Survivor analysis

Villain

Doctor BenQuillity
May 7, 2001
Finland
Visit site
This is long overdue since promised, but hey, better late than never, or what do they say...

Some comments about the first five rounds of the DT Song Survivor:

Song that were voted out in Part 1:
Round 1: Midwinter + Beyond Enlightenment
Round 2: Yesterworld
Round 3: Void of Tranquillity
Round 4: Misery in Me
Round 5: The Mind's Eye

Nothing surprising here, at least not before Round 5. The pre-Skydancer songs are simply not much liked by the majority, whereas nearly all other songs of this part have a rather solid following (no songs like Dissolution Factor Red or My Faeryland Forgotten here). Also, the non-existence of a studio-version for Misery in Me is surely a turn-off (for me at least). The Mind's Eye was probably just the "easy choice" of the last round - I doubt nobody really hates it, but as some of you said, it isn't a real song per se (but rather an outro for the album).

Songs that were voted out in Part 2:
Round 1: The Dying Fragment of an Elderly Dream
Round 2: Soulbreed
Round 3: Ex Nihilo
Round 4: Dissolution Factor Red
Round 5: Day to End

The first two songs should perhaps not have been included in this survivor: they are not just available only as poor-quality bootleg-mp3s, but they are quite damn bad songs as well. Well, once we had got rid of 'em, we got quite an unexpected result: Ex Nihilo was voted out on the third round! Perhaps it is just me, but I find that one instrumental song very interesting and enjoyable - not to the extent to claim it as the best song on Damage Done (unlike some Dark Tranquillity guitarist did), but at least mediocre by DT-standards. It appears the majority of you don't agree here, though... The following two songs were certain to drop out of this Survivor sooner or later - both Dissolution Factor Red and Day to End have a large anti-fanbase - so for the excitement it was better that they dropped off this early.

Songs that were voted out in Part 3:
Round 1: Unfurled by Dawn & Vernal Awakening
Round 3: Nightfall by the Shore of Time
Round 4: Midway through Infinity
Round 5: With the Flaming Shades of Fall

Here we got rid of the two pre-Skydancer songs on the first round already with an equal amount of votes (13) for each of them. Thus, round 2 was skipped and on round 3 we had to kick off the first "real" DT-song in this part - and as a small surprise to me, that was Nightfall by the Shore of Time! I certainly hate the opening scream and don't like the rest of the song much either, but seeing such a "legendary" song being voted out this early was something I hadn't expected. Anyways, Midway through Infinity was the next one to go and nothing else needs to be said of it. However, I was very disappointed to see one of my favorite DT-songs (as in "in the top 20" or so), namely With the Flaming Shades of Fall being kicked out on round 5 - you people have no taste at all! :p

Songs that were voted out in Part 4:
Round 1: My Faeryland Forgotten
Round 2: Ego Drama
Round 3: The Dividing Line
Round 4: Tongues
Round 5: The Enemy & Haven

This was definitely the "hardest" group of songs to vote, as there were no demo-era or bootleg-only songs in this part. The result was that some pretty good (IMHO) songs were voted out - especially the loss of Haven saddens me. :( I'm also somewhat surprised to see such "classics" as The Dividing Line and Tongues being kicked off this early, although I never held either of those songs above average (by DT-standards, that is). On the other hand, seeing My Faeryland Forgotten being kicked off on the first round was to be expected. The last round was a draw between Haven and The Enemy, so both songs were dropped out from the Survivor.

We had an average of 46 votes per poll; Part 2 / Round 2 got the least votes (39) and Part 4 / Round 4 got the most (57).

-Villain

Reactions: Arch and rahvin
thanks for the masterful, detailed analysis, villain. :)

my personal feelings: parts 1, 2, and 3 leave me unfazed: perhaps the best song for me out of those that have been voted off is the mind's eye, and i can live without that instrumental after all.

part 4, on the other hand, is hard to swallow. my faeryland forgotten and tongues are above average songs in my opinion, and while i expected the former to go soon, i'm a bit surprised by the latter falling behind... it's a solid juggernaught of a song, what's gotten into you all? :(
and then there's the dividing line, a song in my "top 25" mercilessly voted off despite being on a record you all say you love and worship.

and i just cannot believe freecard is still there. :bah:

rahvin.

I hate you all for voting off Haven With The Flaming Shades Of Fall, you really have a bad bad taste! :p

i am about to cry for the unfair fate of "the enemy". it's my favorite on damage done and it's also marked a moment in my life i will never forget, and for that matter it's not even an unhappy one. too good a song to be voted out IMHO.

Villain said:
This is long overdue since promised, but hey, better late than never, or what do they say...

Some comments about the first five rounds of the DT Song Survivor:

Song that were voted out in Part 1:
Round 1: Midwinter + Beyond Enlightenment
Round 2: Yesterworld
Round 3: Void of Tranquillity
Round 4: Misery in Me
Round 5: The Mind's Eye

Nothing surprising here,

indeed. :Spin:

what about Atom Heart 243.5??

as far as I can see it hasn´t been voted out and it isn´t in any of the remaining groups. not that I think it´s a particularly good DT song, but still...

nevermind. my brain just realized that if this was about round 1-4 and we´re now at round 9 there just might have been some other songs voted out... :rolleyes:

strange, by the way. I tried to delete this but it didn´t want to go away.

Haha, who has actually been voting on these polls? :lol:

It were Disliking-DT-Demons!!
OMG They send all the good songs off u_u,,,
:Smug:

No, seriously.
No-one seems very.. content with the voting.. :confused: Weirdos.
People voted.

The Grand Wazoo said:
No, seriously.
No-one seems very.. content with the voting.. :confused: Weirdos.

may i point out that if there's a total of 50 voters, and the song who gets thumbed down got, say, 9 votes, there's bound to be 41 people who are not satisfied with the result? ;)

Ah. :p

Don't mock me, I am teh bad with numbers :)p) 45723489473 x 7892384302 - 93493 + 54783537874 %^&4873678&^*#%&^&#%@ :loco:

Yeah, but what's the point of voting then, you would say? ..Maybe we need more people? :erk:

The Grand Wazoo said:
Yeah, but what's the point of voting then, you would say? ..Maybe we need more people? :erk:
err, no. it's a matter of relative vs. absolute majority. you can increase the number of voters to a million, and still the songs would end up being voted off by a minority out of the overall number of voters. this also happens on many a european country's election day. :p

the principle behind this process is finding out the widest possible agreement. if 9 people go for "therein" (the liberal party? ;)) and less people vote for any other song, then the widest possible consensus is on "therein". if there were therein vs. not-therein polls, the not-therein faction would win, but this also goes for every other option in the poll, regardless of the number of voters, most of the times. more relevant majorities will be obtained towards the end of the survivors.

Maybe it would be best for more people to vote like I do... wait and try to save your favorite songs. I don't want to be the only one to vote for a song, so I'm usually voting for one of the songs with a high number of votes, one of the top three...

Ah, bah. Definitely nothing I would ever do. (voluntary, in a poll, that is) Vote for the-most-votes-y-things. Okay, maybe its more.. efficient, but you're adjusting your own opinion to otehrs. And I like to avoid that, although 'tis almost never very possible.