, the result is everyone wanting to shoot each other, and if anyone happens to get a gun, his aim must be reflected in order for the others to not be shot and die.

It's slow but final
It starts today!

It seems you've passed the mark
Of indescribable dark

The zone of indescribable dark is called Hadopelagic, and is the deepest part of earth's oceans. Obviously these lines are focused on deep-sea exploration and are perhaps directed towards sub-marine exploration robots.

I fear you drown
In hope of what you think will come
Extracted from the sharpest of moments

This is intended to give comfort to people who drown in the sea after getting lost because in their "sharpest moment" (that is sarcasm) they forgot to include a "map" or a "compass" in their "must take" list.

Built to greet you when the time will come

About greeting machines, used in Japan.

Empty spaces on foundations of denial
Your structure is dust...

This is about modern architecture.

As in the death of dream
Awakenings will leave you stranded
Where no-one is listening
Where no-one's around!

This is about falling asleep while driving through the desert-surrounded roads of Texas. If you are lucky enough not to crash, you'll wake up in a desolated environment.

It's slow but final
It begins today!

Who agrees with my analysis?

Kov: Interesting thoughts, especially the thing about Misery's crown. I hadn't thought of that song in that way. I'm about to do The mundane and the magic in a way that builds a bridge between it and A closer end through the album's title, so perhaps if you'd care to do Misery's crown in a similar way (expanding on the thought you posted) we'd have the beginnings of the most-complete DT full-album analysis ever. :)

anita_job: You can find on my site all (or most, perhaps) of the interpretations that have been posted on this forum. I tried to find interpretations on the other two forums (the old ones), but most of the links on one forum and all of the links on the other are dead even at http://web.archive.org.

Salamurhaaja: I don't feel like i have to explain my view. I want to explain it because i know that it's extremely-interesting to me to read other people's views about the lyrics of any DT song and maybe other people feel the same way and would thus enjoy my interpretation. Also, like Kov, i find that discussion like the one Kov posted here and the one that took place when i posted my One thought and My negation interpretations often helps me look at the songs in different ways, enriching my DT-listening-experience. It happened with Lethe; why shouldn't it happen again?

La Rocque: In the latest interview posted (and it was you who posted it) Mikael said that he enjoys reading people's interpretations of his lyrics on the forum. Way to go, intellectual-wannabe.

afz: :lol: I can't believe you. The part about "With the darkest of waking dreams" was rather-interesting, though. :) And the modern-architecture part was priceless. :D